Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Image from that article:

11_wellesley_hi_res.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Seriously? They're not going to tear down that hideous stretch of crap on Yonge as part of this proposal? (

Apparently there is some kind of bylaw that requires developers to build only on land they own.

Seriously? They're not going to tear down that hideous stretch of crap on Yonge as part of this proposal? As soon a this park is build, that low rise lot on Yonge in the block immediately to the S of this one will instantly be "protected" from future development to avoid shadowing...in a downtown park in the heart of the city. Sigh... :(

With the exception of three or four buildings this block has some good old stock - in need of some work, but good stock.

So are they proposing one building or two? The application suggests two but the rendering is only one. I thought they might go higher here too given the price of the land.

It's likely just a preliminary massing study with arbitrary height (ie. look at how the tower appears to plopped onto the parkland without any transition or dialogue). Considering that they're exploring a one-tower concept, I'd estimate Lanterra proposing 60-80 storeys. I'd still like to see a streetwall framing along Wellesley though.

It's not even a massing study. They are merely saying "a tower could go in this spot and the rest could be park, this is just a possibility". Don't read anything more into it than that. That image was likely put together from a generic modern fantasy tower rendering, and then an artist was told "show the rest as park, don't sweat the details".

The two tower submission has been coming for a while. It takes quite a bit of work to prepare them and a couple of days worth of talk in the media is not enough to undo that. So, the City has received the application to build two towers above a podium, and that's the official starting point of talks.

If they've already submitted an application for a two-tower concept, I'd doubt the sincerity of Lanterra's claims re: exploring a single tower solution.

^^ There should be no tower at all. Further more, the park should stretch all the way to Yonge Street.

Image from that article:

11_wellesley_hi_res.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Seriously? They're not going to tear down that hideous stretch of crap on Yonge as part of this proposal?

I assumed that those buildings on Yonge Street would be demolished and the new park would stretch all the way to Yonge. We appropriated buildings to make Dundas Square happen and the same thing needs to occur here. That token park they're proposing is pathetic. Can't Toronto get anything right?

Last edited:
Why would you assume that? Lanterra doesn't own the buildings on Yonge, as has already been stated.

And just because you may not like the low-rise on Yonge does not mean that everyone agrees they should go.

Why would you assume that? Lanterra doesn't own the buildings on Yonge, as has already been stated.

And just because you may not like the low-rise on Yonge does not mean that everyone agrees they should go.

I was under the impression that the land had been set aside for a park. Building a tower on part of it doesn't square with that.

Regarding the buildings on Yonge, my views on this has little to do with my like or dislike of those buildings on Yonge. It has to do with the needs of a modern Toronto over the next 40-50 years. The core is going to get much much denser and this is one of the last opportunities to build green/public space of any size fronting on Yonge.

Sometimes its wise to recognize the bigger picture. Those 3 floor Vics with retail at grade served the city well for a century, but one needs to make sacrifices once in a while for the greater good of the city. Far too often Toronto arrives at these compromise solutions when a clean slate is needed.

These piece meal measure don't serve anyone particularly well.

Last edited:
Personally I think the fantasy, while probably just a fantasy, looks fan-tastic. Lanterra, I hope you make it so and ensure public access at all times to the full area of the park in the rendering. Tower looks awesome to me, wouldn't have any problem with it being 200-300 ft taller either.

Can't Toronto get anything right?

Blame the provincial government. The Province said all along that the land was being sold off to the highest bidder. The city had s. 37 bids at its disposal to make a bid but not enough to overcome Lanterra's deep pockets.

Blame the provincial government. The Province said all along that the land was being sold off to the highest bidder. The city had s. 37 bids at its disposal to make a bid but not enough to overcome Lanterra's deep pockets.

Doesn't the City have the power to block any development it chooses though? Sometimes the good of the city needs to trump the interests of private enterprise. Lanterra could be forced to sit on the sidelines forever if the City forced its hand.

Back