Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Indeed. And I think it's only in getting that unique building, and not a watered-down Bilbao, that we truly did get "a Gehry."

All that said, I never felt that the L Tower was as derivative as the ROM. I quite liked it, in fact, with the signal exception of what was underfoot.

The ROM is very far from unique, and I'm not talking about whether or not we got "a Libeskind"...Toronto got crystals a generation ago at the Zoo.

Unique is the word to describe this building for sure. I like it. especially the circular "window" on the bottom floors...
Has anyone seen the interior suite layout yet? I wonder how they look. and does anyone know if libeskind himself designed those suites?

Indeed. And I think it's only in getting that unique building, and not a watered-down Bilbao, that we truly did get "a Gehry."

All that said, I never felt that the L Tower was as derivative as the ROM. I quite liked it, in fact, with the signal exception of what was underfoot.

Urban Frog: please read the thread. The round window you like so much is gone. All of the suite layouts have been posted. I know it's a long thread to read, but that's why it is long: there is a lot of information in it.

Confirmation

Does anyone have a final confirmation about this change like a final vote document? All I saw up to date are some proposals and preliminary discussions regarding this project set-back.

It is more than a shame that instead of making at least a nice comercial small mall there the constructor decided to increase its profits and reduce the cost by building a park....

done deal ... 'L' tower no more

according to City's Executive Committee decision document of October 6, 2008 (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ex/decisions/2008-10-06-ex24-dd.pdf, see item EX24.4), City accepted the $3 millions from Castlepoint to cut off the boot's toe, in return of building more condo units and a public plaza ....... SHAME ON THEM :mad:

excerpts below:

EX24.4 - Sony Centre Redevelopment – Public Plaza Option

(September 22, 2008) Report from the Deputy City Manager and Chief Financial Officer, and the Chief Executive Officer – Sony Centre for the Performing Arts

Committee Recommendations
The Executive Committee recommends that:

• Council authorize the Deputy City Manager and Chief Financial Officer and the Chief Executive Officer of the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts to implement amendments to the Umbrella Agreement based on the principles outlined in Appendix ‘B’ that will result in the creation of a public plaza in the strata land originally intended either for the City Centre cultural project or for a commercial development, and further, that Appendix ‘B’ be amended such that the plaza design be determined on a mutual basis by Castlepoint, the Sony Centre and The Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning.

• Part 5 contained in Appendix B, be further amended to read as follows: “New PATH entrance on the face of the tower to provide access from the plaza, if and when the path is approved.”

• The appropriate City officials be authorized and directed to take the necessary action to give effect thereto.

Financial Impact
The public plaza development option would result in a financial outcome that is similar to the one that would have been realized under the commercial component option, which is the fallback option established in the existing Umbrella Agreement. The implementation of the public plaza option will result in a minimum payment of $3 million from Castlepoint to the City for additional residential density. Furthermore, under this option Castlepoint will provide
an additional payment of $1 million to the City towards the costs of constructing the public plaza. This will result in a total payment of $4 million.

It is currently estimated that the public plaza will have a construction cost of approximately $1 million.

Under the existing commercial component option, Castlepoint is required to make a payment of $3.5 million to the City for the long-term lease of the commercial component.

The Deputy City Manager and Chief Financial Officer has reviewed this report and agrees with the financial impact information.

Castlepoint is totally getting a DEAL out of this paying $3 million for extra condo density + $1 million to build the plaza, seeing that under the existing agreement they were "required to make a payment of $3.5 million to the City for the long term lease of the commerical component" anyways previously, Castlepoint is buying it off fees simple for only $500,00 more !! which is only like the price for one condo unit, what is City Council thinking ??

MODs, thank you for updating this thread to "The l Tower"

If I'm reading this right, Castlepoint will pay $4 million to city council to NOT build the toe?

How much would it have cost to actually build it?

Could they not have kept the original design and scaled back the commercial component and maybe convert maybe 2 top floors to condos?

yup ... $3 million to get increased residential density (for more condo units), and $1 million to build the public plaza, total $4 million

My feeling is that Castlepoint would have won more money from renting the commercial plaza. However they choose to scrap one of the most beautiful projects in Toronto and transform this building in a common one at least. And I think that has not much to do with money but with time. So much time was wasted on planning this building that is a shame. With less of one year remaining to build the podium (see the reopening grand plans of Sony Center) it is obvious this was choosen as a way out from strict deadlines in the Umbrella Plan B.

All I can say is that I hope the persons involved in proposing and approving this change will think how they missed the opportunity to build a more beautiful Toronto.. And I hope this happens each time they come to a Sony Center representation with their grandchildren. The city was starving for a new landmark but the result is: missed chance, see you at the next game; maybe in 100 years...

Such a major letdown. After reading back numerous pages through this thread, would it be correct to say that the city and the Sony Centre had it in for this project from the get go?

the saddest and blackest decision ever for Toronto.....:(
may the karma for all those involved come back and bite them in the ass...:mad:

I'd have traded both 1 Bloor and Trump for this project. What a stupid decision. There must be unreported animosities and behind the scenes drama fuelling this illogical decision. Perhaps the Libeskind name didn't do any favours here after the ROM debacle/triumph.

Back