Toronto The United BLDG | 179.52m | 52s | Davpart | B+H

I rent office space in a Davpart building and I didn't think they would actually get into the development business and go ahead with this. Looking forward to it.

An entrance to the St. Patrick subway station will be incorporated into the building, which will also eventually be connected to the city’s underground PATH system.

Well now, isn't that an ambitious thought.

If the hospitals open up their connections; if that's contemplated by the Sick Kids proposal, I could see a connection from the north within a decade.

But to go south would require several expensive redevelopments and access through the new court complex (unless the entire eastern side University comes down from Dundas to Armoury) and the on to City Hall with is mediocre through the parking garage connnection.

Alternatively, going east to Atrium on Bay would envision several blocks of redevelopment as well.

Those east redevelopments may just happen. I know the block immediately east of here has been considered (somehow, given the existing densities and height restrictions from the city hall view corridor), and past that is the bus terminal which is going to be redeveloped once the buses move down to Union.

Toronto’s United Building to preserve heritage exteriors
The project, which is still in the design stage, was announced April 4. Construction is targeted to start in March 2020 and finish in 2024 or 2025.

210 dundas.jpg

DAVPART — The United Building project will include preservation of the facade of the heritage building at 210 Dundas St. in Toronto.

B+H Architects is working as the prime consultant and design architect and ERA Architects is the heritage consultant. B+H principal Mark Berest explained recently the two heritage buildings were designated as requiring preservation by the city’s heritage preservation services, leaving the project team with the tough decision of how much to keep and how much to demolish.

“We really looked hard and with ERA we talked about it with the heritage preservation service,” Berest explained about the decision on the interiors. “But one was built in the 1920s and one in the early 1960s and in both cases they have been gutted and redesigned a dozen times. The elevators are different, the finishes different, all the other partitions are different.”

Both have stone on the exterior, probably limestone in both cases, but Berest said that has not yet been confirmed.

More..... https://canada.constructconnect.com...s-united-building-preserve-heritage-exteriors

Now 52 storeys, one of the podium levels has been eliminated, tower is six metres shorter, three levels of parking now vs the original five.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.52.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.52.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.52.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.53.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.53.24 AM.png

This building is supposedly connected to St.Patrick's TTC station. But does anyone know of plans for it to be connected to The Path at any point in the future?

This building is supposedly connected to St.Patrick's TTC station. But does anyone know of plans for it to be connected to The Path at any point in the future?
Given there's no PATH connections within 2-3 blocks of St. Patrick I'd say odds are about 0. At most I could see it maybe connecting to the Hospital network to the north but I haven't read any plans of that...

Interview with David Hofstedter, mentioning the acquisition of 481 Uni Ave:

MG: Do you have a real estate property that got away?

DH:
There was something that was disappointing at the time but was very fortuitous.

My parents came to Toronto penniless. And my father founded a real estate company here. When I was a kid, in 1967, with some partners, he assembled a block of land on the northwest corner of Yonge and Eglinton streets. It was the largest mixed-use development in Canada at the time. I was fascinated with that as a kid. About 12 years ago or so, that property came on the market. I wanted to acquire it. Because I saw the potential, not just because of the history. I lost out.

Shortly thereafter, 481 University [also called The United Building] came on the market and it felt magical. It’s in the heart of the city, connected to the subway. It’s right by the opera house, near the retail hub of Eaton Centre. It has great architecture and had housed a huge publishing house. It comprises a full city block but was underutilized.

Losing the other one enabled me to get this one.

Interesting, is the Yonge-Eglinton property mentioned the Yonge Eglinton Centre?

I believe it is. RioCan moved their headquarters to the Yonge Eg Centre and began plans for upgrading in 2007, so the time frame aligns with what's mentioned in the interview.

Davpart now owns the SE corner though which they acquired at a later date, currently the 1 Eglinton East project.

Last edited:
Believe construction is scheduled for April.
Wonder if the bottom floor already has confirmed agreements with specific retailers yet.

Back