News   May 07, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 278     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 292     0 

Cabbagetown

yes please

:( Just now returned from an evening stroll down Parliament St., having discovered that Posterity Graphics is having a closing sale! What a drag to think this place will not be around any more.

The owner is a lovely person if there ever was one. He's retiring. (His display says "retiring but not shy").

Darned, I wish someone would buy the business and keep it going. There's a poster in the window I must have, won't tell you which one it is.

Thanks for the info. I was planning to head over to Cabbagetown this Saturday so will have to drop by.

:( Just now returned from an evening stroll down Parliament St., having discovered that Posterity Graphics is having a closing sale! What a drag to think this place will not be around any more.

The owner is a lovely person if there ever was one. He's retiring. (His display says "retiring but not shy").

Darned, I wish someone would buy the business and keep it going. There's a poster in the window I must have, won't tell you which one it is.

Yes, it's a shame to see one of the nicer stores in the neighbourhood close. I'm actually thankful to hear it's due to old age, rather than lack of sales. Hopefully something just as appropriate and charming will take its place (ie., not another dollar store).

Oh, oh, oh......it's the perfect location for a Book City. I've already sent an e-mail to Book City asking them to open up in Cabbagetown, along with details on the Cabbagetown BIA.

I think a few more e-mails from other folks in the neighbourhood to Book City would help convince them. Here's the details of their head office. Let's start a Book City for Cabbagetown campaign!

Book City
716 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON, M6J 1E8
Tel: 416-964-1167
Fax: 416-964-3430
Email: info@bookcity.ca

I just now sent the below e-mail to the Cabbagetown BIA...

doug@oldcabbagetown.com
Hi Doug,

I see that Posterity Graphics is having a closing
sale. I think this location has great potential for a
brand-name book store. Parliament St. has lots of
restaurants and coffee shops, but little else to draw
pedestrian traffic from Cabbagetown after 7pm. A
Book City would be perfect, as they're a recognisable
brand, sell new books (as opposed to small/hobbyist
used book shops) and are open late. Last week, to
that end, I sent an e-mail to Book City asking them to
consider CT, along with the contact details for the
CT-BIA.

I suggest the BIA contact Book City to advise them of
the economic and demographic benefits of the area in
general, and the Prosperity location if it's
available.

Now if we can only have something done about the
derelict ex-Javaville building and the vacant
ex-Petvalu on Winchester with its crowds of Coffee
Time loiterers out front at all hours, but a book
store on Parliament would be a great start.

Best Regards,

I just now sent the below e-mail to the Cabbagetown BIA...

I told my ladyfriend about this. She also lives in Cabbagetown and works in the book industry and she got very excited at the prospect, she said book city as been expanding quite a lot recently, as well. We're both going to write to both parties. Just one thing, does this sort of endeavour ever bear fruit? can you put a bug in the ear of a company and a BIA and influence them? If so, awesome.

Also, is anyone else planning on getting a Cabbagetown t-shirt. I know it's hokey, but I'm thinking about it.
See here for details:
http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

I've met Doug, the president of the BIA, and I believe he will definitely listen. Book City, if they're smart will definitely listen, as it's not every day you receive any feedback at all from the public, let alone requests for a new location.

I wonder if many Cabbagetown book lovers checked out Circus while they were open? I was sad to see it leave. I'm not sure if that bodes well for a new book store to open up in the neighbourhood, or if Gerard Street was too far off Cabbagetonians' radars?

I'd never noticed Circus Books on Gerrard. A quick look on Google Maps shows it was near Berkley, which isn't really Cabbagetown, though some might argue that CT goes all the way to Jarvis or even Sherborne.

Independant book shops aren't really what's needed in CT. What we need is a chain like Book City.

Bad news. Book City replied to my e-mail advising that they have no plans for further expansion anywhere, and are concentrating on getting their current stores up to speed.

Boo! Oh well.

The "starbucks" building on Aberdeen is taking shape. I don't have a camera, though. Anyone?

Back