Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

I saw that the signature Rogers Stirk Harbour (or should I say Richard Rogers) giant vents on the southwest corner have now been painted dark grey. Is that just the first finish to be eventually covered in bright primary colours or has the Toronto diktat for 50 shades of grey been imposed here?

By all account this is an embarrassingly poorly managed project!
Is it? Why so?
I've only been watching it here and there, but seems true to renders, well built, not far off the timeline, and had to accomplish all that through lockdowns.

Is it? Why so?
I've only been watching it here and there, but seems true to renders, well built, not far off the timeline, and had to accomplish all that through lockdowns.
...there is a degree of dysfunctionality that has been well documented with this project from conception to now. Including "take the money and run" tendered builders and what not, that has caused significant delays and over runs in getting to where we are today, to my understanding. So for something that seems so unassuming in getting together, they keep delaying the opening of it for "reasons".

Source:

Is it? Why so?
Yes, there have been problems with the contractors and covid and there were 'value engineering disagreements' with the architects but by all accounts the City's project management has been FAR too 'relaxed' (or non-existent). For a fairly small building it REALLY has taken a VERY long time! I bet if this were being built by a 'real' developer we would have seen "The Farmers" in it months ago. Look back in this thread for examples of 'updated' schedules!.

While I agree that private developers may have done this faster, I think it would of end up being more VE'd than it already has...as they would of been into this to make money.

...but I hold that as no excuse for The City fudging this project. That is, they should of known better or have given it to someone who does.

Past and present
Snapseed.jpeg

...so is that official? Or they just haven't gotten around to do that yet? I mean, they have lots of time to do so now if it's the latter.

Here is an update from City website:

January 2024​

Work completed to date includes:
  • Building nearing 92 per cent completion
  • Mechanical and electrical systems startup is ongoing
  • Interior glazing is nearing completion
  • Above grade interior finishes and painting ongoing
  • Millwork installation at offices and Courtrooms is ongoing
  • Below grade parking garage paving is complete
  • Below grade parking garage interior painting is nearing completion
Next steps:
  • Mechanical and electrical systems commissioning
  • Complete millwork installations
  • Complete interior glazing
  • Complete interior finishes and painting
  • Complete exterior landscaping
  • Geothermal heating and cooling system commissioning
See: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...awrence-market-redevelopment/progress-update/

Looks terribly like the final coat of paint to me - but we shall see! Time to fire-up your emails!
Nothing like ninja'ing in a can of red Tremclad to fix that as well...

...although, that might be too conspicuous for civilian action here. >.<

Back