Toronto 49-51 Yonge Street | 216.36m | 62s | SmartCentres | a—A

i like the tower but the way it rises above the heritage reminds me of the picture i saw of a lizard which had a virus that was growing from its brain and out of its head, looked very similar to this proposal and im not a fan.

Nope indeed. Absolutely nope. I get that Toronto can't be a museum, but there are buildings that should not be touched under any circumstances; this is one of them. If this is allowed then it's pretty much open season for heritage buildings in this city. Their value goes far beyond the facade, as demonstrated in the interior photographs.

With all the possible spots in the city to build a tall edifice why here!? In addition why are all the proposed tall buildings scrunched in so closely? Is land that scarce in this city..I guess so.

I like the new tower's design (bearing in mind it's a render and we all know how a design can be changed with value engineering, bait and switch tactics, and the like). I just can't abide it growing out of the heritage building at its base. So I guess that means I want the building to remain, but lovingly restored.

it would be amazing if they can design something with same material and arches. Imagine a 60storey tower with stone and arches 😍

Perhaps, but policy and economics generally prevent that even more stringently. Can you suggest a site? I'm curious to know where you're thinking.

Perhaps, but policy and economics generally prevent that even more stringently. Can you suggest a site? I'm curious to know where you're thinking.
There was no specific place I had in mind honestly. But there isnt a particular lack of places to build given the rate that new proposals keep flowing in.

There's plenty of lots between downtown and yorkville area that are ripe for intensification.

As they should. Build this somewhere else no problem. This simply isn't the place for it.
Agreed. If HPS could get their heads out of their a**es and focus on this instead of bulk listing non-descript workers housing from the 1920's we may have a chance of actually preventing this as well..

There was no specific place I had in mind honestly. But there isnt a particular lack of places to build given the rate that new proposals keep flowing in.

There's plenty of lots between downtown and yorkville area that are ripe for intensification.
That's part of the point I was making. There is very much a lack of buildable sites, hence these proposals.

For instance, give me an address and I'll tell you why you can't build there.

Brutal. Agreed, the interior is absolutely worth retaining. We need to keep the historical, different types of social spaces that buildings like these provide.

it would be amazing if they can design something with same material and arches. Imagine a 60storey tower with stone and arches 😍

maybe à la David Adjaye's 130 William Street ?

David_Adjaye-130_William_St-photo_by_Paul_Clemence_(5).jpg

That's part of the point I was making. There is very much a lack of buildable sites, hence these proposals.

For instance, give me an address and I'll tell you why you can't build there.
Ok why not a lot at yonge and elm. There's at least one proposal there for a similar height.

Back