News   May 28, 2024
 287     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 589     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 2K     0 

Harper Proroguing Parliament again

What's particularly insane is the assertion that Liberals/New Democrats were anymore aware of what was coming, let alone that they're prepared for it. A year in advance of the downturn Harper forewarned rough economic times were ahead, those most choose to gloss over that fact. And virtually everyone knew the gov't would impose deficits by the spring of 2008. Beyond that, it was completely out of Canada's control just how far the global economy would collapse. Nobody can reasonably expect governments to see the future.
He also promised that if he was re-elected, he would deliver a balanced budget, even after all his warnings.

Turned out it was the biggest lie in the history of Canadian politics

He also promised that if he was re-elected, he would deliver a balanced budget, even after all his warnings.

Don't be ridiculous. Few besides you are pillorying him for not currently running a balanced budget in this economic climate.

We were headed into deficit before the recession started. Go check out PBO and private sector forecasts from summer 2008.

Also, the issue is not so much the deficit, but that Harper knew he was going to run a deficit and lied to us all during the election.

Don't be ridiculous. Few besides you are pillorying him for not currently running a balanced budget in this economic climate.
It's the promise that was ridiculous. The opposition pointed it out at the time. It's not like the size of the deficit is anywhere close to the extra spending.

It was a bald-faced lie that was done only to advance their standing in the election. For that they deserve to be pilloried.

You really enjoy a bold statement don't you? The liberals can steal money from the pockets of fixed-income taxpayers but to you a flimsy election promise is the 'biggest lie in the history of Canada'? Thank you for the lesson in perspective vs partisanship.

You really enjoy a bold statement don't you? The liberals can steal money from the pockets of fixed-income taxpayers but to you a flimsy election promise is the 'biggest lie in the history of Canada'? Thank you for the lesson in perspective vs partisanship.

When did the liberals steal money from the pockets of fixed-income taxpayers because I think that should have been a bigger news story. Did they sneak up behind the taxpayers and take the money when the taxpayers weren't looking. Or did they distract the taxpayer with a diversionary tactic and then strike. We need to make sure this never happens again because it sounds terrible.

I think I'll take $40 million missing/stolen over 13 years of a government over $165 billion in deficits over another. One has to acknowledge that there is always going to be a degree of corruption in government. It needs to be identified, controlled and prosecuted. But that does not excuse incompetent fiscal management.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Perhaps you could provide some references to support this strange story of yours.

And if this is a reference to the sponsorship scandal from ... oh, ... 4 governments ago, then don't you remember it was the Liberals who called in the RCMP and called an enquiry over it. The guilty parties were prosecuted and imprisoned.

Or is this a reference to the $millions of dollars the Liberals paid to former Tory PM Brian Mulroney after he sued for suggesting that he took kickbacks from Karlheinz Schreiber ... which it turns out was indeed a waste of taxpayers money.

Last edited:
Aren't the Conservatives in the middle of a current-day scandal where in the past 4 years they have transferred tons of public funding around many ridings and then pushed the money back out in a scam? The difference with sponsorship is that it just hasn't become big public knowledge, but is an open secret of sorts??

Anyway, the theme the Liberals and NDP and others can pounce on Harper with is this theme of weakness. When the Liberals prorogued Parliament in 2003 it was because of the infighting between Martin and Chretien and the transfer of power, so of course it was not big news. Stephen Harper is simply throwing his hands up and running away from his job. Its a different kind of environment to prorogue in.

The theme of this year should be if Harper doesn't want the job, why give it to him? Would make for great election material should an election be called this year.

Aren't the Conservatives in the middle of a current-day scandal where in the past 4 years they have transferred tons of public funding around many ridings and then pushed the money back out in a scam? The difference with sponsorship is that it just hasn't become big public knowledge, but is an open secret of sorts??

Dismissed by the courts (I think), and no one cares.

Dismissed by the courts (I think), and no one cares.
The Federal court round in favour of the Conservative Party on the "in-and-out" spending, saying it doesn't violate the Elections Act ... but there still an investigation ongoing on advertising spending in the 2006 election.

I'd hardly think that no one cares though - over 1,000 people provided input on the CBC article about the decision - http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/01/18/tories-in-and-out-election-spending.html While the comments are often moronic, it would appear that many people care.

It likely won't affect the polls because it's relatively politically benign. If I were to ask 10 of my friends, 2 might have heard about it.
And yet you declare that no one cares. No one seems to be 20% of the population ... isn't that the percentage that voted Tory in Toronto in the last election?

Perhaps it would be better to simply discuss your views, without trying to extrapolate your views to everyone else.

Back