News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

This is clearly going to be abbreviated as something... (ENWN?)

Today, North York Community Council voted to name a new City of Toronto community recreation centre and library for the Wendat word Ethennonnhawahstihnen'. Once opened, it will become the first City community recreation centre and library branch in Toronto to be named in collaboration with the Huron-Wendat Nation.

The Wendat word Ethennonnhawahstihnen' (pronounced Etta-nonna wasti-nuh) means “where they had a good, beautiful life” and was first suggested by the Huron-Wendat Nation for the nearby park and lane. The location, near Bayview and Sheppard Avenues in North York, is adjacent to a significant Huron-Wendat archaeological site where findings showed that inhabitants lived long and healthy lives in relative peace.

This is clearly going to be abbreviated as something... (ENWN?)

Today, North York Community Council voted to name a new City of Toronto community recreation centre and library for the Wendat word Ethennonnhawahstihnen'. Once opened, it will become the first City community recreation centre and library branch in Toronto to be named in collaboration with the Huron-Wendat Nation.

The Wendat word Ethennonnhawahstihnen' (pronounced Etta-nonna wasti-nuh) means “where they had a good, beautiful life” and was first suggested by the Huron-Wendat Nation for the nearby park and lane. The location, near Bayview and Sheppard Avenues in North York, is adjacent to a significant Huron-Wendat archaeological site where findings showed that inhabitants lived long and healthy lives in relative peace.

The world's longest place name has 85 letters — see if you can pronounce it​

5a7e26047101ad3fb84a9416
From link.

Every world traveler knows the struggles of trying to fit into a foreign country’s culture. It requires remembering local customs, practicing appropriate etiquette, and (perhaps the most challenging) learning to speak like a local. But if you visit the North Island of New Zealand, there’s one word that no local will give you a hard time about mispronouncing. In fact, they often shorten it themselves.

Ready?
It’s Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.
This 1,000-foot hill near the township Porangahau holds the Guinness World Record for longest place name with 85 characters. Locals call it Taumata or Taumata Hill.

Though one can certainly use 311, it appears to be more efficient to report SOME things directly:

Bike rings that are damaged or missing can go direct to streetfurniture@toronto.ca

Damaged Astral equipment (shelters, benches, etc can go to: quality@astral.com

Both seem to work!
I think in the case of Astral, it’s still best to go through the city. Telling Astral would mean they can fix something directly without the city being aware.

And we want the city to be aware, so they stop hiring Astral to build crappy billboards that vaguely resemble street furniture.

I think in the case of Astral, it’s still best to go through the city. Telling Astral would mean they can fix something directly without the city being aware.

And we want the city to be aware, so they stop hiring Astral to build crappy billboards that vaguely resemble street furniture.
I do not disagree but Astral are obliged to repair things and I have found, on several occasions, that if one contacts them directly they do so. My aim was to get things fixed, not 'fix the system. If they had NOT repaired the things I drew to their attention, I would certainly have informed 311 (and my Councillor).

Everyone's favourite municipal corporate welfare program (IMIT) is the subject of a new report to next week's Economic and Community Development Ctte.

How could this report be peak-Toronto?

It recommends another report (Review) of the IMIT (Imagination, Manufacturing, Innovation and Technology) tax credit scheme. What's so eye-rolling about that? What makes it peak Toronto, you ask?

Well, the previous review was done only 4 years ago; and the resulting by-law which sought to consolidate the Community Improvement Areas utilized to determine IMIT eligibility is still under appeal before the OLT.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and of course, the City will hire a third-party consultant to help. The consultant enrichment program is a key if un-official city policy that informs all aspects of civic decision making!

The proposed terms of reference are as follows:

1647525619824.png

1647525648752.png

The results of all this are due in Q1 2023; whether or not the by-law change from previous review has been settled yet............. LOL

😩

That's because the rich elite need someone else to pay for their privilege to use their luxury cars. The 905ers thank the 416ers to let them use the Gardiner for free, without paying for using it with property taxes nor tolls.
I thought the City was going to impose tolls but the province (Wynne at the time) kyboshed it.

Doug Ford didn't want the 905ers having to pay. Instead, the 905ers use the Gardiner and Don Valley for free. In other words, vote buying for Doug.
Sadly, it was Wynne who killed those tolls (vote buying pre-election if memory serves). Doug did however, put the kibosh on the 412 and 418 tolls.

Today we learn Mr.status quo himself will be running for yet another term of mayor, so guess what that means ladies and gentlemen. 4 more years of status quo and no visible change to basically anything this city does, yay this is really just so exciting I cant wait! :rolleyes:

I think it's seriously time for term limits.

John Tory has ended months of intense speculation by confirming to the Star that he will seek a third term as mayor of Toronto.

In an exclusive interview Thursday, the city’s 65th chief magistrate revealed that he will register May 1 to run again in the Oct. 24 civic election.

If he wins and serves a third four-year term, Tory — whose early political career was marked by civic and provincial election losses — will become Toronto’s longest serving mayor, surpassing Art Eggleton’s 11 years in that office.

Yeah, right sure whatever you say Tory:
“We have made significant gains on transit, on housing, on unity of the city, on better functioning of the council, on city finances, building up industries like tech and film, and building up the city’s image,” he told the Star.

“You want to make sure those gains are not going to be lost and that’s going to necessitate the maintenance and strengthening of the partnerships that we’ve developed with other governments.”

I knew he’d run for another term for about two years.

Tory is old money. He lives for the black tie galas and the schmoozing. Civic Action and the United Way were great for that, but being mayor is even better if that’s your thing. The last two years had very little of that.

Unless you pay close attention to city hall, you’re going to be satisfied enough with the no-drama no-vision mayor. The Rogers thing didn’t stick. Not enough people care about the Gardiner money pit, not the park encampment clearances. As long as the garbage is picked up and the taxes stay low on their increasingly valuable houses, why would the average Tory voter care?

I knew he’d run for another term for about two years.

Tory is old money. He lives for the black tie galas and the schmoozing. Civic Action and the United Way were great for that, but being mayor is even better if that’s your thing. The last two years had very little of that.

Unless you pay close attention to city hall, you’re going to be satisfied enough with the no-drama no-vision mayor. The Rogers thing didn’t stick. Not enough people care about the Gardiner money pit, not the park encampment clearances. As long as the garbage is picked up and the taxes stay low on their increasingly valuable houses, why would the average Tory voter care?

I'm someone certainly open to non-Tory alternative (I voted Keesmaat)
I would like to see a more assertive move on Vision Zero, would have preferred the tear-down option on the Gardiner, and would support higher taxes to raise the quality of public services.........

For all of that....I think people tend to undersell the change in 2 terms of Tory.

Quietly.....

The City has become infinitely more accepting of patios, and has approved regulations allowing far more configurations and lower regulatory barriers to them.

Implemented cycle tracks on Bloor/Danforth, a portion of Yonge, approved them for more of Yonge and is set to deliver this year and next more cycling infrastructure than in the City's history.

Approved laneway houses/garden suites; and backyard hens of all things.

The City has just initiated a strategy with an eye to getting rid of most Green-P surface lots and a good deal of on-street parking.

The long overdue Bloor-Yonge Capacity improvement project got approval and funding.

The grade-separated crossing of Progress-McCowan has been approved and funded to become an at-grade pedestrian-friendly intersection.

Waterfrontoronto has seen its mandate expanded to cover all of Etobcoke and Scarborough and its delivery rate for projects has begun to accelerate.

It is during Tory's tenure that the Naturalization of the mouth of the Don River and associated Portlands works were fully funded.

Albeit it far from Smartrack, the City has moved forward to deliver several new GO Stations within City limits, at Bloor-Lansdowne, Liberty Village, Finch East, St. Clair and East Habour.

While the Housing Now program has been a bit less ambititious than one might hope and a bit too slow, it has moved forward as is more ambitious in delivering new affordable housing that
any program since amalgamation.

The Toronto Green Standard for new buildings is among the more ambitious of its kind as has steadily moved forward under Tory as well.

Meanwhile Toronto finally abolished parking minimums

While I truly believe we need more dollars for public services and housing; and that our Mayor should be more overtly leading that charge............
Some rather remarkable things have been happening while people have been yawning at his pronouncements.

Back