Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Like the revamped Barbara Ann Scott park, next to Aura, there is a total lack of shelter to shield scorching sun, rain and snow. I think more seating with awnings or overhangs are needed. The design is... Meh.

Like the revamped Barbara Ann Scott park, next to Aura, there is a total lack of shelter to shield scorching sun, rain and snow. I think more seating with awnings or overhangs are needed. The design is... Meh.

You don't need awnings to incorporate shade in a park. That's what trees are for. Unfortunately, they left out the trees because the budget won't allow for enough reinforcement of the parking garage roof.

Write/tweet/call Joe Cressy, or better, since Joe won't reply to your calls or emails, try Kristyn Wong Tam who's been leading on this project and I believe is still involved even though it's no longer in her ward. Also tweet @ Adam Vaughan. He was very receptive to getting input about this project and is going to get federal funding and would most likely be able to get enough of a funding boost to reinforce the garage and add the trees.

Unfortunately, I understand this to be a done deal.

Feels like a failure in the design process. It's not impossible to have a more experienced architect work in conjunction with native groups to develop a design that works well with the rest of the square. Isn't this a process going on at OCAD, with Two Row Architecture and some native community groups working with Morphosis et. al?

Actually, why not invite Douglas Cardinal to design this garden? Even getting PLANT in as an architect of record could allow suggestions to be made, in integrating the designs better.

Regardless, it's not particularly surprising, as John Tory and this current city council has paid particularly little attention to the square- allowing elements like this to creep up through the middle. Meanwhile the rest of the square is rather worn-out, even the newly renovated parts. Really a shame, as this is the main civic space of the city.

The blue ribbon and the walkways themselves are supposed to represent a wampum belt. Indigenous peoples used wampum belts to record history/agreements with settlers. There is a point to the bright colour/contrast, though I agree that this element could be incorporated into the overall design differently. The north and south sections of the Square here should compliment each other, rather than feeling like entirely different sections.

It would honestly be better to literally represent the wampum belt as inlaid blue glass tiles following a pattern like this around the turtle:

SF_Merrickville_Wampum_Belt_0607_Super_Portrait.jpg

The current design does not particularily scream 'wampum belt' to me- and to the average layperson, they won't understand either.

Last edited:
Tender call just posted:

bnr-profserv2.jpg

Summary Notice and Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Call number:Doc1878555097
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:Nathan Phillips Square Indian Residential School Survivors Restoration of Identity Project
Multi-Disciplined Professional Services for the Nathan Phillips Square Indian Residential School Survivors Restoration of Identity Project

Doc1878555097

http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/7091687
Issue date:August 1, 2019
ecblank.gif
Closing date:August 30, 2019
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment
pdf.gif
Doc1878555097 RFP 3727-19-7017 - Summary Notice_intended_procurement.pdf (72 Kbytes) - Posted on 08/01/2019 09:32:20 AM
pdf.gif
Doc1878555097 RFP 3727-19-7017 - Notice_intended_procurement.pdf(77 Kbytes) - Posted on 08/01/2019 09:32:33 AM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename, then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").Get Acrobat
Buyer:Ebrahimi, Shakila
ecblank.gif
Phone number:392-6054
Email:Shakila.Ebrahimi@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Real Estate Services
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
Security deposit:No
Non-refundable document fee:
$0.00
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Scope of work:
Doc1878555097
http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/7091687
(RFP 3727-19-7017)

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified prime Proponent to provide and carry out multi-discipline engineering services including architectural, structural, landscaping, mechanical, electrical and civil for the implementation of the IRSS Restoration of Identity project in the south west quadrant of Nathan Phillips Square located at Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, Toronto as required by the City’s Corporate Real Estate Management

bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number:DOC1896556774
Commodity:Professional Services, Special Events
Description:REBUILDING AND MAINTENANCE OF A REPLICA TORONTO SIGN
Bids Are Requested for: Professional Services for Rebuilding and Maintenance of a Replica Toronto Sign.
Issue date:September 5, 2019
ecblank.gif
Closing date:October 8, 2019
at 12:00 Noon

Any tender calls for the decrepit, grass-less welcome mat on Queen? When the basics cannot even be maintained, I'm wary of projects like the one above.

The decrepit, grass-less welcome mat on Queen wasn't supposed to be there anymore with the revitalization***. Sigh.

*** in the original, unwatered down version. Anyways, I don't see the failure of that being an rationale for not moving on the Toronto sign. I do regret that they are going to dilute the purity of the original design permanently however. Hopefully they could do better than the maple leaf in suspenders - which looks cheapo as hell.

AoD

*** in the original, unwatered down version. Anyways, I don't see the failure of that being an rationale for not moving on the Toronto sign. I do regret that they are going to dilute the purity of the original design permanently however. Hopefully they could do better than the maple leaf in suspenders - which looks cheapo as hell.

AoD
Agreed. I was referring to the more ambitious new Identity Project for the south west part of the square.

I don't understand why we need the TORONTO sign. Do people not know which city they're in?!
If any of you respond with the word Instagram, I swear my head will explode.

I don't understand why we need the TORONTO sign. Do people not know which city they're in?!
If any of you respond with the word Instagram, I swear my head will explode.

It's a popular tourist attraction. Why is so hard to understand about wanting to keeping that momentum going?

It's a popular tourist attraction. Why is so hard to understand about wanting to keeping that momentum going?

Don’t get me wrong, I do think that it is gimmicky and not entirely original - but it worked remarkably well and it does look great, so why not? We had hit the sweet spot in a way other previous marketing campaigns for the city couldn’t.

AoD

Back