News   Apr 19, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 909     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

TTC: Automated stop and station announcements

... I am the BETTY 9000 computer. I became operational at the BETTY plant in Urbana, Illinois, on January 12th 2007. My first instructor was Mr. Arkany. He taught me to sing a song ... it goes like this ... "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm ... half ... cray ... zeee ..."

BETTY my foot. I'd like to have the stop announcements done by Droopy

It also happened to me today. Some time ago, there was also a problem that immediately after the announcement for Lansdowne came "Next stop Spadina..." which is even more surprising. The Museum Station bug is interesting seeing as Bay Lower is actually in that direction. I wonder if that announcement is programmed.

<pedant>

You can't access lower Bay from St. George on a southbound YUS train. Only when you're on a northbound train from Museum.

</pedant>

had this happen to me today as well going southbound on the YUS line. just before arriving at rosedale she called out, "the next station is summer hill, summer hill station." which quickly followed by, "arriving at rosedale, rosedale station."

That is not strictly accurate. The subway stop-announcement ruling stated that TTC must train its staff on:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onhrt/doc/2005/2005hrto20/2005hrto20.html

The exact wording was given by example, not imposed.

hmmm- i can see some leeway is being given on wording, but to this non-legal-beagle (more like poodle) it appears to impose two distinct announcements

c. the need to call out each subway stop twice, first when leaving the previous station (e.g. “Bloor leaving Bloor stationâ€), and again, when arriving at the next stop (e.g. “St. George arriving at St. George stationâ€);

...a legal-rotweiler can probably be found should we "remain seized" of the necessity to define this... but it's seemingly moot now

I've been on a few southbound YUS trains departing St. George which declare "Next station Museum. Museum station. Next station Bay. Bay station."

Happened to me. I pulled out my noise-cancelling headphones and listened. It actually went like this:

"The next station is Museum. Museum Stay-shon. The next station is Bay. Bay Stay-shon. [brief pause] The next station is Museum. Museum Stay-shon."

had this happen to me today as well going southbound on the YUS line. just before arriving at rosedale she called out, "the next station is summer hill, summer hill station." which quickly followed by, "arriving at rosedale, rosedale station."

:D I swear the distance between the end of Rosedale Stn and the beginning of the Summerhill tunnel is little more than the length of a standard six-car train. I seriously doubt either station would exist by our nowadays, kilometre apart/only if crash-flooded by adjacent condos, style of subway building.

Betty has been behaving herself in a ladylike manner of late.

But last night, when I was heading east on the 504, she suddenly blurted out, "Local one stop announcement" at the intersection of King and Church.

Then she recovered herself, and was fine all the way to Riverdale.

But last night, when I was heading east on the 504, she suddenly blurted out, "Local one stop announcement" at the intersection of King and Church.

That's typically when the operator changes the stop pattern that the system will be announcing. This happens a lot on the 510 when the operator forgets to switch between the King and Union routings (i.e., south of Queen, King branch announces "Oxley Street" while Union branch announces "King Street East".)

Do any of the new Orion Next generation Buses have the stop announcement system yet?

Some of the drivers of the new buses have memorized stop announcements on their routes so that they can call out all the stops. It's nice to hear human drivers on my route call out "Sandhurst Circle South", "South Side Stop... Finch Avenue East" and "3007 McCowan Road".

Betty has been behaving herself in a ladylike manner of late.

Then she recovered herself, and was fine all the way to Riverdale.

Yeah, it must annoy Archie a whole lot when she does that
betty.jpg

Back