Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Ah that's good so basically no one is getting anywhere in the downtown core!

So pretty much Bathurst, Spadina, and Jarvis will be the only N-S arterials that will be unscathed with anything this year. Let's hope our existing lovely subway system isnt a screwed up mess this summer or literally no one will be getting anywhere on time.

So pretty much Bathurst, Spadina, and Jarvis will be the only N-S arterials that will be unscathed with anything this year.

Afraid that is not quite correct. While the work at the Queen and Spadina intersection may only require weekend lane closures, the work at King and Bathurst will be more disruptive. Scaffolding is to be erected along the west and north sides of the Banknote Building, in particular closing one northbound lane of Bathurst. Communications have been that the lane closure is expected to be long term, and will leave northbound traffic on Bathurst with two lanes. The centre lane has the street car stop, and outside of rush hours, currently allows left turns onto westbound King Street. There will also be one lane left on the east side of the streetcar platform - to accommodate both through traffic northbound on Bathurst Street as well as vehicles turning right onto King Street eastbound. Unfortunately, right turning vehicles are frequently impeded by the often heavy pedestrian traffic across the intersection.

Once the lane closure on the east side of Bathurst south of King Street takes place (which should be soon), there will not be a single clear lane for northbound through traffic at the intersection of Bathurst and King Streets.

Reactions: PL1
Afraid that is not quite correct. While the work at the Queen and Spadina intersection may only require weekend lane closures, the work at King and Bathurst will be more disruptive. Scaffolding is to be erected along the west and north sides of the Banknote Building, in particular closing one northbound lane of Bathurst. Communications have been that the lane closure is expected to be long term, and will leave northbound traffic on Bathurst with two lanes. The centre lane has the street car stop, and outside of rush hours, currently allows left turns onto westbound King Street. There will also be one lane left on the east side of the streetcar platform - to accommodate both through traffic northbound on Bathurst Street as well as vehicles turning right onto King Street eastbound. Unfortunately, right turning vehicles are frequently impeded by the often heavy pedestrian traffic across the intersection.

Once the lane closure on the east side of Bathurst south of King Street takes place (which should be soon), there will not be a single clear lane for northbound through traffic at the intersection of Bathurst and King Streets.
Well looks like that just leaves just Spadina and Jarvis being unscathed!

I dont think i've ever seen it this bad with the level of arterial roads being hit with some kind of construction in the downtown core, and I havent even mentioned the East-West routes either.

According to Metrolinx:

Preparation for demoing at Queen-Spadina is in full swing. Currently all utilities and services are being removed from all buildings. There also seems to be some work on the windows of 378 Queen W. (NE side of Q-S junction).
Demolition on the SW corner will begin as early as 10th July.
Demolition on NE corner will begin as early as 10th August.

There may be sidewalk and land/ road closures on Queens W and Spadina, but it will be for a few hours at a time and will be scheduled for weekends.

Question, is there a specific method of building tunnels and stations, like can they begin construction of the stations before the tunnel has even past, or is tunnel first then stations ?

Have these guys learned anything from Eglinton to make the On-line easier n faster?? Ino they're building the tunnels extra deep to avoid utilities, but doesn't that just add to the stations construction time....

Question, is there a specific method of building tunnels and stations, like can they begin construction of the stations before the tunnel has even past, or is tunnel first then stations ?

Have these guys learned anything from Eglinton to make the On-line easier n faster?? Ino they're building the tunnels extra deep to avoid utilities, but doesn't that just add to the stations construction time....
I believe in Vancouver's subway extension, they are tunnelling and excavating the stations at the same time, and then TBMs then drive through the poured base slab of the stations.

Here's a video for how the Eglinton Line was tunneled.

I imagine similar techniques will be used on the Ontario Line.

Here's a video for how the Eglinton Line was tunneled.

I imagine similar techniques will be used on the Ontario Line.
One detail I didn't notice until now is that the video seems to show the stations with platform screen doors. Something the OL will have but not the Crosstown. It definitely is a mistake but makes me wonder if this was ever considered for the Crosstown.

I believe in Vancouver's subway extension, they are tunnelling and excavating the stations at the same time, and then TBMs then drive through the poured base slab of the stations.
I thought I read somewhere that Ontario Line was doing this for some stations (Moss Park, Bathurst, Spadina). I'm not sure about Corktown; the construction area there is already huge - I'm not sure where their launch site it.

A curious job posting on the MX website... extensions being cooked up?

1688085545578.png

Don't look at me, I'm not applying, LOL

I haven't checked in on this file recently, but do I think PRESTO will continue to exist, beyond the current contract expiry w/TTC........ yes.

I do think the terms will change; and be more favorable to TTC; but we will see; I expect this is all part and parcel of fare integration too.

Don't look at me, I'm not applying, LOL

I haven't checked in on this file recently, but do I think PRESTO will continue to exist, beyond the current contract expiry w/TTC........ yes.

I do think the terms will change; and be more favorable to TTC; but we will see; I expect this is all part and parcel of fare integration too.
I thought the job posting had to do with OL extensions, not the future of Presto?

Back