Toronto 1306 The Queensway | 113.3m | 35s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

What is it with developers' obsession with sticking random parks along inhospitable, highway-esque arterial roads in Etobicoke instead of properly urbanizing these spaces?

^I agree; in this case a proper pedestrian plaza would be much more appropriate compared with having some quack "park" fronting the intersection.

I'll also add that the podiums of both towers (the non-swooping sections) are looking pretty damn grim.

What is it with developers' obsession with sticking random parks along inhospitable, highway-esque arterial roads in Etobicoke instead of properly urbanizing these spaces?
Because the parks department wants on site park dedication, and when they get it, they want it on corner sites of major arterials for "visibility and accessibility".

Trust me, the developers would be sticking the parks elsewhere if that wasn't what parks & rec wanted.

Because the parks department wants on site park dedication, and when they get it, they want it on corner sites of major arterials for "visibility and accessibility".

Trust me, the developers would be sticking the parks elsewhere if that wasn't what parks & rec wanted.
We wouldn't build them at all if we didn't have to.

I predict that corner park will get very little use. I kinda wish it was more heavily treed than depicted so at the least the air around here can benefit.

But the open space between the two buildings has the opportunity to become an attractive space and refuge from the surrounding suburban arterial roads.

Final Report to the April 19th mtg of EYCC.

Approval Recommended.

Money for public realm/streetscape and parks improvements secured:

1617716527153.png

Also secured, 12 affordable rental units (20 year guarantee).

A 1575m2 park.

Other relevant stats:

The application proposes a mixed-use development containing 1,018 square metres of retail space at grade and 840 dwelling units. The development would consist of a 10-storey mid-rise building and two towers of 24 and 35-storeys connected via a 8-storey podium. The mid-rise building would have an overall height of 38.5 metres, inclusive of mechanical penthouse. The tower heights would be 81.7 and 113.3 metres, respectively, and the podium would have a height of 26.4 metres. The proposed development would have a total gross floor area of 67,458 square metres, which would result in a Floor Space Index (FSI) of 5.72 times the area of the land.

Report here:

Final Report to the April 19th mtg of EYCC.

Approval Recommended.

Money for public realm/streetscape and parks improvements secured:

View attachment 310763

Also secured, 12 affordable rental units (20 year guarantee).

A 1575m2 park.

Other relevant stats:

The application proposes a mixed-use development containing 1,018 square metres of retail space at grade and 840 dwelling units. The development would consist of a 10-storey mid-rise building and two towers of 24 and 35-storeys connected via a 8-storey podium. The mid-rise building would have an overall height of 38.5 metres, inclusive of mechanical penthouse. The tower heights would be 81.7 and 113.3 metres, respectively, and the podium would have a height of 26.4 metres. The proposed development would have a total gross floor area of 67,458 square metres, which would result in a Floor Space Index (FSI) of 5.72 times the area of the land.

Report here:

Why is the proposed public art to be built at Islington when this project is at Kipling? There's a separate development proposal at Islington and Queensway...

Why is the proposed public art to be built at Islington when this project is at Kipling? There's a separate development proposal at Islington and Queensway...

Good question. I don't have an answer.

The City does off-site parkland, maybe it's getting into off-site public art too!

Really? They're recommending that useless, windsweeped, half a** attempt of a plaza/park at the southern portion of this site?

That's the one part of this proposal that needed to be address significantly, and so far as I see it has not been at all.

Here's the subject property. Formerly an Audi dealership, now operating as a Hyundai dealership.

DJI_0791e.jpg

@interchange42 's latest article discusses the new revisions to this project, including an increase of 4 storeys to the taller south tower.

New (left) vs old rendering comparison:

45161-133893.jpg

Hmm... 12 rental dwelling units as affordable rental housing for a period of 20 years (240 affordable-unit years) from June 2021.

...is now being cut-back to 12 rental dwelling units as affordable rental housing for a period of 15 years (180 affordable-unit years).

Our volunteers will be sending in some questions about that process (& outcome) to Council via Letter.

1643569098618.png

Back