Toronto 931 Yonge | 106m | 33s | CreateTO | Zeidler

It's a nice City-owned site near transit located in the home riding of Canada's Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister --- if the Feds want to get back into the "Affordable Rental" game in any serious way on the funding side, then here is a perfect 250-unit project for Minister Freeland to throw her "unlimited support" behind...

Location, Location, Location...

Updated STATS image, HNTO edition...

931_YONGE_STREET_Stats_20231121.png

I mean you cannot ban Amazon...they have 2-day free shipping and has everything on demand it will be difficult to get consumer to go shop local and pay a bit extra. Amazon's junk buying habit is to keep people hooked into signing up for Amazon's ecosystem of service. eg Alexa, Amazon Prime, Ring, and amazon owned companies.
Don't forget that Amazon sells entire categories of products not usually sold in brick-and-mortar stores such as graphics tablets and drawing monitors.

Don't forget that Amazon sells entire categories of products not usually sold in brick-and-mortar stores such as graphics tablets and drawing monitors.
Yeah, for their many flaws, Amazon fills a niche where they can get you products you might have to at the very least, drive hours for to buy at a store, if not go to another country to buy (assuming you can get them in a physical store at all).

Like, it's nearly impossible to buy football (American football, not soccer) cleats in Canada that aren't just bottom-barrel items that end up at Winners (which lack sufficient ankle and/or arch support), as we don't have a big high school/university football culture. So your only options are Amazon, or spend way more to go to the US and find a Dick's Sporting Goods. And as someone without a car, trying to go shopping in suburban Buffalo just isn't realistic, leaving Amazon as the only option.

Why would anyone ban Amazon? The platform allows small Canadian manufacturers to sell goods beside huge multi-nationals. How many opportunities exist like that?

We can take the Amazon discussion into some more appropriate thread, this isn't really it............

My response, mostly tongue-in-cheek, was in response to the suggestion that the the former is a significant traffic generator.

Which, it is..............

And yes, a great deal of that is frivolous consumption........

That said, the relationship between that and this development is more than a tad tangential.

If there's real interest, let's find a better spot to debate that.

Reactions: AHK
This is true.... but bricks and mortar retail probably generates a lot more traffic. We should ban that :)

For typical mainstreet retail this is almost certainly not true.

Because large swathes of inventory are delivered all at once; and because the end retail customer in older parts of the City is likely to have walked or taken transit. Delivery is much smaller portion of the business.

Again, however, I think we ought to return this thread to its intended topic.

Wow, really like the direction this building is headed. It's so close to transit though, so I would vote it gets even taller!

Back