Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Without refrigeration there won’t be any skating there. That close to the lake, a rink would probably probably freeze thoroughly not more than a handful of weeks a year.

Well, then we're back to the weather thing.

My guess is that they don’t want ice skates anywhere near the hand picked and laid red (stone?) perimeter wall.
it was meant to be a skating rink in winter. the wikipedia page for the park still says this. dont think it had to do with the perimeter wall, but budget

There was no indication that it was to be a skating rink even in the earliest documents. The only thing it had was that it was to be partially, not fully drained in winter.

AoD

The design called for water to remain year round and for the entire bottom to be filled with the stones. I think the latter has been discussed here already.

One of the earlier materials suggested the natural ice could be used for skating (of course this is aspirational as even natural ice requires a lot of maintenance for skating).

Year round water with stone bottom vs an empty pond with concrete floor for half the year is a pretty big difference! Considering the incredible level of detail that goes into designing this thing, it's like building a palace but the front door is from home depot and the front lawn is dirt.

A huge consideration for the designers is how the park will be used. How will people use the empty concrete pond? graffiti, skateboarding. a truly interesting experiment

the attached are from Waterfront TO.

a.png
b.png

what i do know is that you conveniently ignored the bit about the pond having water in it :)
  • why is this pond not a lake
  • the pond is 15m deep
  • wikipedia says it's supposed to be for skating
  • this pdf says skating
  • it should have 30cm of water in it
If there is 30cm of water, it still would not be a skating rink.
So if the new goal post is 30cm of water rather than skating, have you checked the current depth?

dude, this isn't a competition. we can all be friendly and nice here and have good discussions. no one here knows all the answers and that's okay. we don't work for the city, we're just normal people.

most importantly, we are taxpayers (at least I am) to the city of toronto, province of ontario, and to canada. and so these are legit questions. we were promised one thing and got another. if you don't know the answer that's fine. no need to get aggressive. there are way more important things in life to get worked up over

if this isn't a safe place, I can happily ask the elected officials these questions and be done with this message board

You do know that "winter ice skating" is a response from the public and not a statement on what will be included in the park, right?
"Natural winter ice" was listed as an element of the design approach though:
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 17.16.38.png

It seems pretty likely that Cormier had originally hoped to include ice as a winter element, but whether due to logistics of refrigeration or value engineering it was eliminated from the design. So be it.

Reactions: DSC
dude, this isn't a competition. we can all be friendly and nice here and have good discussions. no one here knows all the answers and that's okay. we don't work for the city, we're just normal people.

most importantly, we are taxpayers (at least I am) to the city of toronto, province of ontario, and to canada. and so these are legit questions. we were promised one thing and got another. if you don't know the answer that's fine. no need to get aggressive. there are way more important things in life to get worked up over

if this isn't a safe place, I can happily ask the elected officials these questions and be done with this message board
...it is the prime directive for this poster to be right all the time, regardless whether they are on the wrong side of history or not. So I am not sure there's any point in continuing on with this debate if the opponent has no intention of budging from their position, ad tedium.

That said, I do feel the public where cheated out of a skating rink out of this...and a beloved pond installation left to the winter and urban elements while sitting idle for 6 months plus will unlikely be good for it. So there does seems to be some short-sightedness and even a degree of cheapening out when it came to the overall planning to keep this park vital year round, IMO.

Back