News   May 06, 2024
 507     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 688     1 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

This just gets freakin' better and better!!!!

Please....please...please lets get some streetscaping for the area.

That seems like an excellent issue for the local councillor to take up. Any Adam Vaughan constituents want to write a letter?

The glass lip is coming, but there's all kinds of work that needs to be done first to build the support structure for it

looking good..
I gotta say Dundas has the WORST streetscape elements of any of our downtown major streets... .especially by the police station just east of AGO.. its so barren.... and cluttered.. I hope they do something about it

From The AGO Webcam:

agoagain.jpg

It looks as though the installation of glass on the Gallery Italia is nearly finished. Huzzah!

The impression you get when arriving from either side of Dundas is one of awe . Looks incredible and the hoarding isnt even gone yet.

I was looking at the bright blue titanium panels today, and I'm totally not liking them. I was hoping that their colour would look better in person vs. the pictures posted in this thread. The color looks much like the color of the blue insulation panels on the south side. I'm guessing they won't be oxidizing to the colour in the official plans?

I think he meant the actual gallery. It's now completely enclosed. The "flip" parts, or the "curls" as I call them, are purely esthetic items.

They'll probably begin all the interior wood work in Galeria Italia now that the inside is no longer exposed to the elements.

Actually the west side is still open to the elements but can' t imagine it taking long to finish that little bit.

Behind all the tarps the box is also all closed in now, other than some of the glass and cladding on the stairs themselves. And the fourth and fifth floors have been turned over to the AGO for tenant outfit. A lot of tenant work has already been done through the rest of the building too, light fixtures and doors and tiling and such.

The earthquake motif of the titanium panels has been carried through much of the rest of the building, like the granite used in the main entrance, the concrete floors in the tower (yes, start complaining now, the addition has finished concrete floors), and even the wall tiles in the bathrooms. The stacked-box (for lack of a better term) motif also gets heavy play.

edit: And you can only just make it out on the webcam, but the steel for the glass lip at the bottom of the Galleria is going up.

It is logical to have a different palette of materials, such as concrete flooring, in the new galleries for contemporary art since it is an entirely new wing designed to showcase that part of the AGO's collection. Most of the rest of Gehry's design is a reno surrounding and linked to the old neo-Classical Walker Court, where more traditional materials such as white oak flooring and stone are a more logical fit. Libeskind does a similar thing with RenROM, where white oak flooring is used in the older wings and the Crystal has a different palette of finishes.

March 22

From Grange Park.
2355321250_c6e5f94ce2_b.jpg

2355321258_83e4a735d9_b.jpg

Installation of the main section of glass is completed.
2355321292_dfab0416f1_b.jpg

More steel being installed on the Dundas side.
2355321300_93e7e11c61_b.jpg

2355321310_c3bc7de95a_b.jpg

2355374386_3f7f112c7f_b.jpg

Dundas and McCaul.
2355374392_d501aa3792_b.jpg

Ditto on the blue colour. It's very vibrant, I think it'll look attractive in any weather.

Back