Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

It's probably the angle of the camera it was taken. Also MLS podium isn't exactly a square shape.

See here:
IMG_2447.jpg

render1b.jpg

Last edited:
That side isn't finished yet. Everything on that side gets extended to the east another 20-30 feet

See here:
IMG_2447.jpg

render1b.jpg

Khris. I was down there today and I think what you are seeing is not a sloping floor; but the actual floor plate narrowing. If you look at the photo you posted you can see that the western (errr Eastern) side of the floor plate runs slightly from North-East to South-West.

Last edited:
November 5, The ACC renovation with the new external screen. Success rising in the background.
3017246599_1fe795e962_b.jpg

Soon we will no longer be able to see Mats Sundin at the ACC.
3017246645_1e538a6539_b.jpg

MLS skylight.
3017188373_f78291de0c_b.jpg

...and in 30 years they will open up a walkway during Doors Open and allow people to see these shrines to Mats and Chris Bosh, like they do with the unused Queen Subway station.

I am sure very few people will agree with me, but the bridge between the ACC and MLS is a little uninspiring. The columns supporting the bridge look like they are paying respect to the Gardiner and it looks almost like an afterthought in the planning process. They could have worked this detail out just a little more IMO and made the bridge into another key architectural element. The way I see it, this bridge will stand out quite a lot especially when there are people gathered in the square, but also just generally as an element which spans between two larger objects..I know it sounds petty, but in all honesty, in architecture as the saying goes, "dog is in the details."

p5

-

It didn't look that bad in the renderings. It was something like the Eaton bridge connecting to The Bay.

The columns supporting the bridge look like they are paying respect to the Gardiner

That's absolutely hilarious... great eye!

It IS a Gardiner Distressway support column!

The question is: are they being clever (proximity to the Gardiner)... or accidently tragic (proximity to the Gardiner)??

The "support" is indeed a perfect mini-me Gardiner support... if you zoom in, I think you can see rusting rebar.

Maybe there's a YYZ style driverless train going in... that would explain the need for such a "support".

IMG_2447.jpg

It is a shame that the bridge is so uninspired looking. Although the ACC and MLS are not exactly the most inspiring buildings in the world either. Sure they are both nice, but nothing really amazing.

That's absolutely hilarious... great eye!

It IS a Gardiner Distressway support column!

The question is: are they being clever (proximity to the Gardiner)... or accidently tragic (proximity to the Gardiner)??

As someone who does not have a deep and fundamental loathing for the expressway, I gotta say... that's awesome.

This actually bears a striking resemblance to the pedestrian bridge over Highway 11 at Webers (the burger joint near Orillia). Got forbid they paint this one a similar orange/yellow colour.

I am actually fairly sure that the Webers bridge was orignally installed over the moat that was once at the base of the CN Tower. Evidently ugly pedestrian bridges are one architectural feature that the former railway lands will never escape.

I am actually fairly sure that the Webers bridge was orignally installed over the moat that was once at the base of the CN Tower. Evidently ugly pedestrian bridges are one architectural feature that the former railway lands will never escape.

yup... it was moved when they built the skywalk i believe..

Back