Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

I just found it to be too small. The seats were cramped and close together without sightline seating. It was like being in a pre-1998 theatre.

Trying to get in and out of the rows to the washroom or exit was not fun. It was not made with todays films in mind.

I saw Dunkirk there a couple years back and it was probably the best movie-going experience of my life.

I just found it to be too small. The seats were cramped and close together without sightline seating. It was like being in a pre-1998 theatre.

Trying to get in and out of the rows to the washroom or exit was not fun. It was not made with todays films in mind.

Relatively easy solutions to that - just re-seat the Cinesphere and add additional aisles.

AoD

I saw Dunkirk there a couple years back and it was probably the best movie-going experience of my life.
I saw the 2 ¼ hour long Speed Racer there last summer. The sound and projection and seats, which were all upgraded a couple of years ago, were great. Feature length "classic" movies continue to be shown at the Cinesphere every weekend despite the distance to the aisles (which is the only real problem there), and as they often pick blockbusters to show on that immense screen that younger audiences may never have seen, they do get a pretty good 20-something crowd going out to the shows. (My nephew's become a fan of the Cinepshere because of that.) They're showing Halloween tomorrow night (smart), and following it up with these films on coming weekends: Back To The Future, Blade Runner (The Final Cut - so must see), Back To The Future II, Blade Runner 2049, Gremlins, Apocalypse Now (the new Final Cut, so I'm hoping to see that), and then around Christmas time, Scrooged, Love Actually, Labyrinth, and E.T. It's all good-time programming, and if you haven't been in a few years it's worth checking out again.

http://ontarioplace.com/en/Cinesphere/

Agree with the just update the Cinesphere comments.

But that idea of a Museum of Film is something that should be played around with. It could help anchor this area, while having the Cinesphere be the epicentre of that experience. Not to mention it would safeguard the Cinesphere from potential demolition by uncultured provincial governments.

I don't think there are that many Museum of Films out there internationally, and certainly not one in this region that I know of. That could be an opportunity to create another unique tourism draw (re: thread whether Toronto has enough tourism pull) in a city where the film industry is a significant part of our economy.

From link.

How film projection got so complicated — and how it can make or break your movie experience

From 35mm to 3D IMAX, the history of movies is a history of film technology.

film-formats1.0.jpg

From link.

Bel._Cinerama_scherm_wit_gemaakt_1.jpg

How_Cinerama_is_projected.gif

Blame television.

The National Science and Media Museum in Bradford UK (formerly The National Museum of Photography, Film & Television) is pretty great, not least as the first time that I experienced IMAX. it would be cool to have something like that!
AmJ

But that idea of a Museum of Film is something that should be played around with. It could help anchor this area, while having the Cinesphere be the epicentre of that experience. Not to mention it would safeguard the Cinesphere from potential demolition by uncultured provincial governments.

I don't think there are that many Museum of Films out there internationally, and certainly not one in this region that I know of. That could be an opportunity to create another unique tourism draw (re: thread whether Toronto has enough tourism pull) in a city where the film industry is a significant part of our economy.

I thought it would have been a good place for TIFF if that ship haven't sailed long ago. The pods would have made excellent galleries, and you could have added a few smaller spheres as theatres?

AoD

I would have loved to see TIFF save one of the old cinemas, and then do a modern addition for additional screens/office space. I know what was seriously discussed at the Uptown site, but didn't come to pass.......

I would have loved to see TIFF save one of the old cinemas, and then do a modern addition for additional screens/office space. I know what was seriously discussed at the Uptown site, but didn't come to pass.......

The problem with the Cinesphere is that it is in the middle of nowhere. It is hard to get to without a car making it less than ideal for a museum.

However, it would be nice to move the National Film Board there and turn it into a functional museum.

I've always liked the idea of moving the Science Centre to Ontario Place. It just makes perfect sense. It's where tourists are located and it would give it a year round purpose, bringing people to the area who would then frequent other nearby businesses and become a catalyst for its growth.

Moving the Metro Convention Centre to Exhibition Place is less desirable because of the MTCC's existing perfect location, although it's not a terrible idea as it'd serve as a big draw to the area. A waterpark and a real urban beach in a harbour at Ontario Place is another great draw, though only during the summer.

Finally, I love how the Cinesphere is becoming a niche movie theatre for viewing cinema classics. Keep it going that way. Perhaps enhance it with exhibits on filmmakers or other themes with props from the films that are showing, on display in the pods. TIFF is great where it is on King and John but I wouldn't be opposed to a partnership where the Cinesphere and the pods become an offsite TIFF location.

The problem with the Cinesphere is that it is in the middle of nowhere. It is hard to get to without a car making it less than ideal for a museum.

However, it would be nice to move the National Film Board there and turn it into a functional museum.

It's really easy to get to by bike. Just hop on the Martin Goodman Trail. Also, Exhibition Station is within walking distance for frequent GO and light rail connections.

Back