Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Actually, most studies have shown no additional risk of cancer from exposure to low-intensity low-frequency EM fields, such as those generated around high-tension power lines or transformer substations. It appears that the current concerns about elevated cancer risk can be considered an urban legend. (There does seem to be an elevated risk of childhood leukemia according to some studies, but the numbers are low and may be coincidental.) There is also no known mechanism for such EM fields to cause cancer.

Mongo, please don't try to dampen the mass hysteria just to push your agenda of rational thought. Please remember too that someone named Alvar (see a couple of posts back) is referring to unnamed Swedish studies, obviously conducted by people in nice crisp white lab coats, and therefore, you know, something I'm prepared to nod my head about without asking any questions.

Oh you've got me, I'm checking online at http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/ for corroboration.

I'm hoping the at-grade commercial will be a restaurant/bar. It would be an automatic hit considering all the events at the stadium, the Tower being across the street and the expected increase in pedestrian traffic between the AGO and the Tower. Most of the restaurants on Front are always difficult to get into if anything is going on in the area, so something closer to John would really be welcomed I think.

Most of the restaurants on Front are always difficult to get into if anything is going on in the area, so something closer to John would really be welcomed I think.
The problem is that they're kind of deserted when there's nothing happening at the convention centre or skydome.

...well except for the 50,000 people coming in and out of the Rogers Centre. But besides that there is very little pedestrian traffic at all.
There's probably more like 20-30,000 people at your average game. And only a very small percentage of those people are coming SOUTH on john street to get to the dome. And the baseball season is only a few months out of the year. And they only play a certain number of games a month. And only half of those games are at home...

...you see where I'm going with this.

The problem is that they're mostly deserted when there's nothing happening at the convention centre or skydome.
With all the condos going up west of john (apex/matrix, element, fly), plus this building itself, I'm sure a nice little cafe would do well here.

The problem is that they're kind of deserted when there's nothing happening at the convention centre or skydome.

That's not really true. I live in the area and since myself and my girlfriend are on a fixed income the Front st restaurants are the ones we tend to frequent if we want to go out for a meal. There's a large grey area between desserted and 30 minute wait for a table, and these restaurants all fall in that area, most of which closer to being full than completely empty, at least from my experience.

GEI said:
There's probably more like 20-30,000 people at your average game. And only a very small percentage of those people are coming SOUTH on john street to get to the dome. And the baseball season is only a few months out of the year. And they only play a certain number of games a month. And only half of those games are at home...

...you see where I'm going with this.

Why do people need to be only going south at John? can they not access the restaurant or whatever is there from Front St? I'd say it's far more than a small percentage of people who get to the Dome from Front. It's probably more like 50% with the rest coming from the Skywalk, which itself is only a minute walk from the location. So, on event days you can have anywhere from 15-45,000 people walking by the intersection of Front and John. Wouldn't you kill for a business in that location?

Also, the baseball season is 81 games and goes from April to September (and if we're lucky, which we haven't been lately... October). That's half the year. The other half of the year the Leafs and Raptors are playing just up the road, so it's not like the area isn't busy. If it's a good sports bar like the Harbour Grill it'll be packed just about every night of the week, especially since there doesn't need to be an event going on at the Dome for people to want to come in to make use of the satellite TV's picking up events around the world.

So essentially, in the area you have 41 Raptors games, 41 Leafs Games, 81 Jays games, the city's biggest tourist attraction, a convention centre and some condos in a neighbourhood that is growing rapidly. Sounds pretty good to me.

Why do people need to be only going south at John? can they not access the restaurant or whatever is there from Front St?
I was talking about something else... we were discussing having a billboard on the north facing side of this condo which would only be seen by south-bound people on John street.

I agree the area overall is very vibrant, and traffic will only continue to increase.

That's not really true. I live in the area and since myself and my girlfriend are on a fixed income the Front st restaurants are the ones we tend to frequent if we want to go out for a meal. There's a large grey area between desserted and 30 minute wait for a table, and these restaurants all fall in that area, most of which closer to being full than completely empty, at least from my experience.

Which ones are you visiting? The ones at University avenue seem to be doing pretty good business, but the ones at Simcoe don't seem to be busy until Thursday night.

I wouldn't describe Front Street West as vibrant, but it has potential in terms of pedestrian traffic. It deserves way more (and better quailty) retail. The wide convention centre, the wide RBC building, and pathetic podium retail attached to Matrix/Apex aren't helping, nor is the sewage smell, which travels east once in a while.

Hopefully with the north wall they will face it with glass like they did with The Met, which makes it seems like there is open space in behind. No blank walls since it is obvious the north side won't be developed anytime soon (if ever).

I was talking about something else... we were discussing having a billboard on the north facing side of this condo which would only be seen by south-bound people on John street.

I agree the area overall is very vibrant, and traffic will only continue to increase.

CTV thinks there is enough traffic to warrant those large ads surrounding the sub-station. Most likely though it will be blank like the west wall for Element (which is built to the property line meaning no windows allowed).

Sorry about that.

The parking lot that will soon be gone.

2649792817_5f5766e4e9_o.jpg

300 Front Rendering

This is the official rendering for 300 Front St. W.. The building to the rear is a 15 storey loft with an outdoor roof pool, sundeck, waterfall, cabanas and barbecue grill.

Coming off the loft's roof into the tower are the indoor lifestyle amenities including saunas, party room, fitness studio and lounges.

I'll be posting the amenities' renderings soon although you can get a good sneak preview from the Tridel homepage. 300 Front Street West is set to launch in August.

300_front_wlogo_620.jpg

Back