News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 920     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Mustapha's photo (June/2011) of the National Club reveals the newly constructed Trump Tower to the left.
The other image is a view of the north wall of the National Club before Trump arrived.

And prior to being a parking lot, a Woolworths store stood here for many decades; up until about 1990 I think. Thanks Goldie.

Then and Now for November 8, 2012.

Then. A continuation of yesterdays post; this time a WNW view of Wilmot Street. #s 4 - 20. July 29, 1949.

85150pacessofsackvilleandgerrardlookingw.jpg

Now. June 2012.

852.jpg

They look similar to the British "two up two down with a netty in back" that you see all over northern England. Had they survived, I suspect that they would be quite desirable now.

They would be desirable now, I agree.

Even the present buildings and grounds, if improved with modern HVAC, windows, lighting, ventilation, and greenery and quality walkways, might go far in giving additional livability to this area. But it is all slated for demolition, yes? I travel and occasionally see other assisted housing areas in American cities and some are like ours, some are maintained with lots of pride. It's a matter of leadership, not money, in things like this.

And before Woolworth's......

POSTCARD-TORONTO-WOOLWORTHBUILDING-BAYANDADELAIDE-c1950.jpg

.....the following seen in 1930:

f1231_it1569.jpg

The seeming easy availability of sweets and smokes in old Toronto pictures makes me wonder what our ancestors spent their disposable income on. I do believe this was a quiet Sunday.. Laura Secord's window display is bare. For an old time treat, buy their 'lollys'. The butterscotch one is a treat. :)

Then and Now for November 9, 2012.

Then. c1947. McDougall & Brown Funeral Home. 1491 Davenport Avenue.

8531491davenportc1947.jpg

Now. 1491 Davenport puts the location here; an 80s mini-subdivision takes up the whole block now.

854.jpg

I discovered this great site yesterday and have been working my way through from page one! Re the old North York Market (City Limits), I’m sure the car dealership occupied the same building; you can just see the old brick facade behind the new plate glass facade. The Loblaws store is completely new construction.

I grew up in York Mills (‘50s and ‘60s) and remember going with my mother (once) to the old farmers market. It was big, draughty and noisy. I also remember going with my father when he bought a car at that dealership

I discovered this great site yesterday and have been working my way through from page one! Re the old North York Market (City Limits), I’m sure the car dealership occupied the same building; you can just see the old brick facade behind the new plate glass facade. The Loblaws store is completely new construction.

I grew up in York Mills (‘50s and ‘60s) and remember going with my mother (once) to the old farmers market. It was big, draughty and noisy. I also remember going with my father when he bought a car at that dealership

nostalgic, Hi and welcome.

I remember going with my gramps to buy his 1966 Buick Special there; the entry level Buick of that year; he just had to have a Buick.

Thanks for that link, Mustapha - a wonderful tour.
The first word that comes to mind is - elegance.
Perhaps not the right description of the 'operating theatre,' but still......

Thanks for that link, Mustapha - a wonderful tour.
The first word that comes to mind is - elegance.
Perhaps not the right description of the 'operating theatre,' but still......

Elegance costs money, big money; while Mr Scadding was building his cabin here in the colonies, the Mother Country was doing stuff like this. Just amazing to my mind, the wealth that England could muster.

How have you been Goldie? Here is a Kodachrome slide show for you. :)

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/02/last-kodachrome-slide-show-201102#slide=1

R1239214.jpg

Just inside the doorway of St James Cathedral are some grave stones removed from the burial grounds that flanked the church. The interments are still there, but the memorials were removed at some point in history. A few can be seen just inside the doorway. I took a moment to read a few of them.

R1239219.jpg

R1239213.jpg

R1239212.jpg

The 10 year old T. Radenhurst. Could this:

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=4149

have been the father?

Last edited:

Back