News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 642     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The TTC has always said that it will but will only have lights at the interchange stations because they aren't going to add them to the Toronto Rocket trains at this time.
I thought the plan was to just shut off the lights? They've been replacing the maps with new maps that don't have transparent holes for the lights.

And here, we reach the fundamental issue with a PPP. The company chosen to construct the line was not up to the task or bid too low, and now the only tool Metrolinx and the province have to punish them is to withhold payments, further delaying the line. Metrolinx has had contractual issues of their own, but CTS has clearly been bungling this project and its not like we can just fire them and find another contractor. We are stuck in a contractual argument that could take years to resolve.

I thought the plan was to just shut off the lights? They've been replacing the maps with new maps that don't have transparent holes for the lights.
They shouldn't add more lights since TR trains can't run on line 5. However, there's no reason they couldn't just swap in an interchange LED other than cost.

And here, we reach the fundamental issue with a PPP. The company chosen to construct the line was not up to the task or bid too low, and now the only tool Metrolinx and the province have to punish them is to withhold payments, further delaying the line. Metrolinx has had contractual issues of their own, but CTS has clearly been bungling this project and its not like we can just fire them and find another contractor. We are stuck in a contractual argument that could take years to resolve.

The other problem with a P3 is - ML probably has known about any area(s) of contention for a long time, and has had no interest in disclosing these to the public. The true story of this project has yet to be told. And nobody feels accountable to let that come to light.

I don't have any criticism of Crosslinx in this - yet - innocent until proven guilty. In a large project there may well have been unforeseens that present a legitimate case to accept delay or seek additional payment. I suspect ML is doing its usual "we will see you in court" as a bit of political theatre..... when they have gone to court in the past, they have had to back away from their initial position. This may be more of the same.

The point is - the premise that for a project this big, one can let a fixed-price contract and duck all public risk, is pure fantasy.

We need a public inquiry similar to Ottawa.

- Paul

They shouldn't add more lights since TR trains can't run on line 5. However, there's no reason they couldn't just swap in an interchange LED other than cost.
I agree, I'm just saying the new maps they've been installing look terrible with the LED's and I heard that they were going to turn them off. 🤔

honestly I think it all started when Verster opened his mouth to publicly bash CTS. this burned the bridge. they ought to have done it like the sopranos... deal with family problems internally but keep
a united front in public. i dont like either party for their incompetence but to air dirty laundry in front of the entire country only led to mutual resentment and not a joint desire to finish the job properly.

on a related note... how is the fix of the 3mm misaligned rails going... has there been an estimate given on how long it will take?

Last edited:
as far as I can tell Crosslinx is continuing work, just trying to find ways to sue Metrolinx to get more money since they are presumably not making any money off the project any more.
They are continuing work? the press release says that theyre stopping work? maybe just commissioning and handoff work with the ttc exclusively?

Back