News   May 03, 2024
 554     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 349     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 196     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This city makes me sick.

Attachments

• s0381_fl0308_id12103-61.jpg
    s0381_fl0308_id12103-61.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 318
This city makes me sick.

Why? Because it is just like every other city in the world? EVERY city undergoes replacement of decaying buildings with new ones, even such vaunted places as Paris -- most of which city's famed mid-rise tenements are less than 150 years old, while the land they occupy has been built on for much longer. Paris had its big urban renewal in the ninteenth century, but it still had it.

I agree that in retrospect, certain buildings should have been saved, but it is not possible or desirable to save everything.

I agree that in retrospect, certain buildings should have been saved, but it is not possible or desirable to save everything.

I strongly disagree as new can never possibly ever be as good as old no matter what a piece of historical shit it may be. That pic represents bad neoclassical pre-war PoMo and rather ordinary second empire. IMO ... bring on the Burka Varacalli!!!!

It's worth noting that maestro's post above contains an historical first-time-ever use of four exclamation points after the words "Burka Varacalli", a quadruply punctuated exclamation with one chance in a quintillion of appearing again in a non-ironic statement.

While it's a simple-minded way of putting things, I agree--going back to the early 50s, would any of this have been any safer elsewhere? This really *would* have been regarded as expendable commercial junk at the time...

True of False?

A Tridel agent told me last Saturday that the 1 Bloor project has been cancelled because they cannot get the permit from City. All the money collected as deposit will be refunded.

Is this ture? I haven't followed this thread for a while. Could someone help to clarify?

that's a very big statement to make from an agent representing the competition, they better be 100% sure ... do you know the name of this Tridel agent?

Seems like every other week someone knows someone who knows something about this project's doomed fate.

I suspect that this trend will continue until the last resident moves in in 2014 or whenever. It will continue with or without official word from those in the know and it will continue to annoy all of those who would rather wait and hear the official fate.

But to answer the question, I don't know and will wait and see.

False

There's far too much money at stake here - for the developer and the City -for "the permit" to simply be withheld and for the parties to walk away from the table.

If that really was a Tridel agent that told you that, he/she is a liar and unethical, or just plain stupid.

Read the thread. There are a lot of issues to be worked out here for such a large complex on a small plot of land at a very complex site. Bazis wants to build one of the tallest residential buildings in the world here: the process takes time.

The city wants this sucker built. Development is underway. There is already permission (approved zoning) for a tall residential tower on this site. There exists no community opposition for the tower. The 'permit' rumour is bogus.

If that really was a Tridel agent that told you that, he/she is a liar and unethical, or just plain stupid.

Yes, she is. She is a sales agent from Tridel 300 front. What a funny name, It reminds me of Meet the Spartans:)....Anyway, when she boast 300 is one of the best high rise condo in downtown toronto, I mentioned 1Bloor East. She almost immediately dismissed my comments by saying 1Bloor project cancelled.

Perhaps she's thinking that the two projects might be considered competiting for the same pool of buyers? What better way than to sow seeds of doubt?

AoD

Well perhaps the Tridel agent has fallen down with a case of wishful thinking. I'm sure Tridelwebmaster, a valuable contributor to this site, will be interested to know more about this agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back