News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The city only restricted how much space could be used for advertising. Not the type of advertising that can be used. - If advertisers are willing to spend the cash, more innovative advertising can be employed. _ I'm pretty sure.

The city only restricted how much space could be used for advertising. Not the type of advertising that can be used. - If advertisers are willing to spend the cash, more innovative advertising can be employed. _ I'm pretty sure.

No, the city has control of what kind of signs go up where. The advertising plans which the city recieved were all specific as to which type of ad would be going where. The square is full of other types of sign, but each application is looked at seperately. Just because there is an LCD screen already on the building, doesnt mean that they can go right ahead and replace an existing backlit with LCD. They need the citys approval.

No, the city has control of what kind of signs go up where. The advertising plans which the city recieved were all specific as to which type of ad would be going where. The square is full of other types of sign, but each application is looked at seperately. Just because there is an LCD screen already on the building, doesnt mean that they can go right ahead and replace an existing backlit with LCD. They need the citys approval.

I'm not challenging your statement, I'm sure your correct but I'm sure that I recall an LED ticker indicated above the Adidas entrance on the exterior signage elevation which turned into a backlit.

^ The LED was installed below instead. It's there, go have a look.

What I'm stupified by is that the Toronto Life sign hasn't been put up yet. I'm getting the feeling that Toronto Life isn't happy with the building and is looking for a way to drop out or to force PenEquity to address their concerns.

^ The LED was installed below instead. It's there, go have a look.

Ok yes, I remember that wimpy, useless, forgettable thing now.
Speaking of useless (and embarrassing), Y&D Square really needs to repair that sad video screen at the corner of Yonge & Dundas.

Trust him, its horrible. Its also a slap in the face. Whoever allowed that ad to go there should be fired. A Pennsylvania tourism ad in one of Toronto's prime tourist areas?

Nothing like... "Welcome to Toronto, now come visit Pennsylvania!"

Whoever allowed that ad got a nice commission cheque. Highest bidder wins. So long as its tasteful they can put up whatever they want there. Nothing wrong with some American money coming into the city.

True...this is an absolute bone-headed ad for this location - absolutely wrong message in our 'premier' square....whoever signed up that account should be fired...

I think that message is just fine. Everyone can see that it's an advertisement. It's not like you would think "oh look, Toronto is telling people to go elsewhere".
Obviously you put ads where you think the most people will see it so what it's really saying is that this is an important spot for it.

Wow, there's some real insecurity here. I wonder if New Yorkers would be in a hissy fit if big Toronto advertisements were put up around Times Square.

With respect the the Toronto Life Square signage, the more simple and likely explanation is that this is just the usual slow process of development in this city. Unlike Torch, TLS pretty much turned out like the rendering. It's not a pretty building but it's not a hideous unfinished beast like Torch is. I don't think TL has any reason to want to pull out of this now... at least not due to the appearance of the building.

I think that message is just fine. Everyone can see that it's an advertisement. It's not like you would think "oh look, Toronto is telling people to go elsewhere".
Obviously you put ads where you think the most people will see it so what it's really saying is that this is an important spot for it.

So refreshing to see a calm voice.

I've always thought that the purpose of the portion of TLS facing onto Dundas Square was primarily for advertising. So if they can fill it with that, fine. To me, the failure is the portion along Victoria.

But I agree with ganjavih; while TLS is middling in its frontal appearance, Torch is a true mistake.

I agree. It's overbearing and not at all in tune with the environment around the pond.

I am, however, going to reserve judgement on the Torch until it has a chance to prove itself with its new tennants. Being more than just a overblown sales center for an Olympics which didn't happen, should help in this respect. Remember, Millenium Dome was London's white elephant until about 2002-3 when it became a cash cow.

Could Torch be the prow of the good ship Progress?

Seeing the ad for "The House Bunny" that's recently popped up on TLS, I thought that might be the most appropriate add-on to date...

Back