News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Why the Hate for Mississauga?

Ok, Ive read this board long enough not to join into the fun, so here it goes.
I grew up in Mississauga, and Now live downtown. Ive lived in a big city, a medium sized city, a small town, in the sticks, and Mississauga. I have liked them all, except Mississauga. I describe it as growing up in some depressing industrieal suburb behind the iron curtain in the communist era. I know its not that bad, but the place just sucks the soul out of you. Miles and miles of simmilar houses, strip plazas, cookie cutter schools surrounded by vast brown fields and massive parking lots. A terrable place to raise a family in my opinion. Thank god my parrents moved away, so I never have to go back again!

Ok, so we all have a little dislike for the place we grew up, and I actually like some places south of the QEW. I grew up in the Mississauga built in the 1960's, so the housing stock and the properties are a bit better than what they build now. Anything north of Burnhamthorpe is garbage IMO.

This fourm is full of people who like urban environments, urban built form and genuine cities, the kind we used to build in North America before the war, before we sold our souls to the automobile. Mississauga is post war suburbia at its worst! Some people like having a house on its own piece of property, and enjoy driving everywhere, good for them. But I would bet, that if a lot of those mississauga types grew up in a streetcar suburb place closer to the core, they would question their knee jerk love of Mississauga, and see a better way to live.

OK, end of rant. :)

I've grown up in Mississauga, and yeah no doubt the place has its flaws. For one, the transit system here is horrendous, and unless you already have access to a car, it really is a last resort option of getting around. Personally, taking a cab is easier than taking the bus in this town.

There is no prototypical downtown/entertainment core as seen in large cities, yes, but if you know the right people and places, you can make a decent night out of nothing in Mississauga. There are numerous spots throughout the city that I would say adequately substitute an overly expensive night out in downtown TO.

I myself grew up in a beautiful, and wealthy area of Mississauga. (Clarkson-Lorne Park; by the Lake) Only here could my family have possibly owned property with a 1.5 acre backyard, with such close proximity to the central core, and at a far lower cost of living. The Clarkson GO is situated very close to this area, and can get you downtown anywhere from 20-35 minutes.

People here in Mississauga do not necessarily want to live in the anti-thesis of urban living, but the place offers many opportunities not easily found within the confines of a large, urban city. For one, purchasing a house is obviously much cheaper for most of Mississauga, not to mention the lower civil and property taxes. Many families prefer the tranquility of this suburb, and heck, all the best to them.

A Kleenex is a tissue and a Xerox is a photocopy.

And Mississauga means.....what exactly?

Toronto Megaburbia. Say the name and you know exactly the synapses it'll trigger.

Somehow, "Brampton", "Vaughan". or "Markham" don't have that same universalizing effect.

And honestly, I don't know any schools in Mississauga that are surrounded by brownfields... that actually sounds kind of dangerous.

Well, I ment Mississauga is surroundind by vast brown fields(aka some of the useless parks) and parking lots. The schools applied more to me cookie cutter comment.

The question is also what is Mississauga? It is all kinds of things and places. Much of if is indistinguishable from the rest of the GTA. To me it is the airport, the stretch of 90's office buildings along the 401, Erindale campus in the summer, some old wealthy leafy subdivision in the south. Old Britannia School House and the architecture of the Peel Board of Education. Engineering megalomania in the form of main street arterials wide enough to land a jumbo jet on. The parking lot of Square One.

The question is also what is Mississauga? It is all kinds of things and places. Much of if is indistinguishable from the rest of the GTA. To me it is the airport, the stretch of 90's office buildings along the 401, Erindale campus in the summer, some old wealthy leafy subdivision in the south. Old Britannia School House and the architecture of the Peel Board of Education. Engineering megalomania in the form of main street arterials wide enough to land a jumbo jet on. The parking lot of Square One.

To me, it's home. I like it here. That's not to say I wouldn't like living in the big city -- I have, and I did, and I may even do so again one day -- but for the moment, I'm not going anywhere.

Though one thing I REALLY hate about Mississauga is the Mississauga News. A city of 700K+, one of the biggest in the country, and the only form of media representing it is the ugliest, saddest-ass paper in the history of papers. My high school paper looked better than that, and we had to cut and paste that crap together. I don't know what their excuse is.

I think that when Hazel was elected Mayor of Mississauga, the electors were thinking that since she was the Mayor of the town of Streetsville before their amalgamation, that Missississauga would become an expanded Streetsville.

Didn't turn out that way. Instead of the expected walkable town like Streetsville, they got autoville, where they need a car to get around for even small items like milk or a lottery ticket.

Unfortunately, being an incumbent for so many years means she'll get easily re-elected.

good point about the mississauga news...

and speaking of news, the recent conflict of interest findings against Hazel have made front page news @ the Star...

http://www.thestar.ca/Article/703050

but funny enough no comment section to register what has usually become a soapbox for outrageous, rage-filled and ill-informed comments by anonymous users (case in point, last week's David Miller stepping down news). Now, if there were a comment section to this article (on this rather huge oversight by the Mayor) would anyone actually even post and register a complaint against Hazel? That is a sign of a healthy community!

and apropos to that, apparently thecity of vaughan is exploring ways of reinvigorating its voting population (good luck, there!)

Last edited:
I think that when Hazel was elected Mayor of Mississauga, the electors were thinking that since she was the Mayor of the town of Streetsville before their amalgamation, that Missississauga would become an expanded Streetsville.

Didn't turn out that way. Instead of the expected walkable town like Streetsville, they got autoville, where they need a car to get around for even small items like milk or a lottery ticket.

Unfortunately, being an incumbent for so many years means she'll get easily re-elected.
But isn't "autoville" the nature of most suburbs? From a visual standpoint, Vaughan looks like uncontrolled sprawl to me. Specifically Maple. The only area in Mississauga that looks like pure urban sprawl to me is eglington and Winston Churchill and even then they're developing many apartment/condos across from Erin Mills Town Centre.

Toronto Megaburbia. Say the name and you know exactly the synapses it'll trigger.

Somehow, "Brampton", "Vaughan". or "Markham" don't have that same universalizing effect.

Having lived in Mississauga my whole life, I'm sorry but I guess the same synapses are not being triggered in me. You say Mississauga, I hear home.

And by home there's two distinct places. I grew up in a post-WWII area, Mineola West, and it bears no resemblance to where I live now (cookie-cutter subdivisions, which is what a lot of you seem to think Mississauga is). To a great many of those South Mississaugans, North Mississauga is virtually unknown. They barely know Eglinton. They almost never know Britannia, Derry, Steeles, or Creditview for that matter.

I've grown up in Mississauga, and yeah no doubt the place has its flaws. For one, the transit system here is horrendous, and unless you already have access to a car, it really is a last resort option of getting around. Personally, taking a cab is easier than taking the bus in this town.

There is no prototypical downtown/entertainment core as seen in large cities, yes, but if you know the right people and places, you can make a decent night out of nothing in Mississauga. There are numerous spots throughout the city that I would say adequately substitute an overly expensive night out in downtown TO.

I myself grew up in a beautiful, and wealthy area of Mississauga. (Clarkson-Lorne Park; by the Lake) Only here could my family have possibly owned property with a 1.5 acre backyard, with such close proximity to the central core, and at a far lower cost of living. The Clarkson GO is situated very close to this area, and can get you downtown anywhere from 20-35 minutes.

People here in Mississauga do not necessarily want to live in the anti-thesis of urban living, but the place offers many opportunities not easily found within the confines of a large, urban city. For one, purchasing a house is obviously much cheaper for most of Mississauga, not to mention the lower civil and property taxes. Many families prefer the tranquility of this suburb, and heck, all the best to them.

I believe this is a myth. Mississauga has higher property taxes than Toronto. In my experience, there's very little that's actually cheaper in Mississauga. The cost of housing is cheaper (initially), but otherwise it's on par with the city (or more expensive).

Having gone to UTM, I really didn't have any preconceived notions of Mississauga, even though I can remember family friends frequently putting Toronto down when I was a kid. I quickly realized, however, many had some very silly notions about the city. I can't even count the number of remarks I'd get about how dirty the city was, how much crime it had, how mean people were, and just how much better Mississauga was. A lot of people were just joking of course -but it wasn't hard to tell people from Mississauga generally had a sense of superiority.

Personally, I don't hate Mississauga. It has some nice areas. It also has a lot of problems - criticism is not something I find the locals take well. It also doesn't help that many of the things I point out as problems are non-issues to them. People don't seem to have many expectations - as long as there's plenty of free parking and cheaper housing, they're happy.

Well I tend to pick on Mississauga because the in-laws are there, which means I have to drive around there often enough ... rather than the other 'burbs. But in general it's no worse.

Having lived in Mississauga my whole life, I'm sorry but I guess the same synapses are not being triggered in me. You say Mississauga, I hear home.

Sounds like a pretty culturally insular notion of "home" to me. Like, how could you be so oblivious to how the name "Mississauga" carries a mixed mythic ur-suburban quality akin to, say, "Long Island" relative to NYC?

We're talking about Toronto's first and premier real boomburb: the first out-of-Metro municipality to hit 100/200/300/400/500/600/700 thou--and the fact that "Mississauga" as a named political entity didn't exist before 1968 only enhanced its ur-suburban reputation...

Back