Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Where's all the traffic going to go with the Gardiner gone? I feel this will create an even bigger nightmare for those commuting back and forth or with a Jays/Leafs/Raptors home game scheduled even...and for us at pedestrian levels who have to deal with angry snarled traffic pushing onto our right of ways. Unless they're planning to make the Waterfront an entirely car free zone, I can't see removing it will make things better...

...I prefer they fix this eyesore instead (as they have been doing to a degree), making aspects of it underneath more pedestrian friendly like they did with The Bentway. I get this is a barrier to reviving our waterfront...but I'd rather have something to keep the vehicle demons more safely out sight and mind, then having it so they're eating our faces and asses every time we step off the curb, so to speak. /sigh

Last edited:
Where's all the traffic going to go with the Gardiner gone? I feel this will create an even bigger nightmare for those commuting back and forth or with a Jays/Leafs/Raptors home game scheduled even...and for us at pedestrian levels who have to deal with angry snarled traffic pushing onto our right of ways. Unless they're planning to make the Waterfront an entirely car free zone, I can't see removing it will make things better...

...I prefer they fix this eyesore instead (as they have been doing to a degree), making aspects of it underneath more pedestrian friendly like they did with The Bentway. I get this is a barrier to reviving our waterfront...but I'd rather have something to keep the vehicle demons more safely out sight and mind, then having it so they're eating our faces and asses every time we step off the curb, so to speak. /sigh
The best option was to convince the provincial and federal levels to help invest in a underground option. Now that's not possible so let's integrate the Gardiner into the city, exactly as you mentioned. The Gardiner is ugly and an eyesore, but the reality is we need it. Let's integrate it into our waterfront, and into the Toronto streetscape.

The best option was to convince the provincial and federal levels to help invest in a underground option. Now that's not possible so let's integrate the Gardiner into the city, exactly as you mentioned. The Gardiner is ugly and an eyesore, but the reality is we need it. Let's integrate it into our waterfront, and into the Toronto streetscape.
Can you elaborate on why it is not possible to invest in an underground option. Cut and cover makes a lot of sense.

Can you elaborate on why it is not possible to invest in an underground option. Cut and cover makes a lot of sense.
It would have made alot of sense and it is possible physically. Yet because we prefer too look 5 years into the future, city Hall decided to invest in repairing it, and has already awarded contracts. It is at a point where we can no longer do a u-turn and change course. This is something the boulevard advocates don't understand either.

Those are some nicely sized trees for fresh plantings, looks like a fuller canopy already. Hopefully that also gives them a better chance than the spindly twigs we often get; presumably they're a bit hardier, although at the same time I think larger trees can be more susceptible to transplant shock IIRC.

The bolded is correct.

In respect of tree sizes here, you will see a large range.

The decision was made to try to create a space more like a natural forest, a bit quicker.

So, a mix of sizes are being used, from 'caliper' which you would think of the typical street tree planting (8-12ft tall) to seedlings, to potted stock with a few larger specimens in the mix as well.

The plantings are also being phased over a few years to create that ongoing size variation, but also to allow some canopy to establish before certain under-storey species go in.

Some of the planting plan is excellent, some a bit more problematic; but it doesn't lack for budget.

There is a full-time team onsite doing quality control on the plants that arrive on scene.

So you have trees than range from $3 per plant to well over $300 per plant. Most will be potted stock I imagine, and will be ~$20 per plant. (* note that I don't know the final mix, as ordered, and I have not seen the invoices, just an informed guess)

The best option was to convince the provincial and federal levels to help invest in a underground option.
...the problem with that is likely they don't want a another *Boston Dig nightmare when it comes to cost overruns and such. So they are to a degree rightfully afraid of something like that especially where money could be allocated to better uses such as housing and the environment here. And assuming they're taking that position in good faith and with integrity.

*Source:

Amazing photos, I concur. The part that's shocked me the most is next to the old extension of the Don Yard, where TTR used to store equipment. All the trees through there surrounding the junk yards. I knew it was being done but always a shock to see it done.
I think some of that old yard is to be added to the regular GO yard and some of the area is the ice & debris area for the Don.

Oct 28
The new eastbound bridge over the Mouth of the Don is done and waiting paving of it as well part of the existing road to the west of it. Not ready for traffic until the Don Roadway intersection is built as well a section to shift traffic back to the current configuration as the new road will not ready until Q2 2024.

Not sure if that is a walkway or an area to support the water line until the westbound lane is built. No room for a sidewalk west of the bridge at this time.

Top has been place on top of the retaining support for the Don Roadway and the extension for the mouth of the Don

More up on my site.
53302019324_9e8cc0c679_b.jpg

53302125665_54f78306cb_b.jpg

53301645881_823a451988_b.jpg

53302019224_cd2712b312_b.jpg

53300787072_3c4cd0afaa_b.jpg

53302126225_0fd8818447_b.jpg

53301646036_ec7311f346_b.jpg

The bolded is correct.

In respect of tree sizes here, you will see a large range.

The decision was made to try to create a space more like a natural forest, a bit quicker.

So, a mix of sizes are being used, from 'caliper' which you would think of the typical street tree planting (8-12ft tall) to seedlings, to potted stock with a few larger specimens in the mix as well.

The plantings are also being phased over a few years to create that ongoing size variation, but also to allow some canopy to establish before certain under-storey species go in.

Some of the planting plan is excellent, some a bit more problematic; but it doesn't lack for budget.

There is a full-time team onsite doing quality control on the plants that arrive on scene.

So you have trees than range from $3 per plant to well over $300 per plant. Most will be potted stock I imagine, and will be ~$20 per plant. (* note that I don't know the final mix, as ordered, and I have not seen the invoices, just an informed guess)
Thanks for the insight! It's nice to hear about all the measures taken to create robust plantings, especially interesting re. the work done to create a more varied environment.

Anyone know when more of the Logan Ave ramps will be knocked down? I’d like to think they could do this independent of the realignment project.
There are no ramps east of Don Roadway/ramp to DVP. There are still pillars supporting closed infrastructure. I believe those will be removed when the realignment happens on a couple of years.

Back