Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

There are so many opportunities to do this all over downtown. I hope it becomes a trend.

It revitalizes ugly old office buildings while also adding residential density.

There are so many opportunities to do this all over downtown. I hope it becomes a trend.

It revitalizes ugly old office buildings while also adding residential density.

picard-facepalm.jpg

The precast has character unlike the faceless glass facade. It does make me wonder to go through the expense of stripping the extremely heavy facade for the aesthetic value of glass. Are there structural issues with the anchor points?

The precast has character unlike the faceless glass facade. It does make me wonder to go through the expense of stripping the extremely heavy facade for the aesthetic value of glass. Are there structural issues with the anchor points?

The precast grill is falling apart - walk by the building and you can literally see metal brackets holding it (the vertical fins) together.

AoD

Last edited:
Without wanting to sound too hysterical on the subject of preservation, I think it's urgent that notable buildings from the original Modernist era--such as 480 University--be given heritage status, otherwise we are in danger of losing virtually everything from this period. If such huge steps are being taken to preserve rather mundane structures from just a few decades earlier (the warehouses on King St f'r instance) there is no reason why much more unique facades such as the one at this site shouldn't be preserved and incorporated into the rebuild.

Of course we could question the need to rebuild or add floors at all but University Ave is likely the best place in the city to add massive density. Indeed, if city planners were smart they would encourage developers to reach for the sky on this stretch of pavement since there's no place in the city with better transit capacity. (Wide street, wide sidewalks, underutilized subway during off peak hours).

The precast grill is falling apart - walk by the building and you can literally see metal brackets holding it (the vertical fins) together.

AoD

This building was owned by a pension fund prior to Amexon. They sold it not because they didn't like the building but because of the liability stemming from the facade crumbling. Unfortunately the facade CAN NOT be saved. Full stop. Period. They were looking at ~$30M to put in curtain wall 10+ years ago.

This building was owned by a pension fund prior to Amexon. They sold it not because they didn't like the building but because of the liability stemming from the facade crumbling. Unfortunately the facade CAN NOT be saved. Full stop. Period. They were looking at ~$30M to put in curtain wall 10+ years ago.

They could have rebuild the facade in the same style, but a plain wall of glass passes as architecture these days.

They could have rebuild the facade in the same style, but a plain wall of glass passes as architecture these days.

I'm not usually a fan of this Yamasakieqsue (if that's even a word) style, but it had a strong presence on that corner that I'll certainly miss. Saying that, I never experienced how much the views were obstructed from the inside due to the grills. I assume they had quite an impact on the amount of light entering the floors.

I'm not usually a fan of this Yamasakieqsue (if that's even a word) style, but it had a strong presence on that corner that I'll certainly miss. Saying that, I never experienced how much the views were obstructed from the inside due to the grills. I assume they had quite an impact on the amount of light entering the floors.

It's a dark interior for sure.

I think they should have do striations on the glazing to echo the effect of the original. I'm sure the glass would be much more expensive that way but it could look striking.

Unlikely because the concrete glazing obstructs views and natural light. The update will maximize the leasing potential of the office space and keep it competitive.

Believe me, I wish it could be saved or recreated, but I really think that only heritage protection could have saved it.

Unlikely because the concrete glazing obstructs views and natural light. The update will maximize the leasing potential of the office space and keep it competitive.

Believe me, I wish it could be saved or recreated, but I really think that only heritage protection could have saved it.

It would be kind of neat if they can use fritted glazing with a pattern mimicking the concrete grill.

AoD

Yeah, it looks like Core is working within a budget and trying to evoke the original strong grid pattern with contemporary spandrel, but I think it'll turn out more like X Condos.

Condolife says this the atrium here will be 50 feet! I wonder, how many developments in Toronto come close to or exceed this height.

Back