Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This is from the model-making company's website. Do we actually know if this is what they have built? Do we know why some is in orange?

Broadly congrent I'd say. Not sure what the orange denotes...food services?

re: cleaning

Generally nice, but I hope they revisit it towards the street level - the stains are a bit unsightly still.

AoD

Broadly congrent I'd say. Not sure what the orange denotes...food services?

re: cleaning

Generally nice, but I hope they revisit it towards the street level - the stains are a bit unsightly still.

AoD

The street level will probably always be dirtier; especially with snow in the winter being pressed up against the columns.

Came across this model of Union Station retail

Union+Station+Retail+01.jpg

http://www.mccann.on.ca/office-models/slcffsgto6cwrv80knxgtjz254z2p4

Compare - the orange area is more open on the model than the drawing.

Almost entirely new. There is no dig down immediately under the centre and York side of the head of house (the current concourse will be lowered however ).

AoD
I believe from what I saw in 2013, York side was dug down as per this photo. Some of the centre was dug down at the south end
8432871529_7e6f646abe_b.jpg

Is the retail level an entirely new level dug below the GO concourse?
Essentially, yes - as the above said - not everyone realizes digging is occuring below the floor while keeping the station operating - many Torontoians will get a shock in 2015-2016 when they realize how massive an engineering accomplishment just occured; to install a whole new shopping mall / PATH system / pedestrian bypass, all under Union, and make the GO concourses far more organized and open. They don't all realize that the GO concourses are tripling in square footage, while separating the stores below to a whole new mall level.

Torontoians are still incredulous that Union can actually expand to handle 3x more train & pedestrian traffic at peak than today, after this "little reno" and other Union Corridor tweaks. (and, NY Penn Station, a similar number of tracks and platforms, already handles something like approximately 3x more traffic.)

Last edited:
Just slightly to the left is some hoarding that leads to an escalator down into the retail area.

GO Wickets

Last edited:

Back