News   May 10, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
That PDF clearly indicated that the optimum ridership for the Eglinton route would only half the ridership required for a subway in 2031.

Those numbers are for the Transfer City plan, though, not what Metrolinx might be considering. An Eglinton subway, an Eglinton RT extension, even a fully grade separated streetcar, would all see ridership beyond what Transfer City says it would. Of course, that 52.8M riders figure will be bandied about as if it's representative of existing demand and would be applicable no matter what is built along Eglinton, no matter where stations are located and how fast vehicles go, etc. The same thing happened with Sheppard - people use that 45,000 daily riders mark as what ridership for an extended line would be, too, so you get journalists and politicians and city officials and internet transit geeks saying we can't extend the subway because ridership is only 45,000 a day (because with subways, everything has to be at maximum capacity, whereas with LRT, even 10% full is good enough).

An important thing to note is that much of these ridership figures consist of rides that do not currently exist. The Eglinton corridor can only reach any of these forecasts by seeing new residents move into redeveloped areas, new jobs, new stores, by luring people out of cars and off the highways. Of course, since they don't represent "real" existing demand, these rides don't need to be along Eglinton and can be created or moved elsewhere - condos can get built anywhere, crosstown travel can be done on other routes. Yet, it's obvious that the city thinks the Eglinton corridor is important for redevelopment and generating "crosstown travel," and thinks it's certainly worth spending billions on, which makes their rebuffs of Metrolinx' or others' suggestions to consider other options so perplexing.

Eglinton's potential ridership could be cannibalized by other projects, the projected new jobs and residents may never materialize, fewer people than expected may switch from other routes, etc....it's definitely a case of not needing a subway unless they build a subway. But if Eglinton is so important, why not just build a subway and dramatically boost Eglinton's redevelopment and crosstown travel appeal? "Oh, no, there won't be money left over," they whine, but in the context of a $55 billion plan, there will be almost $50 billion left over, more than enough to build whatever is desired. It's the denial of other options and the refusal to match up the transit plans with the planning visions that are really strange: if the province offers even the slightest hint that it'd support and pay for something more than an LRT line, why not listen to them? It's not like the city isn't already *entirely* dependent on the province to pay for the tunneled streetcar...and it's not like a $3B tunneled streetcar has no possibility of being shortened or delayed or cancelled.

... if the province offers even the slightest hint that it'd support and pay for something more than an LRT line, why not listen to them? It's not like the city isn't already *entirely* dependent on the province to pay for the tunneled streetcar...and it's not like a $3B tunneled streetcar has no possibility of being shortened or delayed or cancelled.

Yes - if the Province / Metrolinx puts it this way, "you can get funding for your original TC plan ... or, you can get additional funds to upgrade Eglinton to a full subway, but those funds are not transferrable to other projects." In that case, the City should seize the opportunity and build a full subway.

However, should Metrolinx champion this particular route, is that the best use of funds?

Note that those 55 B are for the whole GTA. How much of it will be allocated for all Toronto's subway and LRT projects?

(And yes, I know that Jane or Morningside LRT do not look like the smartest investments, either.)

That's not how the funding works...the choices you keep mentioning don't exist and they're not taking a set amount of dollars and dividing it up.

if the province offers even the slightest hint that it'd support and pay for something more than an LRT line, why not listen to them?

I agree. Metrolinx has demonstrated (to my satisfaction at least), that there are some opportunities to upgrade certain lines to a higher capacity technology without sacrificing other transit projects.

I can understand the TTC proposing a lower cost solution if they had to go it alone, but they're not alone anymore. As for the link between station spacing and land use, i must say I'm a convert provided the land use policies and economic realities are correct for the desired outcome.

In my opinion, transit city made sense in a pre-Metrolinx political environment. Some parts can be upgraded, and they now need to make an argument as to why it should stay the same.

That PDF clearly indicated that the optimum ridership for the Eglinton route would only half the ridership required for a subway in 2031.

I don't care about any PDF. I am talking about Adam Giambrone's claim that 105 million riders annually is not good enough ridership for subway, even though Bloor-Danforth probably has similar numbers.

Giambrone is no position to complain about low ridership considering he is among the people pushing for an LRT along Morningside.

I can understand the TTC proposing a lower cost solution if they had to go it alone, but they're not alone anymore.

The city was never going to go it alone! The city had no intention of doing anything other than begging upper levels of government to pay for Transfer City.

Or, the province told them that transit funding was set to change, so start preparing some fantasy maps for us (which gave the city the freedom to rewrite existing transit plans).

The city was never going to go it alone! The city had no intention of doing anything other than begging upper levels of government to pay for Transfer City.

Or, the province told them that transit funding was set to change, so start preparing some fantasy maps for us (which gave the city the freedom to rewrite existing transit plans).

In a pre-MO2020 world, it was usually split 1/3rd each way. Under MO2020, the municipal contribution was 0. I'm willing to give the city the benefit of the doubt and assume they thought they would still have to pay 1/3rd.

That's not the point...they've been complaining for years that they can't afford *anything* and that they could literally not pay for stuff like a Danforth extension to STC. Suddenly, they cancel existing plans and propose billions of dollars worth of new lines, far beyond what they're supposedly capable of paying for (even if they were to only pay for 1/3 of it).

I don't doubt they got a heads up, but there's no way of proving what sort of assurances they got. Either way, the bottom line is that they decided to propose a collection of lowish-cost lines for reasons only they know.

I don't doubt they got a heads up, but there's no way of proving what sort of assurances they got. Either way, the bottom line is that they decided to propose a collection of lowish-cost lines for reasons only they know.

Those reasons are not hard to guess:

"If we propose a few subway lines / extensions, wards that do not get subways will whine that they are neglected.

If we propose a comprehensive subway network, the Province and the Feds will look at the cost, freak out, and refuse to fund anything.

If we propose a mixed subway / LRT network (the most sensible approach from the technical standpoint), there will be a lot of arguments which route deserves a subway and which will have to settle for LRT.

So, let's propose an LRT-only network, get the City's chancellors and MPPs united, and then try to wrestle money from the Province and Ottawa."

Because if we have a streetcar in the middle of the street, avenue-style development will sprout up beside the sidewalks. That's the theory, anyway. It's about "urbanizing the suburbs", not about moving people in speedy manner.

Is there sufficient room on the empty land north of Eglinton from Islington to Martin Grove for development? From a Google Maps perspective it looks like a pretty tight squeeze.

Those reasons are not hard to guess:

"If we propose a few subway lines / extensions, wards that do not get subways will whine that they are neglected.

If we propose a comprehensive subway network, the Province and the Feds will look at the cost, freak out, and refuse to fund anything.

If we propose a mixed subway / LRT network (the most sensible approach from the technical standpoint), there will be a lot of arguments which route deserves a subway and which will have to settle for LRT.

So, let's propose an LRT-only network, get the City's chancellors and MPPs united, and then try to wrestle money from the Province and Ottawa."

That sounds just about right.

Except now that subways are being mentioned, Giambrone et al. are freaking out. I don't get why the NDP seems to hate subways now. Wasn't it Bob Rae who started Eglinton and Sheppard?

These billions of dollars of LRT projects were proposed to bring the magic of streetcars to the suburbs, not to prevent a few councillors from getting upset because they may not get to be seen in as many photo ops...as we saw with the RT replacement process, "wards" were proven to be complete pushovers.

Back