Toronto The Garrison at The Yards | ?m | 12s | Onni Group | Wallman Architects

The delay in Bathurst re-construction is going to make this project a little odd when it gets to ground level. The sidewalk is supposed to be level with the street... but the street is still a bridge currently when it isn't going to be. I wonder if the city has told the developer the elevation the street will be at when they finally get around to it.

Today:

5620528728_66fb311537_b.jpg

Im sure going to miss the Amsterdam Brewery..and hope they re-locate in the area.:)

Wait... what? I somehow missed this news... what's happening to the brewery?

When i was there just after new years i asked them if they were planning on staying for a while..the fellow said that they were looking at about 1-2 years until the building gets demolished to make way for development, which i assume is the final phase of CityPlace.

Here is future aerial view (marketing the L.D.Condo) that i found on the Context site regarding the above post. It clearly shows new development tucked in that location, it also shows the rail barrier wall extended all the way to Bathurst street which was discussed in another thread and uncertain to be built.

aerial1.jpg

There was suppose to be a lot of retail in the base of these buildings right ? Is that still going ahead.

An article:
http://www.nationalpost.com/homes/Fabulous+facades/3678564/story.html#ixzz12ZJjM1QS
The retail space at grade will have a glass curtain wall with recessed entrances, which Mr. Wallman says will provide visual breaks in an otherwise continuous expanse of glass.

But I could swear there was another article that made a bigger deal about having retail here. Maybe it wasn't this development.
It was big box retail as well if I recall, which this area is really missing!

What, i would hate to see any big box retail in this area unless they can design it to look small and fit into these projects.

People say this all the time but they can make it fit and there are examples in Toronto!

You say you hate it but people look for these sort of things and likely drive far out of there way to get there. I'm referring to the future shops / best buys / staples (although there's a close one I believe) / ... so on.
I think this would be an ideal locaton for another grocery store as well.

Here is future aerial view (marketing the L.D.Condo) that i found on the Context site regarding the above post. It clearly shows new development tucked in that location, it also shows the rail barrier wall extended all the way to Bathurst street which was discussed in another thread and uncertain to be built.

aerial1.jpg

I love the look of the train artery running through the city: bold and defined, and an authentic intact historical reminder of the reason for Toronto's original rise to prominance.

I love the look of the train artery running through the city: bold and defined, and an authentic intact historical reminder of the reason for Toronto's original rise to prominance.
That is a lovely sentiment, but the railway right-of-way cuts off the city from the lake far more so than the Gardiner does. I really wish that whole section could be roofed over and a park put on top, giving access to either side.

(The above image also makes it clear that, visually at least, the Gardiner is becoming less and less of an issue as the old railway lands fill in. Soon the expressway will have buildings abutting it both north and south for a large part of its length.)

Back