299     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1K     1 

Pilots landing in GTA report blinding lasers

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
didn't know that this was a big problem in toronto. maybe it's time for filtered glass.

------------------------------
TheStar.com - GTA - Pilots landing in GTA report blinding lasers
Beams target cockpits in at least five incidents
March 05, 2008
Brett Popplewell
Staff Reporter

At least five pilots attempting to land at airports in the GTA have complained to Transport Canada about someone on the ground shining a laser at their planes, penetrating the cockpit window and flashing the pilots in the eye.

Transport Canada's civil aviation reports indicate the incidents are occurring with an increasingly alarming frequency in the GTA and Ontario. Deborah Baxter, a spokesperson with Transport Canada, says there have been 11 incidents reported in Ontario since last March but expects many more have gone unreported.

The safety risk is obvious. A laser flashing a pilot's eye can distract – or even worse – temporarily blind a pilot, or cause long-term damage to their retinas.

In the GTA incidents, the laser pointers seem to be shining from around the city – most recently on Feb. 21, when a cargo plane and a charter plane both reported a laser had been shone into their cockpits by someone standing near a highway in Vaughan.

A similar incident occurred Jan. 7, when an Air Canada Jazz pilot was beamed from more than 5 kilometres away from Pearson International Airport.

On May 11, another passenger jet reported a green light was being shone into the cockpit from the vicinity of Leslie St. and Lawrence Ave. E. in Toronto. In an October 2007 incident, a police helicopter flying over York Region was targeted while on a routine flight.

In each incident, police were informed and investigations ensued. But as yet, Transport Canada indicates there have been no arrests of individuals in the GTA, although a 16-year-old was caught but not charged.

However, Const. Wayne Patterson of Peel Regional Police, the force responsible for security around Pearson airport, said police could lay a charge of mischief – a criminal offence – against the perpetrators.

Baxter says the risk involved is enough to warrant police involvement. "Transport Canada is very concerned about the increasing frequency of laser-related incidents, whether they are directed at aircraft, cars, trucks, boats or trains," Baxter said.

Capt. Stephen Guetta, a pilot with Air Canada for 20 years, says he can't imagine what kind of person would knowingly try to blind a pilot on a landing approach over a bustling city like Toronto.

He says pilots generally rely on their instruments to navigate a plane toward a runway until they are within sight of the landing strip.

"The threat (from a laser pointer) is probably greatest when that airplane is a quarter to a half-mile from the threshold of the runway – when you're in the final 10 to 12 seconds prior to touchdown," Guetta said. "That's the highest risk, when you're moving from your instruments to looking outside. Trying to get your depth of perception. So you can imagine the danger of blinding a pilot at that point ... The pilot has very little time to react."

The long-term damage to a pilot is also troubling. In cases reported in B.C. and the U.S., pilots have been grounded permanently and had their wings taken away from them after lasers caused irreparable damage to their retinas.

Steve Lott, a spokesperson for the International Air Transport Association, a Montreal-based group representing 240 airlines, suggests the lasers being shone at airplanes involve more powerful lasers than the average laser pointer used in boardroom presentations.

High-powered telescopic lasers, the type used by astronomers to map out stars and by snipers to pinpoint distant targets, are much more powerful than the average handheld laser and would have a greater reach into the cockpit of a far-off plane.

"The most crucial parts of any flight are the takeoff and landing," Lott said.

"This is certainly not a game, whether it's kids playing a game or anything else."

This kind of random act can't be policed.

The perps do their thing and pocket the laser and ride home on their BMX bikes

It is hard, but not impossible - create a different criminal category - and allow sever punishment if caught - even if the judge wants to lower it for juveniles - they should get assigned community work (and lots of it) maybe an average of school + 10 hours/day for 2 years - or more if it is a dropout. I prefer just sending them to Baffin Island Penal Colony :eek:

Just yet another example of suburbanites with too much time on their hands and listening to too much rap "music."

Just yet another example of suburbanites with too much time on their hands and listening to too much rap "music."

What blatant, unproven accusations. As someone who was a suburbanite kid who listened to hip hop/rap and was a BMX rider (and still am pretty much), I take objection to these statements. I never thought of doing such a stupid thing nor did many of my friends who fit the same profile. Whoever is doing these offenses could be anyone from anywhere.

It is hard, but not impossible - create a different criminal category - and allow sever punishment if caught - even if the judge wants to lower it for juveniles - they should get assigned community work (and lots of it) maybe an average of school + 10 hours/day for 2 years - or more if it is a dropout. I prefer just sending them to Baffin Island Penal Colony :eek:

The thing is, it's extremely unlikely that these people will ever get caught. And even if some do, it's not going to stop them from doing it before they get caught. In Singapore, the minimum penalty for drug possession is death, yet people still do drugs all the time. The deterrent effect of tough sentencing is pretty minimal. Otherwise, why would the only western country with a death penalty have by far the highest murder rate?

Doady, coming from someone who's always on the lookout for discrimination, that's a pretty discriminatory comment.

What blatant, unproven accusations. As someone who was a suburbanite kid who listened to hip hop/rap and was a BMX rider (and still am pretty much), I take objection to these statements. I never thought of doing such a stupid thing nor did many of my friends who fit the same profile. Whoever is doing these offenses could be anyone from anywhere.
Calm the hell down and stop freaking out about nothing. Just because you and your friends were responsible, doesn't mean everyone is. They were saying that some suburban kids do this because there is nothing to do. Not "every suburban kid is a hellion". Even if he did, you realistically have no reason to be offended because it's not like they're slandering your good name or anything.

In conclusion, stop looking for attention.

^ Looking for attention? I'm just stating how I feel. You even said it was a discriminatory comment. I know there was no personal slandering going on, they don't even know me. It's just a coincidence that two separate generalizations combined describe me.

Seriously, I've never actually had problems with people who listen to rap. I hav eno problem with them. Actually, in my experience, all of the people who randomly do start shit with strangers (including with me, on several occasions) just for kicks are the ones who listen to techno in their overly-loud, modified Honda Civic, so this is most likely the type that is blinding the pilots for fun.

The thing is, it's extremely unlikely that these people will ever get caught. And even if some do, it's not going to stop them from doing it before they get caught. In Singapore, the minimum penalty for drug possession is death, yet people still do drugs all the time. The deterrent effect of tough sentencing is pretty minimal. Otherwise, why would the only western country with a death penalty have by far the highest murder rate?

Should nothing be done about it then?

Absolutely. The crimes should be investigated, and if caught they should be charged. I'm simply saying that more investigation is a much better solution to the problem than just constantly ramping up sentencing. Leaving aside the moral point of whether someone's life should be ruined because they did something really stupid when they were 16.

You don't need to bring rap into it--just invoke something like this
jimbo_jones.jpg

I’ve been reading this lasers at pilots article.

33 incidents across Canada since 2005.

It’s 2008 now. So basically, 11 incidents a year on average. ACROSS Canada. And none of them here at Pearson, the biggest airport. What a non-story. I wonder if Mackay was trying to drum up a new fear politics issue.

I’ve been reading this lasers at pilots article.

33 incidents across Canada since 2005.

It’s 2008 now. So basically, 11 incidents a year on average. ACROSS Canada. And none of them here at Pearson, the biggest airport. What a non-story. I wonder if Mackay was trying to drum up a new fear politics issue.

Stop stereotyping rightwing, suburban, angry, white sons-of-privilege as fearmongers!:p

BTW, I was stupid enough in my adolescence to pull a dangerous stunt like lasering a plane. Many of my peers, too -- and some of us were supposedly "gifted" ...

Back