News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 587     0 

Portlands Energy Centre

By night

b.jpg

PICT1440.jpg

I totally agree with you. It'd be long term thinking for a power plant in an industrial area (the city's cement campus), so the park wouldn't be that well used at first, but in a few decades when the portlands is built out it could be quite popular.

The power plant will be history by the time development hits this area.

Let me rephrase that. This particular plant will be history. By the time development reaches here they'll be able to put one under a park like one of the previous posts mentioned.

How do you reckon that we will be generating electricity in Toronto by then?

Perhaps the same way we have for the past two decades. By reinforcing the transmission lines to the downtown core so that it is no longer a load pocket.

In this time of rapid change in the energy sector, it's very difficult to predict how we will be generating power twenty years down the line. It's very possible that CC gas turbines like the PEC will fall out of favour very soon due to rapidly rising gas prices.

Perhaps the same way we have for the past two decades. By reinforcing the transmission lines to the downtown core so that it is no longer a load pocket.

In this time of rapid change in the energy sector, it's very difficult to predict how we will be generating power twenty years down the line. It's very possible that CC gas turbines like the PEC will fall out of favour very soon due to rapidly rising gas prices.

Then again, you never know what the future holds:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-12/usgs-gh120903.php

Indeed, just last Wednesday evening I spent a good 25 minutes being quizzed by a polling company on the phone (I live near the Queen E./Pape Ave. area) about various power transmission line options into the Portlands area: via the Don Valley, or through residential areas (buried HV cables), or cables buried in the lake (from nuclear-powered plants elsewhere) making a landfall in the Portlands area. And then on to attitudes to such facilities being built by private/public partnerships vs. being built directly by Ontario Power Generation--who did I trust? Finally, questions about my awareness of power generation and/or transmission plans and alternatives for Toronto, e.g. did I think that conservation could obviate the construction of some of these facilities? What about security of supply? (Toronto apparently only has 3 major hydro supply transmission routes.)

These points were part of the well-argued position of some of the opponents to the PEC: McGuinty was spending money on a basis of short-term fears (e.g. no Premier wants to have brownouts or tranmission systm failures during their term of office), while pushing off much more difficult long-term choices about public investment in energy conservation.

It's so sad to see this city, this province, this country, always taking the apparently easy solutions to energy use ("build more capacity!") or creating economic opportunities ("we have an increasing number of low income people, so let's provide them with rapidly available low-wage retail jobs and the discount shopping they need!").--OK, yes, I'm bitter:(

Indeed, just last Wednesday evening I spent a good 25 minutes being quizzed by a polling company on the phone (I live near the Queen E./Pape Ave. area) about various power transmission line options into the Portlands area: via the Don Valley, or through residential areas (buried HV cables), or cables buried in the lake (from nuclear-powered plants elsewhere) making a landfall in the Portlands area. And then on to attitudes to such facilities being built by private/public partnerships vs. being built directly by Ontario Power Generation--who did I trust? Finally, questions about my awareness of power generation and/or transmission plans and alternatives for Toronto, e.g. did I think that conservation could obviate the construction of some of these facilities? What about security of supply? (Toronto apparently only has 3 major hydro supply transmission routes.)

I remember taking that same survey last Sunday. I was very against running new high-capacity overhead transmission wires. One interesting option for adding capacity was a series of small powerplants in neighbourhoods across the city. That would most likely mean some ugly buildings with smokestacks scattered throughout the city. They would also probably be built lower income neighbourhoods, which would be justified by the new employment they would create. I wasn't in favour of this option either.

I remember taking that same survey last Sunday. I was very against running new high-capacity overhead transmission wires. One interesting option for adding capacity was a series of small powerplants in neighbourhoods across the city. That would most likely mean some ugly buildings with smokestacks scattered throughout the city. They would also probably be built lower income neighbourhoods, which would be justified by the new employment they would create. I wasn't in favour of this option either.

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Does anyone know if 25kV electricity lines used to power electric locomotives can double as generation distribution? If so, it would be a good reason to get electrification of the GO train lines started so that electricity could be conducted from outer GTA to inner GTA without dedicated lines.

Two New Reactors at Darlington

Energy related...

New reactors for Darlington

Jun 16, 2008 10:05 AM
Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Two new nuclear reactors will be built at Darlington by Ontario Power Generation, Energy Minister Gerry Phillips announced this morning.

As widely expected, the publicly owned OPG will construct a new plant east of Toronto in a project that should create about 3,500 direct construction and engineering jobs between 2012 and 2018.

Three firms are bidding to design the power plants: the federally owned Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., which makes the existing Candu reactors; U.S.-based Westinghouse Electric; and Areva of France, the world’s largest nuclear reactor company.

The Liberal government wants nuclear plants to remain the source of half of Ontario’s electricity in coming decades as the province weans itself off heavily polluting coal plants.

Coal-fired plants, which contribute to deadly smog and greenhouse gas emissions, will be phased out in 2014.

Premier Dalton McGuinty has warned Ontarians to brace themselves for cost overruns, as is the norm for nuclear projects in Canada.

“We are determined to keep costs down as much as we can,†McGuinty said last week.

“It’s an expensive proposition, there’s no doubt about that,†he said. “It’s really hard to nail down precise costs today given ... we don’t know what’s going to happen to so many of the costs of so many of the inputs.â€

Experts estimate the cost of a new or refurbished plant at between $8 billion and $15 billion, depending on size.

The province is looking at a two-reactor plant with a total generating capacity of between 2,000 and 3,500 megawatts.

Ontario’s nuclear power plants are notorious for cost overruns in both construction and refurbishment. The current upgrading of two reactors at the Bruce station is running $350 million over budget.

I've been to a website that warned the nuclear project is a bad idea, and pointed at Chernobyl as an example of why it's a bad idea to build something like this so close to a large city.

Does anyone know if 25kV electricity lines used to power electric locomotives can double as generation distribution?

Power is distributed at a much higher voltage then 25KV. Allso, it's AC, while trains, streetcars and subways prefer to operate at about 600VDC.

I've been to a website that warned the nuclear project is a bad idea, and pointed at Chernobyl as an example of why it's a bad idea to build something like this so close to a large city.

I've seen websites that say a $600.00, 8 foot ethernet cable will make your 'internet faster'.

There is more radioactive material spewed into the environment by coal burning plants then any nuclear reactor.

Back