News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 450     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

I hope that Will Alsop doesn't leave town without developing a building for OCAD on the SE corner of Dundas + McCaul. That whole block fronting Dundas is ripe for redevelopment.

Agreed. I've always hated that little stretch of 2 story houses. It kills any sense of streetwall and underwhelms a corner which should prepare you for the fantastic AGO.

Ideally, that whole row of houses would be eliminated continuing the wide sidewalk which begins on University and extends passed the Police station. An Alsop addition could hover over this new space leading you to the AGO at the corner.

Speaking of the Police Station. It looks like they built that "parkette" with the intention of parking police cruisers there in disguise as a community space. When they were forced to remove the cruisers, the whole space just sat dead.

Somebody really needs to redevelop that parkette.

I drop by the site every week and I think something in a jumbled, multiple personality kinda way is emerging that will actually work big time. Instead of one environment/site, and one iconic sculpture commanding that site... AGO may end up being the most glorious designed mayhem (think Sybil injected by some star-architecture) that actually generates a ton of head-scratching, media awareness and ultimately... traffic to the joint. And I'm only talking about the "outside".

I agree completely. It all somehow works, and feels very unique as a Gehry building, which may end up making it somewhat noteworthy of attention as far as Gehry buildings in general go?

I also agree that the park part of the Grange needs a makeover. I'd love to see a very formal style green space here with parterres, allees, fountains and statues etc. that would compliment the Art Gallery and anchor the wonderful visual 'mayhem' that is evolving at the Grange/AGO. Most parks in Toronto seem fairly relaxed and informal, which is great, but something very formal and urban might work well here in this very dense urban setting that is also a node of culture and design in the city.

Tewder, that's an interesting idea and might make for a vivid contrast with its surroundings, and yet bring the Georgian and formal Grange in from the cold. I would never have thought of that.

Does anybody know if the small parking lot near OCAD is ever going to become part of the park, as was announced so very long ago? I know it required a land deal with the city and the AGO and maybe someone else, but could it really take that long?

Speaking of makeovers, perhaps the apartment building (Whatsitcalled?) at the Grange could be expropriated, turned over to ArtScape with the provision that each balcony become a separate artwork of some sort. Yeah, I know, not gonna happen, but I'd love to see almost anything happen to that building that didn't cause a loss of human life.

Ideally, that whole row of houses would be eliminated continuing the wide sidewalk which begins on University and extends passed the Police station. An Alsop addition could hover over this new space leading you to the AGO at the corner.

Speaking of the Police Station. It looks like they built that "parkette" with the intention of parking police cruisers there in disguise as a community space. When they were forced to remove the cruisers, the whole space just sat dead.

Somebody really needs to redevelop that parkette.

Actually, I believe that wide sidewalk/"parkette" was, indeed, created as a component of a future boulevard-type approach to AGO from the east, And yes, that row of houses was part of what would've been expropriated for such a scheme. Unfortunately, that NE addition to Village By The Grange spoiled the chances of such a scheme ever being pulled off...

Does anybody know if the small parking lot near OCAD is ever going to become part of the park, as was announced so very long ago? I know it required a land deal with the city and the AGO and maybe someone else, but could it really take that long?

Apparently that parking lot will turned over to the park once this stage of AGO construction has been finished, and there will then be a connection under the OCAD table top straight into Grange Park. I am also under the impression that Grange Park is slated for makeover in 2008 or 2009, as part of the settlement that was reached with the Insane Clown Posse -local NIMBY association - that live near site.

Anyhoo, I believe the AGO has stated that the parking lot in question is needed during the construction process because of encroachment by construction equipment on the AGO's proper lot. It's all back earlier in this thread somewhere...

Apparently that parking lot will turned over to the park once this stage of AGO construction has been finished, and there will then be a connection under the OCAD table top straight into Grange Park. I am also under the impression that Grange Park is slated for makeover in 2008 or 2009, as part of the settlement that was reached with the Insane Clown Posse -local NIMBY association - that live near site.

Anyhoo, I believe the AGO has stated that the parking lot in question is needed during the construction process because of encroachment by construction equipment on the AGO's proper lot. It's all back earlier in this thread somewhere...

Best news of the day! Thank you 42!

Yes, I also heard rumblings about the AGO making a deal with the Grange NIMBYs when they raised hell with the first iteration of Transformation AGO.

It would be fun if UT had a fantasy RFP for Grange Park. I'll put something together and submit it shortly. :)

So here's my submission:

Grange Park Fantasy Proposal

picture2mh9.png

This proposal is comprised of the following main sections:

a) John St. continues along a path aligned with The Grange House.

b) The path is ligned with full trees with mingling canopies to block the eye sore of the misplaced apartment block in the park.

22776384.jpg

c) The main new addition to the park is of an outdoor amphitheatre that can be used for outdoor evening theatre, small concerts and other cultural attractions.

This amphitheatre is sunk into the ground with grass steps with a small circular stage at the center.

i.e.:
947498637_067be4755c_o.jpg

121112025_5f099d11a4_o.jpg

w-claremontlandscapegarden-amphiteatre-gallery_picture

Here's an example of these grass steps at our own Music Garden:
22875661_0479af288f.jpg

c) At the base of the Grange House is a large open area paved in artful cobblestone reflecting the history of the museum.

calcada-704467.jpg

This rounded path continues both ways along the front of the building. Botanical arrangements can be placed along the edges of these paths.

This new space creates a good back of the museum entrance for large groups such as schools (Buses can be parked on Grange Road).

This is a multi use space. People can congregate here spontaneously or organized arts exhibits from students at OCAD can take place here.

d) A playground in blue synthetic paving takes its place at the South-East corner of the park. In the interest of safety, it is close to the day care and exposed to McCaul St. via multiple sight lines.

e) OCAD's underbelly parkette is now a part of Grange Park. A path leads to the center of the park.

f) Lighting is implemented with the philosophy of maintaining the dimly lit park. Laterns hanging from trees and lighting from the museum and OCAD provide most of the light available in the park.
Areas such as the OCAD parkette, the playground, the Grange House clearing and the amphitheatre have their own lighting.

g) Lawn lounging is encouraged and perhaps muskoka chairs can be placed about the lawn. Most of the trees are replanted on the SW corner of the park to allow open space in the majority of the Northern section for activities.

So there's my submission. If we happen to get more submissions, perhaps we should move this post and those pertaining to this to a new "Grange Park Fantasy Proposal" thread.

A warning about getting overmanicured/overdesigned. I'd be tempted t/w something more languid, and perhaps reinforcing the classic Ontarian "loop drive" approach to the Grange...

Great ideas Metroman. The relaxed 'Muskoka' feel seems to be emerging as the predominant theme on the Waterfront, so I think i'd take the formality of your Grange Park ideas even further, if for no other reason than just because I can't think of any other truly formal, stylized urban green space in the city. It would certainly compliment Grange House and therefore might create a more cohesive whole that could potentially become an attraction in and of itself.

Other ideas:

- Instead of Muskoka chairs, with a more formal aesthetic why not offer park 'furniture' inspired by the type of wrought iron chairs found in Parisian parks like the Luxembourg or Tuileries?

- More fountains! With the allees of trees you have created the sound of babbling water would really create a nice little green oasis.

- Manicured lawns and topiary. What a novel concept for Toronto where park signs are noted for inviting people to walk on the grass! Still, we are not lacking for informal green space in this city, and this a park that abuts a Georgian mansion and the province's premiere art gallery, surely something a little different for Toronto would be appropriate?

- In summer months a string quartet playing in the gardens. Again, all possible things to attract more to the park and therefore to the Grange/AGO.

Back