News   May 09, 2024
 279     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 556     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I'm someone certainly open to non-Tory alternative (I voted Keesmaat)
I would like to see a more assertive move on Vision Zero, would have preferred the tear-down option on the Gardiner, and would support higher taxes to raise the quality of public services.........

For all of that....I think people tend to undersell the change in 2 terms of Tory.

Quietly.....

The City has become infinitely more accepting of patios, and has approved regulations allowing far more configurations and lower regulatory barriers to them.

Implemented cycle tracks on Bloor/Danforth, a portion of Yonge, approved them for more of Yonge and is set to deliver this year and next more cycling infrastructure than in the City's history.

Approved laneway houses/garden suites; and backyard hens of all things.

The City has just initiated a strategy with an eye to getting rid of most Green-P surface lots and a good deal of on-street parking.

The long overdue Bloor-Yonge Capacity improvement project got approval and funding.

The grade-separated crossing of Progress-McCowan has been approved and funded to become an at-grade pedestrian-friendly intersection.

Waterfrontoronto has seen its mandate expanded to cover all of Etobcoke and Scarborough and its delivery rate for projects has begun to accelerate.

It is during Tory's tenure that the Naturalization of the mouth of the Don River and associated Portlands works were fully funded.

Albeit it far from Smartrack, the City has moved forward to deliver several new GO Stations within City limits, at Bloor-Lansdowne, Liberty Village, Finch East, St. Clair and East Habour.

While the Housing Now program has been a bit less ambititious than one might hope and a bit too slow, it has moved forward as is more ambitious in delivering new affordable housing that
any program since amalgamation.

The Toronto Green Standard for new buildings is among the more ambitious of its kind as has steadily moved forward under Tory as well.

Meanwhile Toronto finally abolished parking minimums

While I truly believe we need more dollars for public services and housing; and that our Mayor should be more overtly leading that charge............
Some rather remarkable things have been happening while people have been yawning at his pronouncements.
We need to go after the councillors. Especially the ones who are anti-public transit, anti-cyclists, and pro-automobile. The mayor has only one vote on city council. City Council is made up of 26 members: the Mayor, who is elected city-wide, and 25 Councillors who are elected in each ward across the city. Work on getting 25 councillors who will improve Toronto the way you want.

Everyone's favourite municipal corporate welfare program (IMIT) is the subject of a new report to next week's Economic and Community Development Ctte.

How could this report be peak-Toronto?

It recommends another report (Review) of the IMIT (Imagination, Manufacturing, Innovation and Technology) tax credit scheme. What's so eye-rolling about that? What makes it peak Toronto, you ask?

Well, the previous review was done only 4 years ago; and the resulting by-law which sought to consolidate the Community Improvement Areas utilized to determine IMIT eligibility is still under appeal before the OLT.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and of course, the City will hire a third-party consultant to help. The consultant enrichment program is a key if un-official city policy that informs all aspects of civic decision making!

The proposed terms of reference are as follows:

View attachment 385822

View attachment 385823

The results of all this are due in Q1 2023; whether or not the by-law change from previous review has been settled yet............. LOL

😩
How did I miss this post right here, this is the exact status quo non-sense i'm talking about.

For heaven's sake, what else is there to review about this program?? It's an out of date, out of touch program which there is 0 need for whatsoever in the downtown core and corporations are using it to exploit the city. But yet the city wants to diddle around, "study" its viability even more, and then on top of that hire a consultant, because they themselves cant use their own expertise to determine if their program is effective?

This is the frustrating type of garbage that infuriates me.

Internet Domain Name .toronto coming soon.​

From link.

Right now, if you want an internet domain name that screams 'Toronto,' your best bet is to actually invest thousands of kilometres away in the far-off island kingdom of Tonga, which has .to as its internet country code top-level domain.

But that all could soon change according to a new lobbying file opened by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA), which could create a brand new top-level domain code specifically for the City of Toronto.
News of the new domain appeared in the City of Toronto's lobbyist registrar in a March 31 application that claims "CIRA will be discussing the merits for the City of Toronto to apply or not to apply for the .TORONTO top-level domain when the next application round is opened by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers."

It opens up some amazing possibilities for joke URLs like youcantafford.toronto or the905isnot.toronto, or even more serious ones for existing entities like universityof.toronto or cityof.toronto.

And it isn't just a novelty. Top-level domains like the .ca seen at the end of many Canadian websites immediately indicate to online shoppers and other web surfers that they are in the right place, and not browsing prices in foreign currency or accidentally looking at a similarly named business abroad.

Though currency is not as much of a factor when introducing city-specific domains, they can still help to establish a sense of place for businesses trying to fine-tune their online presence.
Dozens of cities around the globe already have their own top-level domains, including a few right here in North America like Boston (.boston), Miami (.miami), New York City (.nyc), and Las Vegas (.vegas), while the province of Quebec also has its own .quebec domain.

Wonder about the other "Toronto"'s around the world?

Canada​

Toronto, Prince Edward Island, an unincorporated area

United States​

Elsewhere​

Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Kyiv to address Toronto City Council

Tomorrow, City Council will welcome Kyiv, Ukraine's Mayor Vitaliy Klitschko and Deputy Mayor Mykola Povoroznyk as they virtually address Council. Ukrainian to English translation will be provided.

• Date: Thursday April 7*

• Time: 9:30 a.m. EDT

• Location: City Hall, 100 Queen St. W., Council Chamber. A livestream will be available at www.youtube.com/TorontoCityCouncilLive.

*Timing may shift pending guest speakers' schedule and availability.

This is Sunnybrook park though. It is a preferred venue for wedding photos. They also have stables there which is likely why they have notes about leashes.

As for unauthorized fires.. there was a massive fire at the stables there a few years ago.

This is not your run of the mill park like Thompson Park or Centennial Park. This is alot more high end, moreso than High Park.

Frisbee by permit only. 🤣

§ 608-17. Organized sports or activities. While in a park, no person shall:

A. Arrange or engage in an organized sport or activity, unless authorized by permit;
B. Interfere with an organized sport or activity authorized by permit; or
C. Utilize a designated area without a permit where it is posted to prohibit or restrict such use.

Is just tossing a ball or frisbee an 'organized sport or activity'? I can see not having unauthorized rec leagues playing games, but needing a permit for two people to toss a frisbee seems a bit absurd.

Is just tossing a ball or frisbee an 'organized sport or activity'? I can see not having unauthorized rec leagues playing games, but needing a permit for two people to toss a frisbee seems a bit absurd.
Do you know of a case where 2 people tossing a frisbee have been ticketed for being 'an organised sport or activity"?? I doubt very strongly there are any!

I would doubt it, but it seems like they have had enough issues with organized sports in this park, probably frisbee specific, to put up a sign.
Most parks don't have signs with a curated selection of bylaws posted for no reason.

Do you know of a case where 2 people tossing a frisbee have been ticketed for being 'an organised sport or activity"?? I doubt very strongly there are any!
Whether it is enforced or not, the bylaw seems overly harsh. You are exposing yourself to the whims of bylaw enforcement.

Back