News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 570     0 

294 Richmond E @ Sherbourne (TLS, 6s, Sweeny &Co.) COMPLETE

do you honestly think though that most developers actually care about great architecture?

Money vs. Architecture....not veyy hard to figure out which one trumps the other!

I think they do care about architecture. However, money does come into play and is usually the deciding factor.

Adding height to rooms allows developers to create the impression of more space without having to add square footage, though. It's a visual trick. And it's very much a fashion, given how many people now channel the boho life in even taller loft spaces - as opposed to the grande horizontale aesthetic of low Prairie-style living spaces. I've noticed how difficult it sometimes is for retailers to do anything convincing with the tall new spaces available to them - in places like MoZo for instance.

Which scenario would many of you rather have:

1. 900 SF with 9ft ceiling height; or
2. 1010 SF with 8ft ceilings?

Definitely 900 SF with 9ft ceiling height.

I'd take 750 SF if it had 9" or 10" ceilings over the 1010 SF with 8" ceilings. Nine feet should be the absolute minimum as far as I'm concerned.

Why? And at what point does the restriction on floor space combined with the addition of height become unattractive for you? 600 sq. ft. with 11 ft. ceilings? 500 sq. ft. with 12 ft. ceilings? 400 sq. ft. with 13 ft. ceilings?

Which scenario would many of you rather have:

1. 900 SF with 9ft ceiling height; or
2. 1010 SF with 8ft ceilings?

In the above units, the cubic feet is the same.
Given the choice, I'd rather have the 1010 SF.

Personally, I find 8 feet ceilings are high enough if the unit isn't miniscule (ie. < 600SF) and it has floor-celing windows. Also very important is the interior layout.

I would like to see developers have larger units with 8ft than offer smaller units with higher ceilings.
But unfortunately, zoning is based on Gross Square Feet, not cubic feet.

Last edited:
I'd love to be able to buy a 20x20 box in which you can add levels to your hearts content. Throw some holes in the walls to slip extendable beams into to make a human sized hamster cage. Throw in some slides, ladders, etc. Maybe create grooves in the walls so that you can plug in things like shelves, bookcases, storage boxes, etc.

Some of the other buildings in that area have really high ceilings (our apartment went up to 13 feet through the largest room, and even higher under the bubbled skylights).

not a fan of facadism. insert anything by christopher hume here.

unfortunate but what can we do.

side note: everyone should walk in this area. beautiful. britain street, just north of this development, if a hidden gem with great architecture and alleyways.

Grandiosity and illusion of space. A clever interior designer can make 8" feet seem spacious, but an extra foot or two in height gives you a lot more to work with.

An extra foot or two in height makes a space that much closer to "~lofty~", which I know isn't for everyone, but I have personally seen equal-sized apartments with different ceiling heights, and I always prefer extra height. I'd be very surprised if I'm alone in this, but it could be a result of growing up in a quasi-rural bungalo. I despise short ceilings and I just don't see the appeal.

I'd love to be able to buy a 20x20 box in which you can add levels to your hearts content. Throw some holes in the walls to slip extendable beams into to make a human sized hamster cage. Throw in some slides, ladders, etc. Maybe create grooves in the walls so that you can plug in things like shelves, bookcases, storage boxes, etc.

You can, in fact! I visited this prefab dwelling on exhibition at MoMA a few months ago:

momaprefab83wz3.jpg

Back