News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 649     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

how about 3D's piazza on the north side of Dundas? You'd have to bulldoze a few Victorians...but you would have a proper place to sit and view the AGO..

:D

First of all let me say...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! The blue titanium looks AMAZING in that last set of pics. Someone else mentioned that this is going to make the ROM jealous, and im going to agree. I love the blue!!!

1. Most of the glasses (front on Dundas) are rectangle, so what is the point to have a few triangle pieces?

The triangle pieces are needed to make the glass bend inward on the corners. If you look at the glass from the east or west you can see that it bends on both corners. Its these triangular pieces that allow the bend to occur.

2. The curve area, do they have space for display or there's no upper level? At first, I thought the upper level is extended all the way to the curve, but now that it's sealed? Why not extend all the way to have more space?

The upper level is extended all the way to the curve. The wall is needed to protect the interior since the glass isnt installed yet.

The upper level is extended all the way to the curve. The wall is needed to protect the interior since the glass isnt installed yet.

Nope. The Galeria Italia goes up to that point only. The curled up glass is mostly cosmetic, although it will provide a canopy above the corner of Dundas & McCaul where the Henry Moore sculpture will be.

Nope. The Galeria Italia goes up to that point only. The curled up glass is mostly cosmetic, although it will provide a canopy above the corner of Dundas & McCaul where the Henry Moore sculpture will be.

Why would it be enclosed on both ends if it was only cosmetic?:confused:

The structure currently up is Galeria Italia. It's closed on both ends and will remain that way.

ago3-1.jpg

Being built now are the curled up 'wings' which are cosmetic. They won't be enclosed, nor will they have a floor. The only functional purpose one can think of is that they'll serve as a roof for an outdoor square.

The central section of the gallery is enclosed fully on all sides against the elements, because it is an extension of the interior of the art gallery proper. Wouldn't want wind blowing through that.

The two cosmetic end sections that are being built at both the east and west ends of the gallery's central section are really just curved roofs, open to the elements on all sides. They're essentially glorified overhangs. They'll act as a playful foils to the form and function of the central gallery. ...I think.

From the Art Gallery Of Ontario Website
Front
north-1.jpg

East End
north-east.jpg

West End
north-west.jpg

Hope this helps.

I'm loving the AGO's blue so much that I decided to make a crude draw up of how I would have the ROM's cladding re-done:

romcrystaldaymy0.jpg

The red glass entrance marker serves as inspiration for this: Replace the mismatched aluminum slats with semi opaque red glass. Add LED's under these glass slats that would light up the entire structure to a red glow at night.

Libeskind is the loser when it comes to a show down of both buildings, not because of his design but because of his choice of finishings. Gehry is known for the details and it shows in the AGO.

Thanks for the update! I like the reference to a zeppelin that someone made in one of the first photos. Also, I am just now noticing that there is an outside section to the gallery seen if you look at the model. Is this still going to happen?

I love it!!! Even the Grange Park side which manages to achieve a similar effect to what new developments at the Distillery are achieving, which is to say a bold and richly layered contrast of architecture that is so very much the Toronto of now.

...but Dundas Street? Yikes, what a freakin' mess! Please, please somebody tell me that a plan is afoot for this stretch of Dundas. I'm begging. My faith in this city will be entirely restored, I promise. I know Toronto is not Paris and all that stuff - blah, blah, blah - but can we at least aspire to better than that mess?

photos

CN, fabulous photos and a lot of work went into them. Much appreciated. Lovely project.

I agree that the Grange side is a bit of a mess. Best look up. Surely the AGO is plotting their next Zaha Hadid 20 storey addition to make the locals crazy. We can make the whole Grange area like a big game of architectural pile-on.

will the titanium be that blue, or is that a plastic film over the sheets to prevent scratching while workers install the panels? If it really is that blue, then I agree with the sentiment on this forum - WOW.

It looks like, from the model and renderings, there will be an exterior walkway on the fronts of those cosmetic wings. I wonder if that is still the case, or if that was changed?

Back