Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

LOL. They go up the construction elevator, and then climb the crane. The crane doesn't just keep getting taller. Look up how cranes work on google :)

Holy sh*t ... do you climb that everyday to get up there?
What happens when it reaches 10+s high?

Yes I climb it every day...

But from the top floor of the building...

What I meant in my last post was that we jacked the crane up...

As the building goes up, the crane climbs up with it...

I actually am pretty lucky with this crane...

I see some that are 300' free standing...and the poor guy has to climb the whole thing...

My first crane was 16 floors up free standing which I had to climb for about 6 months...

That was One Sherway....

23 December 2008 photo update

Glass cladding appears as I drive by this afternoon:

DSC01896.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

VÜ Panorama from George Street on December 28, 2008

3144954808_14bc33a006_b.jpg

Follow this link to zoom in (double-click on point of interest) and out (shift double-click).

January 5 2009 update

work underway on north tower's 15th floor ... I find the brick used a little dark (a lighter shade of brown would have been nice IMO)

North Tower - east view
IMG_3072.jpg

North Tower - northeast view
IMG_3073.jpg

I love the brick used for the base. Very classy. Compare it to the crappy looking brick on the building to the left in the first picture.

I walk by every day and I just love the base. Both the brick and the height of the podium are excellent. Every point tower should have at least a four story podium that's right up to the street.

i often wonder whether projects like VU and London, which are located in heritage neighbourhoods, should even attempt to match the brickwork of their surrounding buildings.

generally, i think it looks nice, but certainly not as nice as their older counterparts. if they didnt strive for continuity they could employ much more refined, or dynamic cladding material.

i say this mostly because in cabbagetown, they just built this townhouse/ starbucks which uses fake, "weathered" brick in 'honour' i suppose of the neighbourhood. i find it kinda gross.

Local ratepayer groups push the developers to make their building fit in. Hence the use of red brick on the lower levels of most of the buildings going up here.

North tower looks to be topped off.

Back