Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Yes, it's part of the design, and purchasers may well find it as part of the model when they show up at the sales centre.

This is just one of those things that often gets edited out renderings in the marketing process. Anyone remember sales pics for the various condos that went in down on the Etobicoke Waterfront? It was like they were surrounded by parkland on all sides save the for the Lake. In reality, that area is now more chock-a-block with buildings than most condo districts in the core.

Marketing wants you to concentrate on the tower. In reality the transformer station will still need to be hidden, so the mini-slab will rise.

My understanding from the last public meeting that there is another condo building on the north side of the site to hide the transformer yard.

The park is also to be a public amenity space owned and maintained by the condo corporation ie. higher maintenance fees!!!.

My understanding based on the the drawings submitted in support of the Rezoning application, the proposal contains residential units in both the tower and slab components in one connected building; in the slab portion (~16 storeys), units will face only to the south while the north facade will basically be a blank wall looking towards the transformer station

Yes but you know it's going to be ad space ;)
i highly doubt that.

even if the condo board allowed it, it's not like theres tons of traffic heading southbound on john street.

and even if they were, i doubt they'd be able to see over the transformer station to the upper levels of the building from inside their cars

It wouldn't be for the cars going down John St. It would be for the traffic (including pedestrians) going south in the general area, as being as tall as 16 floors means they ads don't have to be anywhere near the ground.

Although with it being a condo, you might be right.

What about a space for public art? A large canvas would rotate between pieces every 5 months or so giving many new local artists a free way to showcase their work. It would be super-cheap and we could get some really innovative stuff,

Ain't the Transformer station grand? Can you imagine over-looking that? And, have not the Swedish studies shown that living near extensive electrical wires increases one's chance of cancer....?

Actually, most studies have shown no additional risk of cancer from exposure to low-intensity low-frequency EM fields, such as those generated around high-tension power lines or transformer substations. It appears that the current concerns about elevated cancer risk can be considered an urban legend. (There does seem to be an elevated risk of childhood leukemia according to some studies, but the numbers are low and may be coincidental.) There is also no known mechanism for such EM fields to cause cancer.

Back