205     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 592     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 958     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford obviously doesn't enjoy his duties as mayor. I wonder, if secretly he's hoping that the judge boot him out? That would give him an oppportunity to fade from public office, or continue his pig headed fight that he'll be back in 2014 just to show those pinko leftiest that the taxpapers of Toronto love him. And that's what all of this is about. Ford needs people to love him. Afterall he certainly didn't get any love growing up.

While there is plenty of (Toronto/Canadian) press coverage of the Rob Ford-led Toronto delegation to Chicago, I'm having trouble finding reports from Chicago media. Are they not excited about the visit of the Toronto mayor, several city councillors and a large contingent of business leaders? Who will be representing Chicago besides Mayor Rahm Emanuel? What civic and business leaders will our team be meeting?

canmark:

They can be forgiven, there are bigger fishes to fry (e.g. the ongoing teacher's strike) than a delegation from another city - even we host a ton of those things.

AoD

While there is plenty of (Toronto/Canadian) press coverage of the Rob Ford-led Toronto delegation to Chicago, I'm having trouble finding reports from Chicago media. Are they not excited about the visit of the Toronto mayor, several city councillors and a large contingent of business leaders? Who will be representing Chicago besides Mayor Rahm Emanuel? What civic and business leaders will our team be meeting?

I looked too and found nothing.

Ford's little side show, the trip to Chicago, is designed to play to his faithful followers here, and may only get a brief mention on a Ken and Barbie news show at 11 in Chicago. I don't think there is anyone there interested in this trip, and it has obviously been drummed up to give the appearance that the Ford Regime is actually trying to accomplish something here. Just fuhgeddaboudit.

Ford's little side show, the trip to Chicago, is designed to play to his faithful followers here, and may only get a brief mention on a Ken and Barbie news show at 11 in Chicago. I don't think there is anyone there interested in this trip, and it has obviously been drummed up to give the appearance that the Ford Regime is actually trying to accomplish something here. Just fuhgeddaboudit.

Well, the local news in Chi this week is going to be about the teachers strike. Unless Ford gives the finger to somebody on the Dan Ryan (not impossible) there just won't be room for him this week.

But I would say that Ford's trip to Chicago is no more ridiculous than Miller's trip to Copenhagen back in 2009.

Trade missions probably visit here and we never take notice. It means little that the arrival of Rob Ford and entourage isn't front page news in Chicago. However, I've been wondering how committed to the well-being of Toronto the attendees are. Do Mike Harris and Ernie Eves live in Toronto? Or is Toronto being represented by someone from North Bay and another from Muskoka (or, if they're hanging around this area to work their connections, from Oakville)? Do they work everyday downtown for those companies they are said to represent, or do they sit on the boards? Harris is said to represent a law firm, but he's not a lawyer.,

From OpenFile:

After attacking reporters on radio, Rob Ford gets challenged to a debate

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

I doubt it'll go anywhere, but no matter. It's an interesting development. If it does happen, which I strongly doubt, I hope to be able to make it.

Too bad we didn't get Calgary's mayor; just a basic comparison between him and Ford is astounding.

Controversy follows Rob Ford to Chicago

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/18/rob-ford-on-chicago-trip-its-jobs-jobs-jobs

CHICAGO - Mayor Rob Ford may have left Toronto but he couldn’t shake controversy Tuesday.

Ford toured Chicago’s Millennium Park to kickoff the start of his two-day Team Toronto Business Mission but ended up shouting down questions about taxpayer-funds being used to help the high school football team he coaches.

And during a friendly chat with Chicago residents, he ended up mistakenly saying Manitoba was across from Detroit — rather than Windsor.

The mayor has spent the last week refusing to talk to reporters about allegations he used taxpayer-funded staff and resources for the youth football teams he coaches.

During a photo opportunity beside Millennium Park’s Cloud Gate, Ford at first ignored a question from a reporter who asked why Chris Fickel, a mayor’s office employee, drove a City of Toronto vehicle to a football practice Tuesday for the Don Bosco Eagles — the team the mayor coaches.

Asked a second time, Ford finally responded:

“A car that I paid for right?†Ford said. “Do your homework. I paid for it last year.â€

George Christopoulos, Ford’s press secretary, then jumped in to cut off the questions.

“Thanks guys, the photo op is over,†he said.

Ford ignored follow-up questions asking him to clarify if he is misusing city funds.

“Am I going to be sleeping with you ... tonight?†Ford asked a reporter while laughing. On his Sunday radio show, Ford said he expects to roll over in bed and find a reporter spying on him.

The reporter replied, “I hope not.â€

“I hope not too. Go home,†Ford said. “Holy smokes.â€

“How does this create jobs?â€

Ford eventually walked away from reporters surrounded by his staff.

Christopoulos later clarified the mayor’s office budget was charged $2,706.14 for use of a city vehicle in 2011.

“The mayor has never believed taxpayers should pay for all political office expenses,†he said. “In 2011, he wrote a cheque for $4,000 to cover the cost of business cards, stationery, newspapers and car expenses.â€

According to city records, Ford paid $1,078.92 towards the cost of the car in 2011. This year he has yet to reimburse the city for any costs for the taxpayer-funded vehicle.

Tuesday’s photo opportunity started out well enough with Ford marveling at the stainless steel, bean-shaped Cloud Gate sculpture and suggesting Toronto should have something similar, perhaps shaped like a football.

“This is really cool,†he told reporters.

Acting like he was in full election mode, Ford greeted tourists and Chicago residents in the park and handed out his business card.

When he asked one girl where in Canada she had visited, she said “the part where you go past Detroit and the river.â€

“Oh, Manitoba,†Ford said. “Oh, you were in Manitoba and Winnipeg?â€

Someone corrected him by pointing out Windsor is the Canadian city beside Detroit.

Another man sang the praises of Toronto to the mayor.

“We love your town. My wife and I haveeen there 30, 40 times,†he told Ford.

“It’s like Chicago, it’s a great walking town.â€

Wow! Did Rob Ford RUN to Chicago??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 9.14.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 9.14.43 PM.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I know, I know, Windsor and Manitoba are easily confused.

Ford visited Millennium Park. He visited the Cloud Gate aka The Bean and posed for photos. He started greeting residents and tourists who walked up to see the man surrounded by TV cameras. He was friendly to these people, talked up Toronto and handed out his business card encouraging them to call him anytime if they need anything.

Although this exchange did happen:

Mayor Rob Ford: “Whereabouts in Canada?”

Girl: “The part where you go past Detroit and the river.”

Mayor: “Oh Manitoba.”

Someone in crowd: “Windsor.”

I know, I know, Windsor and Manitoba are easily confused.
I guess now we know why Rob Ford flunked out of a Geography degree twice.

I wonder if it's too late for a FOI act request on his exam papers.

Wow, the Toronto Sun going after Ford again. Sue-Ann Levy must be losing respect in the Sun's newsroom. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back