Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Momofuku Noodle Bar seems to be getting mixed reviews on the Internet. It's wildly popular (with hour+ lineups), but I think that's causing some people disappointment in the food, which may be merely good and not exceptional.

Shoto, which features a $150 tasting menu, appears to be open. Daisho, the larger, full-menu restaurant, is set to open on September 25. Daisho will offer some of Momofuku's famed 'large format' offerings like the fried chicken ($125) and bo ssam (pork shoulder, $240) which must be ordered for a group. Nikai, the bar, is open.

Shangri-la's main restaurant is Bosk. This is not a cheap option, either. The lunch menu is $58/72 (2/3 courses), and breakfasts look to be $20-30+.
http://www.shangri-la.com/toronto/shangrila/dining/restaurants/bosk/menu-wine/

But I guess this reflects the customer that Shangri-la is going for. International jet-setters. Expense account executives. Local foodies, and those who travel for food.

Noodle Bar's $14 ramen may be your best bet if you want to dine in Shangri-la on a budget. There is also the lobby lounge and bar for tea or cocktails.

I hope Shoto has five star service and food to go with those 5 star prices. Toronto is severely lacking 5 star quality food and service. I have dined at ONE at the Hazelton, TOCA at the Ritz, STOCK at Trump, all 3 of those restaurants i found underwhelming when it came to service and food.

i was in Washington DC recently and ate at the five star Alain Ducasse restaurant called Adour at the St Regis Hotel, Both the tasting menu and service was spectacular! I hope to see that caliber of food and service at Shangri-la and Café Boulud at the Four Seasons.

I agree with you Gabe. I've had very good meals in Toronto, but very rarely excellent ones... and service and value are definitely an issue in Toronto, generally speaking. I keep hearing that things are changing, that Toronto is a foodie hot spot? I'm willing and wanting to believe it, but just haven't seen it for myself yet.

I hope Shoto has five star service and food to go with those 5 star prices. Toronto is severely lacking 5 star quality food and service. I have dined at ONE at the Hazelton, TOCA at the Ritz, STOCK at Trump, all 3 of those restaurants i found underwhelming when it came to service and food.

i was in Washington DC recently and ate at the five star Alain Ducasse restaurant called Adour at the St Regis Hotel, Both the tasting menu and service was spectacular! I hope to see that caliber of food and service at Shangri-la and Café Boulud at the Four Seasons.

I was very pleasantly surprised with Canoe. Food was excellent and service impeccable. By far the best food/service combo I've had in Toronto. Places like Piatto (shockingly) in Mississauga have excellent food but the service isn't friendly at all.

I agree with you Gabe. I've had very good meals in Toronto, but very rarely excellent ones... and service and value are definitely an issue in Toronto, generally speaking. I keep hearing that things are changing, that Toronto is a foodie hot spot? I'm willing and wanting to believe it, but just haven't seen it for myself yet.

Toronto is a foodie hot spot when it comes to hipster meat restaurants. Think of the whole shenanigans when the Globe and Mail let go of Joanne Kates who supposedly referenced an old school reverance for white table cloth service. I think we've denigrated fine dining into dimly lit charcuterie boits that people think are avant garde.

Both have their place... but we've neglected high end gastrony in my opinion.

Interested Have you moved in yet?

Please let us know if you are still on this board, and how things are going at Shangri-la

I have it and own it.
Am still deciding what to do with it. May rent it or alternatively have family in it. I may keep it for our pied a terre.

The place is improving daily. It is understated casual elegance. That is the best way I can describe it.
Staff very friendly. Hotel amenities are great.

I have it and own it.
Am still deciding what to do with it. May rent it or alternatively have family in it. I may keep it for our pied a terre.

The place is improving daily. It is understated casual elegance. That is the best way I can describe it.

Awesome.

Well thanks for the info. It's great to have an insider on this site, that actually owns a unit in this high end building.

I have it and own it.

I have no issue living there while you make up your mind. :p

I have no issue living there while you make up your mind. :p

thank you The King East.....I will take your suggestion under advisement.

Seriously, it was to be a pied a terre for us with a view to future use more full time. We are just considering the issue now.

After all, we made the decision to buy 5 and 1/2 years ago.....one's thinking can change over that time frame.

Tonight:

IMG_1322.jpg

Back