News   Mar 28, 2024
 537     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Ontario Science Centre - Pedestrian Bridge

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone on this forum has any insight into how long it might be before the pedestrian bridge that joins the top of the Science Centre to the all the main halls will be back open again.

Currently (for the last year) they've have shuttle busses ferrying everyone up and down.

I talked to someone there and they said work hasn't even begun yet (not sure what has to be done?) and they're still assessing what the issue is.

I figure if anyone knows what might be going on it might be someone on here.

The Science Centre is such a gem. I hope it's open again soon.

Thanks!

It might never get fixed. There are hints that they may be moving the Science Centre down to Ontario Place. You can see 'Science Programming' marked off on the redevelopment plans. Check this post...

I don't love the idea of moving the Science Centre, but I do hope that they do something better with the surrounding area/the giant parking lot now that it'll be at the intersection of two rapid transit lines. It always felt very in-the-middle-of-nowhere to me.

I don't love the idea of moving the Science Centre, but I do hope that they do something better with the surrounding area/the giant parking lot now that it'll be at the intersection of two rapid transit lines. It always felt very in-the-middle-of-nowhere to me.
There is a new public school planned in one of the empty lots next to the science center.

I wish we’d start engineering public, indoor third spaces. If the Science Centre had to move - I’d love to see the place kitted out with a great library, community center, a daycare, throw a service Ontario in there, maybe some medical and dental offices - a big mall of public services for one stop shopping.

Granted, THIS particular govt ain’t never gonna do that.

Ironically I think Thorncliffe Plaza was leaning into something like that last I saw (more to do with cheap leases on dying mall) and Don Mills Centre had real community before it was torn down.

It would be ironic if the Science Centre left Don Mills just as it was *finally* easy to get there by transit. Seriously though, its Don Valley location is pretty great, right in the valley, and will be on two subway lines eventually. If we were starting from scratch, Ontario Place may make more sense, but we aren't. Still, I think we'll get a satellite of the Science Centre, maybe focusing on hydrology or something to match its location with the full-scale Science Centre remaining. Just my hunch.

Last edited:
It would be ironic if the Science Centre left Don Mills just as it was *finally* easy to get there by transit. Seriously though, its Don Valley location is pretty great, right in the valley, and will be on two subway lines eventually. If we were starting from scratch, Ontario Place may make more sense, but we aren't. Still, I think we'll get a satellite of the Science Centre, maybe focusing on hydrology or something to match its location with thee full-scale Science Centre remaining. Just my hunch.
Similar to how Sudbury has Science North and Dynamic Earth (which Science North operates).

It would be ironic if the Science Centre left Don Mills just as it was *finally* easy to get there by transit. Seriously though, its Don Valley location is pretty great, right in the valley, and will be on two subway lines eventually. If we were starting from scratch, Ontario Place may make more sense, but we aren't. Still, I think we'll get a satellite of the Science Centre, maybe focusing on hydrology or something to match its location with the full-scale Science Centre remaining. Just my hunch.
There's more than one pod at Ontario Place so it'd be neat if they dedicated one each to a different aspect of Ontario culture - AGO could curate an art one, the ROM a history one, ON Sci Centre a hydrology one (given the location) etc. I really hope they keep the main ON Sci Centre where it is though. I know it feels a bit far out, but now the Aga Khan is in the area too and it has great access to nature. Was there recently and the wild cardinals were landing regularly outside the windows - great views of the ravine too. Wish they'd actually build out the nature learning aspect even more. Also, they need to bury/hide those parking lots and add other useful stuff where they used to be. Happy to hear there might be a school going in. 😊

It would be a travesty to move the Ontario Science Centre; the classic Moriyama upper buildings and whole arrival situation, gradually descending into the valley on the escalators, is unique, and should not be let go of easily… so the bridge should be fixed, and the talk of a potential move to Ontario Place should be exposed for the empty desperation thinking it represents.

It would be a travesty to move the Ontario Science Centre; the classic Moriyama upper buildings and whole arrival situation, gradually descending into the valley on the escalators, is unique, and should not be let go of easily… so the bridge should be fixed, and the talk of a potential move to Ontario Place should be exposed for the empty desperation thinking it represents.

It's the Ford Government trying to fix what isn't broken...

...well, save for the mentioned bridge...which isn't going to be fixed magically by moving the Science Centre.

Back