News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 5h

Chow, of course, was in Ottawa representing a Toronto riding, Trinity-Spadina, in the House of Commons.

Stintz just continues to shoot herself in the foot with these stupid comments.

Gee, I wonder how her and Saint Jack, living in the same house, were representing different ridings.

I found it funny that Stintz of all people went for the jugular calling Chow "Double Dipper Chow". It's one thing to say someone is going to this, or that, but to put a name on someone.. ouch. If anything, she as a women, can get away with calling names more than Tory or Ford could as they would come off as bullies.

On a side note, try listening to either Stintz or Chow for more than 30 seconds uninterrupted. Really hard to get through.

So, I talked to a relative who basically knows lots of middle-aged Cantonese speaking Chinese-Canadian suburbanites (long list of adjectives eh?), asked him what they thought about the various candidates.

Basically, he told me that Chow being able to speak Chinese, or being Chinese, has almost no relevance. In fact, they are hardcore members of Ford Nation. They absolutely loooove the way Ford talks about not wasting money, keeping taxes low, keeping his office budget low etc. Also, many in Scarborough simply want the subway because "subways make their property values rise", not because of any of the multitude of reasons we discuss on this forum. They don't really like Chow because she's in the NDP and has the reputation of being pro-union and pro-taxes.

At the end of the day, you can't assume that everyone in a given demographic group thinks or votes the same way obviously, but I thought it might be interesting to share my discussion about some members of a demographic that is perhaps less likely to post on this forum or online in general.

So they like Ford because he keeps their property taxes from increasing, but they want a subway to increase the value of their property which would result in them paying more property tax? (I think that's how it would work... not sure if they'd end up paying more for sure if everyone in the area's property taxes went up, though)

Last edited:
^(ehlow) You nailed it why alot of immigrants like Ford. They are weary of any politician that acts and talks like a typical Politician.

Many immigrants opened up their own businesses. And there's nothing more they hate than someone linked with the Unions who strike, demand early retirement, demand increased pension, and entitled sick days. When business owners get sick, they suffer. There is no paid vacations. They take all the risk, while taxes keep going up to pay for someone else's reward (ppl who they deem to be spoiled and lazy).

I never thought of it from the property value increase angle. I guess it makes sense for the money-grubbing minority filled Scarborough.

So they like Ford because he keeps their property taxes from increasing, but they want a subway to increase the value of their property which would result in them paying more property tax? (I think that's how it would work... not sure if they'd end up paying more for sure if everyone in the area's property taxes went up, though)

The rate of increase on the house would be double digits, while tax increase is single digit. What I find hilarious in all this is when he talked about 'Orientals work like dogs. They sleep beside their machines'.

All these people who don't understand what Ford meant was calling Ford a racist, when in fact, most 'Orientals' took that as a compliment.

to speak Chinese, or being Chinese, has almost no relevance. In fact, they are hardcore members of Ford Nation. They absolutely loooove the way Ford talks about not wasting money, keeping taxes low, keeping his office budget low etc. Also, many in Scarborough simply want the subway because "subways make their property values rise".

I guess that means Chow will need to address them on how Ford hasn't really saved money/found waste and generally hasn't done much for them.

Gee, I wonder how her and Saint Jack, living in the same house, were representing different ridings.

I found it funny that Stintz of all people went for the jugular calling Chow "Double Dipper Chow". It's one thing to say someone is going to this, or that, but to put a name on someone.. ouch. If anything, she as a women, can get away with calling names more than Tory or Ford could as they would come off as bullies.

On a side note, try listening to either Stintz or Chow for more than 30 seconds uninterrupted. Really hard to get through.

You mean like Rob Ford living in a different ward than the ward he represented as Councillor? Other current Councillors do that as well.

Rob ford has the Muslim and south Asian vote on lock.

Neither of those groups will vote for a pro gay agenda candidate.

Rob ford being homophobic only makes him more popular.

The 1980s liberal multiculturalism project is coming home to roost in GTA

Whatever effect it may have inside the voting booths, it gets attention.

I have read political biographies where candidates have said when they tried to talk about infrastructure few showed up.

But, when they jumped up on a stump and started ranting about sensitive issues they attracted bigger crowds.

No it doesn't. It grabs him a few votes from a few like minded bigots while alienating him from the rest of the city.

I hope you're right on this. But in truth, we don't know how big a block it is.

There is a strong anti-gay undercurrent in these cultures, we just don't know how they translate in a Canadian context or whether it is even a deal breaker type of concern.

Focusing your energy and message on what the other has or hasn't done instead of what you are going to do may not be wise.

I wouldn't say it was necessary to focus the energy/message on that, but it would be about contrasting what you're going to do with what the other guy failed to do.

Back