News   May 15, 2024
 80     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

The least unfair model is a runoff debate. If there are 2 front runners and a peleton of 3-5 chasers, have a preliminary debate with just the second tier. The “winner” by some subjective measure then gets invited to the big table.

And how on earth do you get anyone interested to watch that debate?

The least unfair model is a runoff debate. If there are 2 front runners and a peleton of 3-5 chasers, have a preliminary debate with just the second tier. The “winner” by some subjective measure then gets invited to the big table.

Seems like a reasonable way of going about it.

if someone is polling at 96%, you live in a tin pot dictatorship (or Brampton circa Hazel McCallion :) )

Curious though if Keesmaat didn't enter it'd effectively be just John Tory, likely polling extremely high since there's virtually no name recognition for any other candidates. Wonder how the debates were to have worked in that scenario.

It felt like Sarah Climenhaga was the nominal best challenger, and probably would have been polling in the high single digits or low 10's at least. Keesmaat took all of her oxygen. Its tough to say because the summer Ward turmoil really stopped anyone from building any kind of momentum.

I can't help but feel that there are a lot of 'closet' Goldy supporters, which will get her as high as 4 or 5% on election day. A lot of her support will come from Ford Nation, who may not agree with her far-right views, but still want to 'own the Libs.'

I can't help but feel that there are a lot of 'closet' Goldy supporters, which will get her as high as 4 or 5% on election day. A lot of her support will come from Ford Nation, who may not agree with her far-right views, but still want to 'own the Libs.'

I agree that she could get 5% and above, there are a lot of people for whom Nick Kouvalis isn't hateful enough.

I don't think this would have happened if we'd have had a normal election. Three weeks to go and he has a big lead so he can afford not to debate her. As a voter, I think it really sucks and I think he's going to come across as a coward for avoiding her.
Indeed, the very last paragraph of the article:
[In 2014, Tory and then mayoral candidate Doug Ford sparred over debate participation. After Ford pulled out of a debate a month before election day, Tory said he was “a guy who doesn't think he has to earn this job by showing up at the debates and actually standing with the other candidates and answering questions.”]

Given enough time, this would sink him, but with the few weeks left? I dunno...it will certainly tighten the race, whether he goes down over it remains to be seen.

TORONTO ELECTION
CBC scraps mayoral debate after John Tory refuses to face Jennifer Keesmaat one-on-one

Whoa...just got in, saw this headline. No matter what the details, this is dynamite...

Somehow he feels the need to be an insecure coward despite having the incumbency advantage and a big lead in the polls with little time left. This election has already suffered greatly from lack of new ideas and attention to local issues thanks to Doug Ford's meddling. Yet Tory will happily let it degrade even further under the dishonest guise of inclusivity (formerly: "scheduling conflicts"), so that he doesn't have to defend his record or his vapid, non-existent vision for the city.

Hazel McCallion didn’t campaign. Did she debate? Maybe Tory is taking a page out of her playbook.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that's *not* the case. In fact, just as Rob Ford foreshadowed Trump populism and whatever else, I wouldn't be surprised if an underwhelming Faith Goldy result lays bare the comment-thread-spam lie behind the so-called rise of the far right--that is, a step too far. And already, Sun Media comment threads are looking more laughable than frightening for all their Faith Goldy astroturfing...

Back