News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

This from the Waterfront Toronto October 2008 Newsletter: " Later this month, Waterfront Toronto will begin construction activities of the next two wavedecks at the Rees and Simcoe slips. Construction activities include hoarding installation, dockwall repairs, structural pile drilling, decking and public realm improvements. The Rees and Simcoe wavedecks are expected to be complete by summer 2009." There are renderings at http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4856731e283a3.pdf They are also planning the Spadina Bridge and appear to be moving ahead on that too. A rendering of it is at the link above.
No talk that I can see of the other bridges or slips (though Jarvis and Sherbourne are part of those two Parks, which are proceeding, and the Parliament one is tied up in the EA for that area.

Thanks for the post.

The Simcoe wavedeck is certainly going to be interesting to see if it ends up as 'wild' as the orginal proposal.

The choice of West8/DTAH's proposal was a wise one. One of the principal components of that plan is real possibility of quick implementation. It's showing now. :)

I agree. Hopefully some of the bridges will begin construction too in the near future

there's some info on the spadina bridge in the procurement section. the alignment is kind of weird to me, but nothing particularly new. work is suppose to start march 2009 and end january 2010.

there's some info on the spadina bridge in the procurement section. the alignment is kind of weird to me, but nothing particularly new. work is suppose to start march 2009 and end january 2010.

Jogged along harbourfront last week and noticed they are piling down metal beams into the water at the slip east of Spadina. The one further east is also fenced out.

Wish they would do something with the Peter St Quay (how did that Quay get that name anyways?) besides the bridge - the lowered water level is exposing really roughed up concrete with rebar sticking out, and also the garbage it collects needs something done considering they cant get the garbage boat in when the water level is this low. And also, do something about the homless people under the bridge who cook the ducks during the night sometimes and fix the bridge so the streetcars arent so noisy when going over it.

lol ... cook the ducks at night? Are you kidding?

I was at work when I read that and couldn't stop laughing. I probably shouldn't be because it's sad if it's true.

Anyway, good point regarding the noise. Actually - I find the streetcars along QQ are very noisy in general? What is causing this, will the new streetcars possibly be quieter?

I believe half the problem is there is no rubber noise dampners - those are not suppose to be put in until they redo the tracks. And yeah, its true about the ducks - I've seen it with own eyes - they even have the bonfire happening under the bridge, with the fire station spitting distance away as well. Amazed they get away with it, although I havent seen anyone underneath there is the past month or so so maybe thats done for now..

What would really help is if the Coffee Time across the street was actually a second cup or starbucks or some other trendy type of cafe.

Does anyone know if the Coffee Time site has any hopeful future? It seems like its only real function is serving as a billboard post for the Gardiner. How in they hell they still in business with those condos around is absolutely beyond me.

Believe it or not, that building was home to Frank Gehry's first Toronto commission (Chiat/Day offices)--don't know how much of his work survives, if any...

Very glad to see more slips on the way. Spadina is a *huge* success. However, the slips aren't going to be anywhere near their full potential until the long-promised Queen's Quay revamp happens. I noticed this was not mentioned at all in the most recent WT status report. Does anyone know where it's gone? Mired in EA?

Back