Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Isn't it the roof itself that is one of the building's most distinguished architectural/historical features? I read somewhere that it's fastened only one one of the four corners, and the other three are "floating" for expansion/contraction of the roof.

Isn't it the roof itself that is one of the building's most distinguished architectural/historical features?

The roof isn't visible unless you're far from MLG, or if you're looking down at it from a taller building. I'd say that the Art Deco exterior is the most important feature of the building. Besides that, it's all nostalgia.

MLG is crying out to be transformed into an art gallery a la Tate Modern. In fact, I believe eventually this will happen, as it's pretty clear by now that the Superstore ain't happening. What better way for Galen Weston to truly make his mark as a cultural patron and one-up the Thomsons?

Blovertis:

I don't know if the Westons are collectors of Modern and Contemporary works. David Thomson is said to have a motherlode of Rothkos, etc though.

AoD

The Westons are highly accomplished people but I don't think I've heard them described as prominent art collectors, certainly not to the extent of the Thomsons. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for them to found an art gallery, nice as the thought might be.

And I do think the store will eventually happen. I've heard nothing to indicate that it won't. Loblaw has been distracted by more pressing concerns, which will hopefully be resolved in the not-so-distant future.

Automation Gallery for head of Heritage Preservation!

Actually, I hear that there's a provision in the Ontario Heritage Act that says that you can do whatever you like with designated properties as long as your proposal ends with the sentence, "Yeah i know its a heritage building."

Hey im all for preserving MLG.Rumour has it that it rains just as bad inside,my concern is if this building aint developed in the next 5 years they wont be saving much exept the facade.I can see them taking it down brick by brick similar to that 175 old heritage building down at Shangra-La and rebuilding it with a modern infastructure.Regarding the roof no mater what they build here they will blow out this old 40 year patched roof and replace it.

And I do think the store will eventually happen. I've heard nothing to indicate that it won't. Loblaw has been distracted by more pressing concerns, which will hopefully be resolved in the not-so-distant future.

I dont know about that,the two buildings MLG and the art deco warehouse at Bathurst and Lakeshore,which they both have proposed new Loblaws mega stores are very expensive buildings to preserve and renovate according to todays codes.Look at the Automotove Bldg.at the CNE 40 million bucks,Rebuilding and renovating any one of these structures could cost just as much or more.
I think the Westons have better ways to spend their money and will eventully flip these properties.

Nuit Blanche 2008

...Maple Leaf Gardens will resonate with robotic voices as Toronto's Luis Jacobs asks participants to picture a world Without Persons.
Full programming details will be available on www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca in late July. The public can sign up for the e-newsletter on the site for event updates and tools to plan their night.

It takes place on October 4, 2008.

I dont know about that,the two buildings MLG and the art deco warehouse at Bathurst and Lakeshore,which they both have proposed new Loblaws mega stores are very expensive buildings to preserve and renovate according to todays codes.Look at the Automotove Bldg.at the CNE 40 million bucks,Rebuilding and renovating any one of these structures could cost just as much or more.
I think the Westons have better ways to spend their money and will eventully flip these properties.

Let's hope MLG is flipped soon. Do we really want to wait another 10 years while (almost) an entire city block in the centre of town rots? Kyle Rae, the city, the province, even the nation should nudge the Westons in that direction. They've sat on this site far too long, to the detriment of the city. How about some combo of bars, a classy LCBO like at Summerhill Station, and a National Museum of Canada? Hockey Hall of Fame relocation? Or even more ambitious - Museum of The Americas? A combination of some retail with a cultural centre would be much better than a friggin "Superstore" which is nothing more than a glorified Walmart.

Let's hope MLG is flipped soon. Do we really want to wait another 10 years while (almost) an entire city block in the centre of town rots? Kyle Rae, the city, the province, even the nation should nudge the Westons in that direction. They've sat on this site far too long, to the detriment of the city. How about some combo of bars, a classy LCBO like at Summerhill Station, and a National Museum of Canada? Hockey Hall of Fame relocation? Or even more ambitious - Museum of The Americas? A combination of some retail with a cultural centre would be much better than a friggin "Superstore" which is nothing more than a glorified Walmart.

Please let's not discuss the dreaded "W" in the MLG thread. My nights are sleepless enough.

Not all that surprising....

Loblaw's revamp of Maple Leaf Gardens on hold

Grocery chain dismisses talk of historic rink's engineering challenges

Sep 02, 2008 04:30 AM
TheStar.com
Vanessa Lu
City Hall Bureau Chief

Nearly a decade after the Maple Leafs left their old arena, it looks like the doors to Maple Leaf Gardens will stay shut for some time.

Loblaw Companies Ltd. bought the property and has repeatedly touted plans to turn it into a flagship store, while keeping the façade of Canada's oldest hockey shrine.

Yet more than a year after the supermarket chain held its annual analyst meeting at the historic rink to signal the future location, no construction has begun.

By 2007, the company had received all permits and approvals, and said it was set to begin interior cleanup before construction would start. Actual construction could take up to two years.

"We definitely are looking to build at an appropriate time," said Loblaw spokesperson Inge van den Berg, adding there was no timeline.

"The retail market is always a changing dynamic and at this time we've decided to focus on improving the operations of our current stores," she said.

Councillor Kyle Rae, who represents the Carlton St. area, said he's unhappy Loblaw isn't moving ahead. "It's really disappointing. People in the neighbourhood have been expecting it."

The heritage board and city council signed off on plans in 2004. The city added traffic signals around the site to ease deliveries and parking for the new store.

Rae speculated the delay may be related to construction challenges.

"I think they have come to realize the structural limitations of the building make it cost-prohibitive to move forward," he said, adding it offers complex engineering challenges. The stadium seating was embedded into the walls, essentially serving as buttresses that hold the building up, Rae said.

Van den Berg insisted that any potential structural challenges are not the reason for the delay, just a focus on other priorities.

Despite suggestions Ryerson University might covet the site for a sports facility, university president Sheldon Levy rejected such a move.

"It would be, I think, enormously expensive to retrofit that building. We are such a long shot. We are better to put our time and energy in something that is more feasible."

The challenges include the age of the Gardens, which would make it difficult to reflect "green" designs.

While Ryerson needs more sports and recreation facilities, including sports fields, it would be better to consider others, Levy said.

Ryerson is looking at various options, including the possibility of building a student residence with a sports facility anchoring the base.

Back