News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

General railway discussions

Don't forget, this is proposed for a place near the equator where there is more direct sunlight overhead. For Canada, it may be optimistic, but not as much there.
True, but each PV cell has a maximum power output. I still think their claim is optimistic but I'm just going by the image in the article. The image lacks scale but I'm guessing less than 3sf (sorry - old world numbers) and I'd be surprised if it was able to produce much more than about 50watts. Using 2000/mile that about 100Kw. Their 44MWh seem to be using a calculation of daylight hours a year - at the equator - and not accounting for any cloud cover, sun angle shading, which is unrealistic, even for a tracking array.

Keep in mind that they are talking about energy (Watt hours) and not power (Watts). Their 44 MWh may sound impressive. But when you consider that it's over a year and over 2000 rail ties, it's not that big a deal.

44 MWh for 2000 ties is 60 Wh per tie per day. Given the sunny conditions in that part of the world, that's actually not unrealistic at all. India gets an average of just under 8h of sunshine per day. So we're talking about a panel that can output 7.5W when the sun is shining on it. Here's a 10W panel with an area of 142 square inches:

If you need 80% of same panel you can have panels that are 5" x 23". That seems relatively easy to place in the standard railroad tie.

Whether this whole thing is cost-effective with all the power electronics and wiring involved is another matter.

Indeed. Seems better to me to build solar canopies over platforms. That might at least generate some power for stations while offering protection for passengers. And those would generate a ton of power, not far from where it can be used, at a lower cost per watt installed. Putting solar panels into the bed of a right-of-way only makes sense if you're incredibly constrained on space to install solar. Can't think of any place in the world that doesn't have roofs or parking spots or land they could cover with solar, before resorting to this.

solar might be workable beside and above railway alignments - and might thereby act as a power source for signals or switches or other remote equipment which might require use of diesel generators, or otherwise intrusive connections to regional transformers.

This specific idea makes little sense to me as it seems designed for frequent replacement due to debris or vibrational wear and tear

Lots of railway signals and other devices (such as flange oilers) are solar powered, but with conventional solar cells mounted on conventional mounts.
One good pass with a tamper, and solar ties could be ruined. I can't take this idea too seriously, although I'm sure it will be attempted somewhere.

- Paul

An interesting fact. Russia - country with the most sanctions in the world, the country is in active war and very little possibilities of importing technologies. Guess what? They are building high speed rail between Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, 679 km will take 2 hours 19 minutes with locally made trains going up to 400km/h. Construction has started already, will be completed by 2028 with 40 train per day in each direction and later increasing in frequency to 10-15 minutes by 2030.

I'm always excited about this kind of projects around the world, but it makes me sad at the same time. If Russia can do it, why Canada can't? We don't even have to invent new technologies or trains, we can just buy anything and everything we can possibly need (Russia can't).

If we don't invest in real high speed rail today instead of this HFR, I don't see it happening in the next 40 years...

An interesting fact. Russia - country with the most sanctions in the world, the country is in active war and very little possibilities of importing technologies. Guess what? They are building high speed rail between Moscow and Saint-Petersburg,

I've been on that line a couple times; its been HSR (> 200km/h) since at least 2015 if not a lot longer. So what exactly are they doing? Upgrading existing track in the existing corridor to support modern China Railway rolling stock?

Canada can, and has, built all the HSR lines that voters are in favour of building. This type of infrastructure loses as many, or more, votes as it gains. A 1% GST reduction was very popular and far more costly budget wise.

Last edited:
I've been on that line a couple times; its been HSR (> 200km/h) since at least 2015 if not a lot longer. So what exactly are they doing? Upgrading existing track in the existing corridor to support modern China Railway rolling stock?

Canada can, and has, built all the HSR lines that voters are in favour of building. This type of infrastructure loses as many, or more, votes as it gains. A 1% GST reduction was very popular and far more costly budget wise.
Moscow - Saint Petersburg has HSR since 2009, it takes 4 hours as of today, the speed is not higher than 200km/h usually with some short sections going 230-250 km/h. Sounds good to me, but not good enough apparently. Not sure exactly what are they doing in terms of tracks. But definitely getting new made in Russia trains. Very curious how it's gonna go..

Reactions: rbt
An interesting fact. Russia - country with the most sanctions in the world, the country is in active war and very little possibilities of importing technologies. Guess what? They are building high speed rail between Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, 679 km will take 2 hours 19 minutes with locally made trains going up to 400km/h. Construction has started already, will be completed by 2028 with 40 train per day in each direction and later increasing in frequency to 10-15 minutes by 2030.

I'm always excited about this kind of projects around the world, but it makes me sad at the same time. If Russia can do it, why Canada can't? We don't even have to invent new technologies or trains, we can just buy anything and everything we can possibly need (Russia can't).

If we don't invest in real high speed rail today instead of this HFR, I don't see it happening in the next 40 years...
It is amazing the things that can be done when you are an elected dictator.

You've hit the nail on the head. We vote for lower taxes, and sit in astonishment as the health care system that was part of our national identity 10 years ago - along with our transportation system - collapses to third world standards in front of our eyes. I'll use my LCBO paper bag to barf in I guess. If I ever live near a HSR line it will be because I've moved to another country so that I can have health care for the rest of my retirement.

You've hit the nail on the head. We vote for lower taxes, and sit in astonishment as the health care system that was part of our national identity 10 years ago - along with our transportation system - collapses to third world standards in front of our eyes. I'll use my LCBO paper bag to barf in I guess. If I ever live near a HSR line it will be because I've moved to another country so that I can have health care for the rest of my retirement.
To be fair the lower taxes party in Ontario has given us the biggest transit expansion in history, and fare integration. (OTOH it seems left or right nobody cares about day to day operations, just announcing expansions)

You either have the lower taxes privatize party or the $80 million for gender neutral forklift training in namiba party, neither really helps or cares about our day to day life.

In other UT forums, people (besides me) bring up the need for more passenger rail in the province. It can be fit into 2-3 categories; Commuter/RER and intercity.

Two place that have been discussed for commuter rail is London and Ottawa. Obviously, it would not be a 12 car train running at 15 minute 2WAD, but many of the ideas are enough for single level coaches, much like what GO started with. The problem with starting anything up is who should do it and where should the funds come from. Currently, GO is a provincially funded entity. Money may come from the various regions an counties it serves, but it is funded through the province. The regional commuting of London and Ottawa is no different than Toronto in that regard. Is there enough for a train? We-Don't-Know. What could be a good first step is just like GO in the GTA, have buses running. Do a 5 year pilot program to build demand. On those routes that have a high enough ridership, put in a train. They don't need to be bilevels, but if the province wanted to keep the rolling stock the same, it could be. The first GO single level coaches had seating for 94. The bilevels hold 360. It looks like (and someone can correct me on this) the original GO trains had 7 coaches including the cab car. for a total of 658. That is 2 bilevels. Imagine today seeing a train with 2 bilevels running in the GTA? Run 2 bilevel trains in Ottawa and London.

There is a lack of good intercity rail in the province. Even with what Via offers,there is a demand for more. The problem is, Via is largely ignored by the federal government.With the restoration of the Northlander in a few years, A conversation about the province expanding intercity rail where it can should be had. For example, have an express train early in the morning to actually bring commuting to London-Toronto Four hours was ridiculous. Not having it timed for someone to get to Union before 9am was equally ridiculous. It could be better suited to a Via style stop system. Putting it in, expanding it, and even adding more tracks where needed and where can fit is something the province has shown they can do with GO/Metrolinx.

If the Northlander is successful, my hope would be that Ontario Northland looks at their bus system and begins the process of looking at where they could expand passenger rail to. Obviously, they do not own the tracks elsewhere, yet.I say yet because I feel that HCR will likely fold within a few years due to the shutdown of Domtar in Espanola.

RouteNumber of busesOwnership
North Bay - Toronto4CN
North Bay -Timmins/Cochrane1ONR
Timmins - Cochrane2ONR
Sudbury - Toronto3CN/CP
Sudbury - Timmins - Hearst1None
Sudbury - North Bay - Ottawa1OVR/Abandonned
Sudbury - North Bay3OVR
SSM - Sudbury1HCR

This table illustrates a few things:
1) It shows the demand is between Toronto - North Bay -Sudbury as a triangle. With the highest number of buses it is where the demand really is.
2) It shows that outside of that, demand may not be there. I am expecting north of North Bay, the Northlander won't be full.
3) It shows that if you own the line, running a single train may be worth it.
It also begs the questions:
1) If the province owned the HCR, would running a single passenger train along it once a day, every day be realistic?
2) Should a train be run along the OVR daily between Sudbury and North Bay?
2a) If one were run,and were timed to meet the Northlander going North, could that draw the Sudbury riders going to Timmins off the bus?
3) Is the break even point 4 buses on a route owned by another company?
4) What would the business case be to return the old Ottawa Valley route be?
4a) How many freight customers would be needed?
4b) Does that exist, but not utilized?

Two things to think about:
1) This housing crisis we are in could be resolved easier if more places had more options for transportation. Northern ON has lots of land to build on. Without good inter city transportation options outside of the Corridor, you see the skyrocketing housing costs happen.
2) Without planned commuter service, the sprawl will just keep happening without any real checks and balances. It wasn't good for the GTA, it isn't good for London or Ottawa.

Preach my comrade! I think even Hamilton would be a candidate for a regional network. Having routes from the surrounding municipalities to central Hamilton.

I believe there is a ton of missed opportunity either due lack of vision at MX, VIA, and various levels of government and,or general disinterest for that type of service from the public. I think it is the former.

I've proposed the same thing at Port Hope that you have at London. A specialized S Ontario VIA rail service that would allow people to get to Union Station at a reasonable time to have a workday with departures coinciding with the end of the work day.

It is amazing the things that can be done when you are an elected dictator.
True story, no environment impact assessment, nobody cares if some houses need to be destroyed on the way and so on...

I'm super excited about Ontario Lane, GO expansion and other projects. But building a rail network that is only 40km/h faster compare to what we have now and calling it the biggest infrastructure project in Canadian history drives me bonkers, just can't stand it. Yes, it will be more frequent and separate tracks, but at the of the day it's all about how fast and you can get from point A to point B.

Government has to constantly educate people why this kind of project is crucial. The majority of the population don't get it and have no idea how it can possibly affect them in a good way, people prefer new highways....

On top of politics I also think Canadian Airlines making an impact and trying to make a bad influence, if we get real HSR (300+ km/h) they'll start loosing billions, nobody will fly between Toronto - Montreal- Quebec and these are the most popular routes. It happened in Italy, when high speed trains were introduced the entire national Airline (Alitalia) went bankrupt (one of the reasons, but a significant one).

Last edited:

Back