Toronto Park Lawn GO Station | 12.83m | 2s | First Capital | Hatch

I would argue that GO lines should not be express trains to subsidize suburbia while blowing past the denser, lower income city. Regardless, electrification and the faster operations it will bring will mean your commute will be faster, not slower, even with new stations.

You mean "blowing past the denser, gentrified, higher priced housing zones of the inner city".

I can relate to the sentiment but not a good example to make your argument. South Etobicoke is not a disadvantaged part of the city.

On pure numbers of riders, Park Lawn has come to outweigh Mimico, and as the Christie Lands are developed this will tip further - but given the latest secondary plan for the area around Mimico station, Mimico may be the tortoise and Park Lawn is the hare. Let the developer figure out their financing problems, and it will be six of one and half dozen of the other.

We could debate adjusting GO train station locations along the area - possibly Dixie and Kipling would be a better combination than Long Branch alone - but with LB getting an overhaul, I think it's a hypothetical.

- Paul

This station is so close to Mimico. Definitely not looking forward to my trips to and from Toronto taking longer. I get that it looks appealing to put a station here because of all the high density in the area. If that's the case, then they should seriously consider closing down Mimico once this station opens.
You aren’t taking into account that all GO trains will be faster when electrified, both because of the electric locomotives and the shorter consists, your trip won’t be longer

You mean "blowing past the denser, gentrified, higher priced housing zones of the inner city".
In no world is a $500k 1 bed 650sqft condo in HBS "higher priced" or more "gentrified" than a $2 million dollar SFH sitting on a quarter acre in Oakville. GO infill Stations are overwhelmingly going to be better serving poorer sections of the 'inner GTA' (Barrie/Kitchener Line infill especially). As easy as it is to point at a shiny new tower and cry luxury, the reality is that Parklawn GO will make accessing GO much easier for the large low income Mimico On The Lake community that is close to Mimico GO as the crow flies but functionally awkward to reach via transit. And yes the Christie lands development will be far from public housing, but will still be drastically more affordable than the homes to be found in Oakville and Mississauga.

You aren’t taking into account that all GO trains will be faster when electrified, both because of the electric locomotives and the shorter consists, your trip won’t be longer
Regardless, GO/Metrolinx has stated that each station will be serviced in an even/odd pattern, with every other train skipping one station and servicing the other. Meaning there will be 0 difference in Mr.Bojangles trip ride.

We could debate adjusting GO train station locations along the area - possibly Dixie and Kipling would be a better combination than Long Branch alone - but with LB getting an overhaul, I think it's a hypothetical.
If we were building the network from scratch I would agree, Long Branch is quite an awkward spot thanks to the Browns Line overpass and golf course taking up a quarter of the stations catchment area. However as you mentioned the rebuild is underway and I have a strong suspicion that Metrolinx is protecting for a major tower dev on the station and legion that sits directly south of it, and hopefully the Long Branch Loop as well. That and its relation to the Canpa Sub which could allow for future interlining onto Milton/Midtown lines means it will likely feel a lot less provincial by the time RER is complete.

In no world is a $500k 1 bed 650sqft condo in HBS "higher priced" or more "gentrified" than a $2 million dollar SFH sitting on a quarter acre in Oakville. GO infill Stations are overwhelmingly going to be better serving poorer sections of the 'inner GTA' (Barrie/Kitchener Line infill especially). As easy as it is to point at a shiny new tower and cry luxury, the reality is that Parklawn GO will make accessing GO much easier for the large low income Mimico On The Lake community that is close to Mimico GO as the crow flies but functionally awkward to reach via transit. And yes the Christie lands development will be far from public housing, but will still be drastically more affordable than the homes to be found in Oakville and Mississauga.

The debatable freebie that places such as Oakville enjoys is the right to occupy an expressway and drive into the downtown.

I would argue that more central areas are seeing equal attention to transit, perhaps not as GO - but certainly if Line 2 is ever extended westwards, and perhaps LRT on the Queensway, then south Etobicoke is certainly on the proverbial grid.

I have no problem with extending excellent fast GO service to the 905 suburbs - so long as they cease and desist creating sprawl, and with some form of toll applied to QEW Gardiner and 401 to nudge people towards transit in preference to driving.

- Paul

Regardless, GO/Metrolinx has stated that each station will be serviced in an even/odd pattern, with every other train skipping one station and servicing the other. Meaning there will be 0 difference in Mr.Bojangles trip ride.
That is definitely not happening, even if they previously said that its not planned anymore

Wait and see what happens when they electrify. They're going to use it as an excuse to add more stops to the lines. Essentially neutralizing all the speed gains made by electrification.

Last edited:
I missed that, where was this announced?

Wait and see what happens when we electrify. They're going fo use it as an excuse to add more stops to the lines. Essentially neutralizing all the speed gains made by electrification.
Won't LSW trains be running express from Mississauga?

Until we see what OnXpress is proposing (later in 2024?) we only have the reference concept from the full GO Expansion business case but it certainly has express trains from Clarkson. Others have pointed out that having expresses stop at Port Credit to connect with Line 10, would seem appropriate.

1707966131316.png

Until we see what OnXpress is proposing (later in 2024?) we only have the reference concept from the full GO Expansion business case but it certainly has express trains from Clarkson. Others have pointed out that having expresses stop at Port Credit to connect with Line 10, would seem appropriate.

View attachment 540749
Agree that we should all collectively wait to see what’s officially announced. This chart does not reflect what is being planned at all anymore.

That and its relation to the Canpa Sub which could allow for future interlining onto Milton/Midtown lines means it will likely feel a lot less provincial by the time RER is complete.
I don’t think you should hold your breath for that either.

Back