News   May 07, 2024
 470     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 421     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 908     3 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

cool look into the future! I really do hope Ritz will get this clear / silvery glass! And I think Ive finally come to the realiztion that I dont like the CBC building, or atleast it colouring. The red really clashes with some of the surrounding buildings, especially the Metro Hall buildings green glass.

/\ The idea behind CBC is that it would stand out, not blend into its surroundings. Phil Johnson, Barton Myers and Bregman and Hamann Architects took twelve years to plan the building and four to construct it (Cost: 350m$).
The radical insertion of vibrant reds and cool blues provides the streetscape with some life and a pinch of whimsicality.

In some ways, although it's just as ostentatious as TLS, CBC's boisterous nature is tamed by both the surrounding buildings and its relatively low height. I think the colours worked well (you mentioned Metro's green glass) as they have a tendency to radiate and reflect across the glass curtain-walls of surrounding buildings. You also mentioned that you like the silvery nature of the Ritz's glass - just think how amazing CBC will look reflected in that.

yep, good points... I never said I hated it, just that its creating a clash in my mind, especially when seen from this angle. I am eager to get the feel of this section of Wellington Street though once its all complete... there's just something about that block that has always felt very awkward to me.

oh, and Urban Dreamer - I had somehow missed your pics from OCAD - just awesome on a sweet sunny day! The denisy on that lower west side always looks amazing from that angle. And re Mississauga I love seeing it in the distance when heading out of the city on the Gardiner, along with all the other layers of buildings, it floats magically above Sherway Gardens.

yep, good points... I never said I hated it, just that its creating a clash in my mind, especially when seen from this angle. I am eager to get the feel of this section of Wellington Street though once its all complete... there's just something about that block that has always felt very awkward to me.

oh, and Urban Dreamer - I had somehow missed your pics from OCAD - just awesome on a sweet sunny day! The denisy on that lower west side always looks amazing from that angle. And re Mississauga I love seeing it in the distance when heading out of the city on the Gardiner, along with all the other layers of buildings, it floats magically above Sherway Gardens.

'Tis because it IS magical. A faraway (to downtowners anyway) land full of parking lots, parks and shopping malls :)

The idea behind CBC is that it would stand out, not blend into its surroundings. Phil Johnson, Barton Myers and Bregman and Hamann Architects took twelve years to plan the building and four to construct it (Cost: 350m$).The radical insertion of vibrant reds and cool blues provides the streetscape with some life and a pinch of whimsicality.

The massive red/blue/grey grids was a Johnson and Burgee signature element for some of their their buildings- they thought it would minimize size, by incorporating varying sizes of grids into their designs.

412px-Puerta_de_Europa_I_(Madrid)_01.jpg

Puerta de Europa in Madrid is a good example

Anyways, this is about RBC.

Thanks for those.

Man, the glass on Simcoe Place is perfect. It's not all warped like the glass on so many other towers which look like they're clad in carnival funhouse mirrors by comparison.

Thanks for those.

Man, the glass on Simcoe Place is perfect. It's not all warped like the glass on so many other towers which look like they're clad in carnival funhouse mirrors by comparison.

If only it had been taller! It's one of my fav Toronto skyscrapers.

Nice, thanks. Looks like the podium section is almost half done (in terms of floors poured). Finishing off the 5th floor. Tower is on 23rd floor, 20ish more to go. Can't wait for the podium building will start to see glass installed.

Back