News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 954     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I would be stunned if more than two or three MPPs (likely backbenchers) in the PC caucus vote against the bill. There needs to be roughly 12 votes against in his caucus for the bill to fail.

Yes, it's a "free vote," but to get in the good graces of Ford, and try and get plum committee, parliamentary assistant and cabinet roles, you have to fall in line, especially this soon following an election.

Just make a list of the brown-nosers and publish widely.

Well I received one reply:

Thank you for your email - we appreciate all your feedback and comments. MPP Roman Baber supports the Premier in his decision to exercise Ontario’s Constitutional right to invoke s.33 of the Charter. The drafters of the Charter purposely inserted s.33 to enable a Provincial Legislature to override Court decisions when the matter is of significance to a provincial government. The governance of the City of Toronto is one of our government’s top priorities. Use of s. 33 will save the Better Local Government Act, which was passed in August by Ontario’s democratically elected Legislature.

The Bill will end the gridlock and delay on City Council, allowing us to build transit, fix housing and reduce crime. We believe that it is time to get Toronto back on track.

I am sincerely grateful for your email.

Yours very truly,

Karina Davydova

Constituency Assistant to MPP Roman Baber

York Centre

539 Wilson Heights Boulevard

North York, Ontario M3H 2V7

Tel #: 416-630-0080

Fax #: 416-630-8828

I don't understand why 25 councilors will get things done faster or more efficiently that 40-odd. Surely the 25 can hold up debate as much as before?
I don't understand how 44 councillors are holding up things. Ford complained it could take up to 10 hours for council to pass something.

It took him 15 days to pass the first version of this act, and who knows how long the second version will take.

You'd think the legislature would have better things to do. They've only passed two things since elected. The other was a cookie-cutter back-to-work legislation for York Unionversity.

Maybe Ford should take some lessons from the City and apply them to the clearly inefficient legislature!

I don't understand how 44 councillors are holding up things. Ford complained it could take up to 10 hours for council to pass something.

It took him 15 days to pass the first version of this act, and who knows how long the second version will take.

You'd think the legislature would have better things to do. They've only passed two things since elected. The other was a cookie-cutter back-to-work legislation for York Unionversity.

Maybe Ford should take some lessons from the City and apply them to the clearly inefficient legislature!
I think Ford was frustrated by the lack of strong mayoral system and the need to build consensus at city hall. A majority premiership at Queen's Park, where he can do whatever he wants without seeking approval, suits his personality far more. At least until his party members begin to see cracks in the foundations and toss him.

Nice to see Bill Davis pointing out how Doug Ford is wrong about how the notwithstanding clause should be used.

How long before Doug Ford says he knows more about the Charter of Rights that Bill Davis helped write than Bill Davis does?

With Brian Mulroney also attacking this usage, it's hard to see how any real PCs can support this.

Former Ontario premier Bill Davis: Ford wrong to use notwithstanding clause

Give him a chance. In 4 years you're not gonna recognize this province by the time he's done with it.

Nice to see Bill Davis pointing out how Doug Ford is wrong about how the notwithstanding clause should be used.

How long before Doug Ford says he knows more about the Charter of Rights that Bill Davis helped write than Bill Davis does?

With Brian Mulroney also attacking this usage, it's hard to see how any real PCs can support this.

Former Ontario premier Bill Davis: Ford wrong to use notwithstanding clause

"Real" PC's unfortunately are in short supply these days. The populists have hijacked the party quite some time ago.

It's a shame because Patrick Brown's People's Guarantee was actually a reasonable platform.

Give him a chance. In 4 years you're not gonna recognize this province by the time he's done with it.
I agree. For good or bad, it's going to look a whole lot different.

Next on the agenda will be council trimming in Ottawa, and then the amalgamation of Brampton and Mississauga into one Megacity, Bramla'sauga.

peel-region-map.jpg

Nobody wants to buy Rob Ford's old house.

See link.

A modest three-bedroom bungalow owned by the late former Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford can be yours, potential home buyers, for just $2.5 million.

So why don't any of you want it?

At the end of July, when the property at 223 Edenbridge Drive first went up for sale, real-estate agent Mike Donia noted that it was already attracting "a fair amount of interest" on account of the fact that, you know, RoFo lived there.

More than two months later, however, the house remains untouched — an official for sale sign (as opposed to the hand made version erected in June) still swings on Ford's once bustling front lawn...

Toronto's first mayor, William Lyon Mackenzie, has his house as a historical museum.

Mackenzie House See link.
8e84-Mackenzie-House-banner.png

Visitors to Mackenzie House can step back in time in the recreated 19th century print shop.

Maybe Ford Nation should buy Rob Ford's and give it to the city as a "historical museum". Maybe have actors recreating "scenes" from Rob's life in the house.

On second thought, maybe they better leave out those scenes. lol

Back