News   May 09, 2024
 423     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 434     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 722     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

So? They took the land from other peoples through conquest and genocide. The Mississauga peoples who we took the land from, took the land from the Iroquois peoples who took the land from the Huron-Wendat peoples.

We know this because it happened while Europeans were around to write about it so this land has been conquered and lost countless times in the 10000+ years since the ancestors of Amerindians first crossed into the Americas.

Ultimately you are trying to assign ownership of this land to the last people to have conquered the land before Europeans conquered it.
I’m assuming this bothers you soo much because you buy into the narrative that white people have no historical responsibility to acknowledge that white people continue to benefit at the expense of indigenous peoples.

What I was surprised to see in the Sheppard/McCowan station plans was... provision for a Eglinton East LRT station on Sheppard, not a future line 4 station box!

Line 4 connections are shown on the plans at Level B2 - with a knockout panel to the "Canada Tire site"

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.32.17.png

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.35.18.png
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.35.31.png

I’m assuming this bothers you soo much because you buy into the narrative that white people have no historical responsibility to acknowledge that white people continue to benefit at the expense of indigenous peoples.
Nutty takes to the land acknowledgement thread.

So, anyone get any insights from talking with the consultants at the two recent consultation meetings?

My only wish is that this project remains heavy-rail technology, grade-separated at all costs. Even if that means a shorter extension. Converting this line into a crosstown-style slow train would be insanity. But this is metrolinx after all.
I thought the operating speed of the Eglinton LRT was 80km/h in the tunnel as compared to 75km/h for the subway.

I thought the operating speed of the Eglinton LRT was 80km/h in the tunnel as compared to 75km/h for the subway.
60 km/h at street level and 80 km/h underground, the top safe allowable speeds for the route... Practically speaking I doubt they would be going 80 km/h underground. The main focus should be opening this line asap. We are almost in 2024 with no announcement of an opening date any time soon.

Source - https://www.metrolinx.com/en/news/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-hits-top-speed-as-testing-continues

60 km/h at street level and 80 km/h underground, the top safe allowable speeds for the route... Practically speaking I doubt they would be going 80 km/h underground. The main focus should be opening this line asap. We are almost in 2024 with no announcement of an opening date any time soon.

Source - https://www.metrolinx.com/en/news/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-hits-top-speed-as-testing-continues
80 km/h IF there were platform screen doors. Without such doors, they'll have to crawl into the underground stations. Allegedly.

Line 2 trains used to be able to reach over 90 km/h eastbound towards Old Mill Station as trains head downhill till they enforced the speed.

I don't understand what speed and dwell time has to do with floor height and vehicle weight. A subway is heavier, and a maglev is lighter. So we need to make the Eglinton vehicles heavier so they what? VIA Rail has heavy rail with long dwell, and the much lighter REM has a shorter dwell, so make Eglinton vehicles heavier so they dwell differently how?

The vehicle being LRT makes no difference. Some could argue a rocket sled is a light rail vehicle.

The question is, how are they going to operate these vehicles and maintain the infrastructure and vehicles so they remain able to perform to specification. That is the only thing that will actually decide if it is fast or slow or has a short or long dwell time.

My only wish is that this project remains heavy-rail technology, grade-separated at all costs. Even if that means a shorter extension. Converting this line into a crosstown-style slow train would be insanity. But this is metrolinx after all.
I am utterly baffled as to how this idea came to you in the first place. The Sheppard line is already built to subway (which is not particularly heavy rail) technology. Do you honestly think there is any desire or push to redesign the entire line that exists and sever it from the extant TTC network?
80 km/h IF there were platform screen doors. Without such doors, they'll have to crawl into the underground stations. Allegedly.
Unless Metrolinx has even more stringent operating rules than the TTC, this sounds like utter bunk. There are segments of the current TTC subway where trains reach speeds like this and blast into the station at speed despite the lack of platform doors. And then there is, of course, the GO train.

I see no compelling argument for why the trains wouldn't be allowed to operate at full speed.

Line 2 trains used to be able to reach over 90 km/h eastbound towards Old Mill Station as trains head downhill till they enforced the speed.
If this actually occurred, this had to have been a fault in the vehicle's speed limiter system. As designed, the traction motors cut out at 80 km/h, and the penalty brake kicks in at 88 km/h.

Last edited:

Back