News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.4K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.4K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

My best guess is that they're intended first and foremost for cannibalization.

Even compared to the SRT fleet Detroit is small. It's exactly the kind of operation that can patch things together on an ad-hoc basis for a very long time.
yes, even just acquiring the TTCs pile of leftover spare parts would still be useful to them, I suspect

More details about the interest from Detroit

“Without this opportunity, we would be looking to basically find a custom manufacturer of these vehicles, for just 12 vehicles, which would obviously have an upward force on the cost itself. A lot of the larger rail agencies are ordering 100, 400, 500 vehicles at a time, which is obviously more attractive to a manufacturer.”

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the DTC has approved spending up to US$1 million plus shipping costs for various components. He said that could mean sending up to five full trainsets along with parts used for signalling systems, specialized assembly pieces and parts needed to keep trains running. Green also called the potential arrangement a win-win

Also of note:

Green noted two trainsets are being kept with the TTC and one will be going to the Halton County Railway Museum in Milton.

ofc those bastards are always more than happy to save anything & everything except a Hawker subway car, and when confronted about the double standard, the standard excuse is that it's oh-so-difficult that railfans should do it themselves, despite every single city in the world including the GTA literally swarming with historical vehicles, because those vehicles were somehow very easy to save :rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:
Ofc those clowns are always more than happy to save anything & everything except a Hawker subway car, and when questioned about the latter, the standard excuse is that it's oh-so-difficult that railfans should do it themselves, :rolleyes:
How many times does someone have to point this out to you, on how many different forums, before it sinks in?

The Hawkers were discarded 10 years ago by a completely different set of people running the TTC! It's done, it's over! Unless you have a time machine that you are willing to offer the TTC so that they can go back and save a Hawker, there is nothing that can be done! If you care so much about trying to save a Hawker, 5707 still exists, start rallying up people and funds for its preservation. Perhaps then you'd understand why vehicle preservation is such a difficult business, and why you snapping your fingers "Save this for me" at a heritage society doesn't constitute an argument or a call to action. Talk is cheap, put some effort and money behind what you think is important, or stand back and watch the consequences.
including the GTA literally swarming with historical vehicles which were somehow very easy to save :rolleyes:
Oh really? Where are all these so called historical vehicles in the GTA???? Where's the historical Mississauga fleet? York Region? Durham? Brampton? Are they invisible???

Apart from the streetcars and the 2 GM buses at the TTC, every other heritage vehicle in the GTA has been saved by a private individual, or a group of private individuals. They do well with the resources they have, but there's not a lot of the things running around. It is pretty offensive misinformation to suggest the GTA as a region has any appreciable quantities of historical vehicles. Saving an SRT car is just one small step towards trying to right that ill going forward.

Last edited:
Ofc those clowns are always more than happy to save anything & everything except a Hawker subway car, and when questioned about the latter, the standard excuse is that it's oh-so-difficult that railfans should do it themselves, despite every single city in the world including the GTA literally swarming with historical vehicles which were somehow very easy to save :rolleyes:

The railfan and transit community habitually expects people to do things for them when they should be doing it themselves. Heck, when the railways or museums do run excursions or special trains, railfans don't even buy tickets or participate in whatever charity drive is being sponsored. They just go stand at a level crossing and take pictures. The operative word in "take pictures" is "take" and not "give".

I would rather see TTC spending its time improving service than doing heritage stuff. And I'm both a heritage guy and a railway museum volunteer. If Halton is getting a trainset, I'm content.

- Paul

If you care so much about trying to save a Hawker, 5707 still exists, start rallying up people and funds for its preservation.
I've actually written a persuasive email to Chow regarding the subject (5707 and the H4s), in light of the political push to save the SRT, but never heard back yet and probably never will. Might as well try reaching out to someone like Green too (since he just confirmed SRT preservation is happening). It'd probably go nowhere, but wouldn't hurt to try. At least 5707 seems to be in good hands for now, and I feel like any change of its ownership might run the risk of losing it altogether.
Oh really? Where are all these so called historical vehicles in the GTA???? Where's the historical Mississauga fleet? York Region? Durham? Brampton? Are they invisible???
GO, VIA & HSR says hello. As for the others, they all have the exact same bus series (Orions, Novas, Flyers, etc) that the TTC and any other North American transit agency does, so...

As far as rail vehicles go, be it trams (especially trams, they always save multiple copies of every single type of tram ever built), light metros, subways, or even mainline rail, I can't think of any class of vehicle besides the Hawkers that were never saved, or never will be, and which are unique enough compared to any existing/preserved rail vehicles. I'm all ears to be proven wrong about that though.

As for where all those historical vehicles are, Halton has countless of them with more to come, and it's not even the only museum in the GTA (see Uxbridge for example).
start rallying up people and funds for its preservation. Perhaps then you'd understand why vehicle preservation is such a difficult business, and why you snapping your fingers "Save this for me" at a heritage society doesn't constitute an argument or a call to action.
If it's such a difficult business, they're wasting their time saving an SRT car then. Or maybe you should save an SRT car yourself, since you expect me to do the same with a Hawker. And how is "snapping your fingers at a heritage society" not "rallying people for its preservation", or a call to action?

Unless you have a time machine that you are willing to offer the TTC so that they can go back and save a Hawker, there is nothing that can be done!
Saving an SRT car is just one small step towards trying to right that ill going forward.
FTFY:
Unless you have a time machine that you are willing to offer the TTC so that they can go back and save a Hawker [or they save one of the still-existing Hawkers], there is nothing that can be done to right that ill going forward.
If there's no intent to save a Hawker going forward, the ONLY way to right that ill going forward is to never save anything else ever again (and get rid of everything they've already saved while they're at it).

Last edited:
More details about the interest from Detroit

Also of note:
... and Vancouver's 150 MKI's will become available in the upcoming years as the MKV's are delivered (first MKV trainset arrived last week) between now and 2028.

Last edited:
Reactions: NIV
I just saw this from the Scarborough Subway IG account's story, posted Jan 12:
"Diggy Scardust has tunnelled 823 m or 11.9% of journey".

I don't know if this is new info.

(Edit to correct Stardust to Scardust. I blame autocorrect!)
1000012919.jpg

Last edited:
It's certainly more information than has been available up to now.

Using Sheppard as the starting point, that puts the TBM just north of the 401.

Good to see them being forthcoming with an update.

- Paul

PS - Tunnelling began Jan 18/2023. 800m in 350 days is not stellar progress, but it's a start.

- Paul

PS - Tunnelling began Jan 18/2023. 800m in 350 days is not stellar progress, but it's a start.
Yeah, they suggest 10-15 m per day, so less than 25% of that. This is the one that was stopped for a while, right?

Great to see the progress!

- Paul

The progress has been slow, but that's always the case for the beginning of a drive. (The tail-end, too, when that time comes.)

Modern earth pressure balance TBMs average ~15m per day over the life of their drives. The first bit of it is slow as they break-in the machine (although, hopefully not break it altogether), while the main middle part of the drive is done with everything running at full blast (and with daily progress averaging well above that 15m/day number). When they get to the end of the drive, they slow down their progress for a number of different reasons (reduction of cover depth, preparation of the exit shaft, etc.).

Considering how slow the first ~12% of the drive has been, it's going to be very difficult for them to get their average speed up high enough to hit that 15m/day average over the length of the drive, but I also wouldn't be surprised to hear about them getting very good progress once they do have the machine running at its best.

Dan

Back