Toronto 214-230 Sherbourne | 154.9m | 47s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

The city has made Kingsett an offer for the site. It looks like it's going to get turned into another highrise slum.

IF the site has been purchased; I would hope the City would pilot development here based on a mixed-income 'Vienna' model.

@HousingNowTO must be flagged on this.

IF the site has been purchased; I would hope the City would pilot development here based on a mixed-income 'Vienna' model.

@HousingNowTO must be flagged on this.
I hope that too but what I got from Chris Moise was that he hopes it will allow them "to do something about the Dan Harrison complex". My assumption is that means building a more or less one for one replacement - albeit with greater capacity - before then redevloping the other one.

Like I said, the city of Toronto has made Kinsgsett an offer to buy the this location from them. See my other post for why I think that implies a highrise slum might be the outcome.
This is terrible news, unbelievable that the city and developer are letting a small vocal group bully them into this ridiculous position. There are way more people that are pro development in that area than not.
Also didn’t the city get out bid by Kingsett the first time round it went up for sale …. So the city is willing to pay more for it now than they did back then??? …another example of great planning and foresight, no wonder the city is in a financial mess!

This is terrible news, unbelievable that the city and developer are letting a small vocal group bully them into this ridiculous position. There are way more people that are pro development in that area than not.
Also didn’t the city get out bid by Kingsett the first time round it went up for sale …. So the city is willing to pay more for it now than they did back then??? …another example of great planning and foresight, no wonder the city is in a financial mess!
I don’t know how much the offer is or if they’ve accepted it. It’s possible they’d be prepared to sell at a loss given current market conditions too. Either way, agreed it’s really bad to give into a small number of activists on something like this.

I don't know, and perhaps the poster who broke this news would know better, but I don't think the City bought this site w/the intention of building something significantly smaller.

So I don't think this will appease any loud anti-development constituency.

There has been a strong push for some time to fix the Dan Harrison 'issue'; which is not that it is public housing. It's that it is a site with a serious safety issue; some of it in relation to permanent residents , some of it in relation to on-site hostel/shelter facilities and those across the street and the associated drug use etc etc.

I'm pro development and pro public housing, but I do understand that Dan Harrison is not working for the current residents of the complex or for the area writ large.

Redeveloping it, however, requires building something new to relocate the current residents.

This site has long been on the radar, and the City bid on it prior to Kingsett winning.

Here we come to the issue, we don't know what has been offered, with what intent.

I expect, the City could have out bid Kingsett initially and paid a lot less than they are now offering.........but we shall see.

Last edited:
I mean

Public housing conditions in Toronto vary widely, but very few could be compared at a neighbourhood level to either a U.S. inner-city area (troubled one); or to a developing world slum.

The word does conjure very extreme imagery.

Regardless, the use of term is one that can be understood as inflammatory and derogatory to those who live in such conditions.

I don't know that it was meant that way in this case; and do understand the fears of those familiar with Dan Harrison which has had an unhappy history for at least the last two decades.

Still, best to avoid inflammatory terminology when trying to engage in constructive discussion.

For reference, the definition:

1698538143715.png

Squalid is a very strong word.

I have never been to a developing world slum; but I have been to inner-City Detroit (just passing through) when it was at its worst a couple of decades back. I can assure you that nothing in Toronto compares.

The city has made Kingsett an offer for the site.
...any documentation or LINKS to back that up, @lewiswood ..?

The City did BID on the site in APRIL 2022 -- and was outbid.

Spending $50+ MILLION of limited City-funds on this site in 2023 would be a huge waste - when they could be acquiring actual apartment buildings and units with those dollars via MURA program, rather than buying an empty-lot for future development that is encumbered with a "Heritage Building"...

...any documentation or LINKS to back that up, @lewiswood ..?

The City did BID on the site in APRIL 2022 -- and was outbid.

Spending $50+ MILLION of limited City-funds on this site in 2023 would be a huge waste - when they could be acquiring actual apartment buildings and units with those dollars via MURA program, rather than buying an empty-lot for future development that is encumbered with a "Heritage Building"...

Woot; glad to see you again!

Woot; glad to see you again!
It has been a crazy-busy couple of weeks on the Affordable Housing data stuff... once OTTAWA called...

Parliamentary Finance Committee - Affordable Housing - HousingNowTO - (Open Data) - 20231016​

It has been a crazy-busy couple of weeks on the Affordable Housing data stuff... once OTTAWA called...

Parliamentary Finance Committee - Affordable Housing - HousingNowTO - (Open Data) - 20231016​

Totally appreciate your genuinely important work in Ottawa; my thanks for that!

Now....in your absence......I may have tagged you in a few things........LOL

I mean

3171 Eglinton seems cursed, unfortunately. Same building had an external wall collapse back in 2015: https://laingchronicles.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/housing-units-wall-collapses-3171-eglinton-ave-e/

Back